What's new

Cisco Meraki MX64 Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Anybody run one of these? It is different than what I think of Cisco. It is not command line based but sets up easily. The price is not bad but you have to buy a license. You can buy 3 year or 5 year. I guess it depends on how often you change routers. Price wise it will come in where high end consumer routers are these days about $360 plus license.
It has these features.

These are really nice for branch offices, small businesses, small retail, and small footprint hospitality (think coffee shops and restaurants).

We use these in the small office locations with 200 mBit symmetric fiber.

Being centrally managed is a big plus here.

~$400 - MX64
~$200-$900 = License
View attachment 40819
~$200-$4200 - license durations depending on license type

So, base price w/ base license + 1 year duration.
$800

Max licensing / features / duration - $5500
You guys don't understand Cisco enterprise gear. What I stated is what I would do. I can tell you have never dealt with Cisco licensing. You guys are spreading fake info which is I guess what you want to do to discourage people so they will buy your products instead.

I actually like the Cisco Firepower 1010 firewall better.

I have never worked for Cisco. I have bought millions of dollars of Cisco enterprise level networking gear in the past.

So, what are the benefits of a device like this, since DPI is pretty useless due to encrypted traffic?
Why should it be considered as a good standalone gateway?

I don't really know as that is why I asked. My thinking it is a simple but reliable device for a POS device that ties together mid-scale. Their bigger routers are expensive not as expensive as the large Cisco enterprise gear. I guess it's line competes in the middle scale sized networks. It is a GUI kind of setup not command line where the code comes from the cloud but it is not a cloud router and it can all tie together in the cloud for lots of sites.

I can live with 200meg/10. There are only a few times that I run out of upload so I could use this router. I would prefer an AT&T fiber but I don't have an option. It is a ways down the street from me but I have been waiting years.

Last edited:
I can live with 200meg/10. There are only a few times that I run out of upload so I could use this router. I would prefer an AT&T fiber but I don't have an option. It is a ways down the street from me but I have been waiting years.

ATT is the alternate here in my neighborhood, but it's old-school DSL 100mbit, no FTTN/FTTP here...

That could change at any moment now that T-Mobile is offering up 5G Fixed Wireless - 50 bucks flat rate for decent BW and no data caps - I've got one setup as a test bed (leaving my CoxHSI for normal usage), and getting fairly consistent 500/50 here and not much latency surprisingly - since it's T-mobile, it's IPv6 first, and IPv4 is natted (no public IPv4, similar to but not same as cgnat)