What's new

Cisco RV-340 Time to Tinker

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

What I have is:
Cisco Smart License.png

I am not sure that is the same as Umbrella but I will try and find out.

Umbrella requires a separate license it seems. Please do let me know if you end up getting one for testing. I am curious.

I am waiting for someone to test it before I buy a license. If you can't use Cisco's Umbrella then I would use QUAD9, 9.9.9.9 for DNS.

So just to close the loop - I am currently using (with a valid license) the IPS features on the RV340 but am unable to use the anti-virus options as it reduces downloads from 950Mbps to 150Mbps. This is consistent over several days and regardless other options selected.

What confuses me is that the documentation says that it should not affect download speeds and I cannot find anyone else complaining or describing of the same issue. There was a thread on Cisco forums discussing high CPU usage about a year and two firmware loads ago but that does not seem to be my issue. A posting on Cisco forums has gone unanswered so no help there.

Should I just be giving up? It just feels to me like I am not setting something up correctly .....

what part of these services are performed in the "cloud " ? Used to be a good fraction a few generations ago.,

Good question - I am not certain though I think all scanning is done on the router using the licensed IPS and Antivirus signature files. Umbrella is done in the cloud I believe.

What I heard there is only 1 license for the RV340 router. I thought if you bought it you could run everything under the locked security menu heading on the RV340 router. You may want to investigate by contacting your Cisco partner that you bought the router from.

Application statistics is in there too.

If your internet speed was not a gig then it would probably all work fine. It just takes a lot to scan a gig of traffic.

Was hoping that the new firmware would resolve this but no luck. I am now resolved to using IPS but not the Anti-Virus which is unfortunate. Have written to Cisco tech support a couple of times but have not received any input either through email or via the cisco small business forums.

I think you are better off not running any scanning on network traffic using the RV340 router. Add a backend UTM device for traffic scanning as I described above if you want deep packet scanning.

Firmware upgrades with small numbers are just fixes for something.

Just as an update. I had initiated a Cisco TAC request and they did ultimately get back to me, first acknowledging that they could replicate the issue in the lab and then a couple of days ago with a beta firmware which has resolved the issue completely. I am now seeing full anticipated download speeds (approx. 930Mbps +/- down from a 1Gig service) with antivirus enabled. So, took a while but it looks like it is now resolved. They say that this fix will be incorporated into the next firmware release. For now, if you are seeing the same issue they are asking you to initiate a TAC request and they will offer up the beta firmware.

Just thought I would pass that on.

@jasonreg - Thanks for your work on the issue and for the update (and to Cisco for responding with a fix in relatively timely manner). I'm sure @coxhaus will be pleased to learn of this as well.

No problem at all. I definitely ask more questions than I answer here but happy to help out when I can. Three days later and all seems stable. Download speeds remain in the expected range and unaffected by the antivirus settings.