What's new

Cisco Killing my network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

CyberGaut

New Around Here
So I have a fairly simple network.
ISP modem in in Bridge mode giving me a clean (but dynamic) IP,
Asus RT-AX86U as primary gateway, DHCP and 1st mesh node. Running latest Merlin build.
Asus RT-AX55 as Mesh Node, hardwired to the AX86 (with a simple switch between to attach the home theater)
Running a line to the back room in the basement I have an 8 port D-Link switch that connects the 2 servers, basement XBOX(s), and hardline to "main PC" in the house)
Servers are:
Dell PE 2950 - TrueNAS, Plex, MineOS
Linovo TD340 - 2 VMs with PiHoles, migrating other services in time to here and making the PE just a backup server. Lots of spare storage.

So I found a Cisco SG300 28 PP on Kijiji (Canadian ~ Craigslist)
I wanted to set up both servers with LAG connections and start learning about networking, and figured this would be a great start to POE cameras etc.
Got it home and did a full factory reset, then updated to latest firmware, then another factory reset.
DHCP off, new login and password, new fixed IP address 192.168.1.2, turned POE off on 18 of the 24 ports. Set 23+24 as Lag1, 21+22 as Lag2 (both with LACP), left in Layer 2 mode

One early morning (while the family was still sleeping) I brought down the net, replaced the 8Port with the Cisco.
Configured each router to LACP LAG, ran twin matched cable between the machines and the Switch, also connected all other links to the switch.
At first it seemed fine, but then weird S#!% started happening. My Pihole tracker could not reach the VM's, the BDS NAS manager could not see one then either NAS, the Mesh link went down, Mesh disconnected and would not reconnect (reboot, reset, etc.)

After two days of pulling out my hair, I stayed up cleared all network setting on the NAS, rebuilt the LAG on the NAS(s), and rebuilt the LAGs on the Cisco.
Still no dice.
Cleared all settings on NAS network again and the LAGs on the Cisco and set up standard (no LAG single wire) connections, still not Pi hole and Mesh issues.
removed the Cisco and plugged in the old 8 port. Everything comes up, Mesh reconnects, works great.

So what is the stupid setting I didn't know I have to play with that broke my network?
I am going to plug in an old Asus router to segregate the network and then the cisco with a computer two to test.
Any thoughts besides I bought a broken machine...

Thanks SNB community

port lights indicate correctly ?
Do the fans run ?
did you try any ping tests through the SG ?
any vlans ?

port lights indicate correctly ?
Do the fans run ?
did you try any ping tests through the SG ?
any vlans ?
All good questions
Lights, yep all work as expected
Fans, yep, running
vLans, no not yet, still a simple sytem

Ping test, well that might have been smart. no not yet

Wired AiMesh doesn't work with managed switch between routers. Cisco or other brands.
Oh??? that sucks.
Either way, the 2 AiMesh nodes are connected by an unmanaged switch, the managed switch is running from a different port and expanding the network for the servers and other gear. Here is the layout (ish)

.................................Internet --- Modem.................Other PC
.......................................................................|.............................|
Mesh Node --- basic switch ---- Router ------ SG300 ---- Server(s)
........................................ | ..............................|............................|
................................ TV+Xbox.................Printer...............basic switch --- Xbox(s)

Once the SG300 was removed the Mesh stated up with no other changes.
This is good to know, as I was considering rewiring to have everything go through the SG

Edited to add "." for positioning

@CyberGaut Thanks for the diagram, but I can't figure it out. It looks like there are multiple connections between network segments.

@CyberGaut Thanks for the diagram, but I can't figure it out. It looks like there are multiple connections between network segments.
I think his diagram is meant to look like this (where "Router" is the AiMesh Router):
Code:
                Internet -------- Modem          Other PC
                                    |               |
                                    |               |
Mesh Node --- basic switch ------ Router -------- SG300 ---- Server(s)
                   |                |               |
                TV+Xbox          Printer       basic switch --- Xbox(s)
So it doesn't look like the SG300 is between the router and the node, which I think we were assuming it was.

Oh??? that sucks.
Either way, the 2 AiMesh nodes are connected by an unmanaged switch, the managed switch is running from a different port and expanding the network for the servers and other gear. Here is the layout (ish)

.................................Internet --- Modem.................Other PC
.......................................................................|.............................|
Mesh Node --- basic switch ---- Router ------ SG300 ---- Server(s)
........................................ | ..............................|............................|
................................ TV+Xbox.................Printer...............basic switch --- Xbox(s)

Once the SG300 was removed the Mesh stated up with no other changes.
This is good to know, as I was considering rewiring to have everything go through the SG

Edited to add "." for positioning
What a horrible diagram. I think nobody can help you with that diagram. I don't understand what your diagram shows. Draw it with windows paint something.

I think his diagram is meant to look like this (where "Router" is the AiMesh Router):
Code:
                Internet -------- Modem          Other PC
                                    |               |
                                    |               |
Mesh Node --- basic switch ------ Router -------- SG300 ---- Server(s)
                TV+Xbox          Printer       basic switch --- Xbox(s)
So it doesn't look like the SG300 is between the router and the node, which I think we were assuming it was.

switch> switch> XBOX? What is he doing?

Try only plugging in the Cisco switch to the router. Plug all other devices into the switch. If this works then you are creating a network storm somehow with the original setup. If plugging everything into just Cisco switch does not fix it then you have a configuration issue on the switch. Next try not using LAGs as maybe there is a problem with your LAGs.

I ran one of those switches for years. I think my Cisco switch was a SG300-28 which would run the same code base.

Last edited:
Why would that be if no managed features are being used?

I don't have the answer; research on software level is needed. Some switches may work, but I have a few around and none work with AiMesh 2.0. I read about it here on SNB and decided to test. AiMesh 2.0 uses VLANs for the GN, as far as I know. Something messes up the tagging as a wild guess.

I have no way to examine the software, but I can check what comes in and goes out of managed switches by default. I guess all tagging is lost when the switch is not configured and AiMesh router doesn't get the expected response from the node.

What a horrible diagram. I think nobody can help you with that diagram. I don't understand what your diagram shows. Draw it with windows paint something.
Yep, I know, but Colin go it.
I was in a hurry and used spaces, then the forum auto collapse the spaces.

thanks for the recommendations, I have tried with the lag(s) removed, and will try again.
I will also try removing as much as possible from the network to see if I can go Asus router -> Switch -> everything else

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!