What's new

ntpMerlin Chrony 4.0

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

NTS is the major new feature/function. It also added many new features/enhancements:

I agree that it appears to be doing a better job at real time management.

Now, to find NTS servers and setup Asuswrt-Merlin chrony to use NTS. I tried (I have been running a self compiled 4.0). I'm not a security guru and it was a bit over my head.

Now that it is in the wild, I'm hoping some clever users will come up with the steps to setup and enable NTS server attachments on Asuswrt-Merlin.

BTW, if you install chrony (via spdmerlin) you also install chronyc - a command line tool (spdmerlin uses this to collect the stats that are graphed).

To explore, you can run chronyc in interactive mode. Just enter chronyc.
You will be at the chronyc command prompt:

chronyc>

Enter the command help to get started

chronyc> help

NTS is the major new feature/function. It also added many new features/enhancements:

I agree that it appears to be doing a better job at real time management.

Now, to find NTS servers and setup Asuswrt-Merlin chrony to use NTS. I tried (I have been running a self compiled 4.0). I'm not a security guru and it was a bit over my head.

Now that it is in the wild, I'm hoping some clever users will come up with the steps to setup and enable NTS server attachments on Asuswrt-Merlin.

BTW, if you install chrony (via spdmerlin) you also install chronyc - a command line tool (spdmerlin uses this to collect the stats that are graphed).

To explore, you can run chronyc in interactive mode. Just enter chronyc.
You will be at the chronyc command prompt:

chronyc>

Enter the command help to get started

chronyc> help
i can brush off the NTS default conf file I had, at last

Hiya, what happened here? It is too good to be truth. Things appear normal but look at graphs - that is impossible. OK at least I have never seen it on my router
Code:
Stratum         : 8
Ref time (UTC)  : Sat Dec 05 08:27:05 2020
System time     : 0.000000038 seconds slow of NTP time
Last offset     : +0.000000000 seconds
RMS offset      : 0.000000000 seconds
Frequency       : 6.130 ppm slow
Residual freq   : +0.000 ppm
Skew            : 0.000 ppm
Root delay      : 0.000000000 seconds
Root dispersion : 0.000000000 seconds
Update interval : 0.0 seconds
Leap status     : Normal
chrony.png

Last edited:
Graphs are still working btw when I REALLY zoom in I can see some fluctuation - it just units that have changed dramatically. Unbelievable. @Jack Yaz - we need nanoseconds now not milliseconds

Last edited:
View attachment 28226
looks like entware may have built it without nts support?
I was afraid of that... When I compiled chrony on my AX88U, it did not include NTS as well. Compiled on a Rpi4 running Raspbian, NTS was included.

There is a configure script in the chrony build directory that checks for GnuTLS. If not present, no NTS. Entware does have libgnutls but it's headers etc must not have been in the compile path. Just a guess.

I thought I had mentioned this to the Entware devs. I will log another issue on github.

i replied to your existing issue :)
I was afraid of that... When I compiled chrony on my AX88U, it did not include NTS as well. Compiled on a Rpi4 running Raspbian, NTS was included.

There is a configure script in the chrony build directory that checks for GnuTLS. If not present, no NTS. Entware does have libgnutls but it's headers etc must not have been in the compile path. Just a guess.

I thought I had mentioned this to the Entware devs. I will log another issue on github.

Hiya, what happened here? It is too good to be truth. Things appear normal but look at graphs - that is impossible. OK at least I have never seen it on my router

hmmm... I'll turn off my local gps time source and see...

hmmm... I'll turn off my local gps time source and see...
Too early to celebrate - usually if something sounds too good to be truth it is not.
Despite accepting now nts parameter I also can see in logs Missing NTS support. Switching back non nts brings the noise back.
So I guess it was not running as expected -i.e. not communicating with ntp severs at all

Graphs are still working btw when I REALLY zoom in I can see some fluctuation - it just units that have changed dramatically. Unbelievable. @Jack Yaz - we need nanoseconds now not milliseconds
Well sounds we will have to settle on μs for now :)

Well sounds we will have to settle on μs for now :)
Maybe. Unless you are running a local chrony NTP server with attached GPS:

Reference ID : C0A801CD (RaspiServer)
Stratum : 2
Ref time (UTC) : Sat Dec 05 13:46:31 2020
System time : 0.000000265 seconds slow of NTP time
Last offset : -0.000000470 seconds
RMS offset : 0.000004017 seconds
Frequency : 1.330 ppm slow
Residual freq : -0.000 ppm
Skew : 0.054 ppm
Root delay : 0.001356251 seconds
Root dispersion : 0.000105098 seconds
Update interval : 16.0 seconds
Leap status : Normal

;-)

Maybe. Unless you are running a local chrony NTP server with attached GPS<snip>
yes it easy to get spoiled... amazes me the resolution I get... and no need to get permission from the low stratum server operators at the 'usual' institutions...