What's new

Cisco SMB WRP500-A-K9 End Of Sale Date 3/15/2019

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

adamson

Occasional Visitor
If you want one of these time is running out. Not the easiest device to set up, but when done properly this device is flawless. There is a engineering special ES firmware that is not offered unless you jump through hoops to get it with Cisco. It addresses CVE-2015-6358 man-in-the-middle attack vulnerability. I use it with Comcast via a Netgear C7000 V1 bridged, and Phonepower VOIP using SIP credentials. Link at bottom of post for ES firmware patch.

1.0.1.002 is last release available firmware and then you need to get the patched version bin. End Of Support Date for this device is 3/31/2024. I would gather this will be the last small form factor router/voip device made by Cisco. This has dual band 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless AC and backwards. Not the most powerful antenna's, although an extender will be needed for a larger office or home.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/wrp500-a-k9-wrp500_1-0-1_002es01-patch-firmware.55568/

Last edited:
I try to avoid Cisco gear which requires TAC support. You have to pay every year for TAC support. Do you happen to know what it costs?

Cisco pro gear runs great. I used it for years before I retired.

I just looked this device up. It is listed under small business devices. I am confused I thought Cisco small business devices had free software updates. It looks like a nice small travel router.

Cheapest in stock is at allhd.com $195 free ship. There are firmware updates for device, although they decided to not place the special ES firmware on the device web page at cisco. So wrong actually. I did not pay for update and my WRP500 is over a year old. I do not have a support contract either. Make them feel your pain.

There are a lot of hacks out for these older Cisco small business routers. I would not use one. Once these devices hit EOL then Cisco drops support for them.

When I setup VOIP I used a Cisco L3 small business switch. It is kind of built-in to the Cisco small business switches which makes it easy to setup with QoS.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!