What's new

[CLOSED] Asuswrt-Merlin 378.50 Beta 1 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow this sounds like an AWESOME update!

Really excited to test out the traffic analyzer. Only thing is that my router is working perfectly... and I don't feel like dealing with glitches :). So I'll just go donate a couple extra bucks to Merlin's work :D.

Traffic Analyzer isn't fully functional yet, it's still a work-in-progress. That's why it's not enabled on the webui either.

Merlin,
This beta is only 19MB for n66u , it's significantly smaller than the previous builds of 26MB, are we missing something? :)

Explanation is in the changelog.

I'm thinking about going back to 49_5...IPv6 is not working right, and things seem to be taking longer on the internet with this release. I'm getting the IPv6 prefix stuff on my router like usual, but my computer keeps losing IPv6 not too long after rebooting. Can't really tell why, nothing in the log that seems to relate to that.

I'll try it without IPv6 first, and see if that speeds things up, then maybe reflash and reset again. And hope for the best.

Could be I'll just catch it again when it's no longer Beta.

The WAN/LAN Bandwidth Monitor thing looks cool, though *smile*.

Update: does seem much faster loading pages on the internet with IPv6 disabled. So I'll try reflashing and reset again. And see how that looks.

Update 2: Re-flashed and reset to defaults again...same result, bad IPv6. Back to 49_5.

There's been little changes to IPv6 in this build, so it might be the usual randomness that comes with Comcast's IPv6 support.

Well this firmware is giving me trouble on my rt-ac68 with my hard drive again, makes no sense since the stock 378 works fine.

is giving me the following error on the hdd status

Code:
Failed to calloc 122094000 bytes: Cannot allocate memory
Checking cluster allocation ...
ERROR(12): Failed to setup allocation bitmap: Cannot allocate memory
Syncing device ...
Rolled back to stock 378 and all is fine.

This is a filesystem check that's failing due to the disk being too large for the amount of memory on the router.

Merlin,
This beta is only 19MB for n66u , it's significantly smaller than the previous builds of 26MB, are we missing something? :)

The changelog hints that download master is not included.

Could be the reason for a much more responsive router? :D:D

Can't wait for this to go final and be able to show customers another reason they were led to an Asus/RMerlin router. :)

This is being tested on an RT-N66U and for the last 5.5 hours, the network has been fast, fluid and stable.

There's been little changes to IPv6 in this build, so it might be the usual randomness that comes with Comcast's IPv6 support.

Could be, except that IPv6 has been stable here lately using 49_5, fine for 4 days before upgrading to 50_Beta. And now, back on 49_5, it's stable again. I was losing IPv6 pretty quickly after getting it set up in the router with 50_Beta. I'd get it back after a computer reboot, and then lose it again quickly. Not to mention the slowness of web pages coming up with IPv6 enabled and running. Fine now that I've gone back to 49_5. And I did try twice, too.

So, believe it or don't, there may be an IPv6 problem in this release. I don't know for sure, but what I'm seeing points at that.

Adaptive QoS is really nice. In addition to being compatible with NAT acceleration, it automatically detects and classifies most types of traffic. Then, you can use plain drag and drop to reorganize either categories, or specific devices.

That sounds awesome! :)

Could be, except that IPv6 has been stable here lately using 49_5, fine for 4 days before upgrading to 50_Beta. And now, back on 49_5, it's stable again. I was losing IPv6 pretty quickly after getting it set up in the router with 50_Beta. I'd get it back after a computer reboot, and then lose it again quickly. Not to mention the slowness of web pages coming up with IPv6 enabled and running. Fine now that I've gone back to 49_5. And I did try twice, too.

So, believe it or don't, there may be an IPv6 problem in this release. I don't know for sure, but what I'm seeing points at that.

I'll see what happens when other Comcast customers start testing it.

The changelog hints that download master is not included.

Could be the reason for a much more responsive router? :D:D

No, all it does is free up flash space by not having the packages in /rom.

I don't remember any particular change in the code that could lead to improved performance, to be honest.

After I remembered to enable jffs scripts (and that option was immediately available) my setup seems to be working like it did with 376.49_5: DNScrypt and OpenVPN running fine.

AC68U(After factory reset)

1st:
After upgrading to the .50, the CFE version is 1.0.1.6.

2nd:
I found in .50, if I add "strict-order" to "dnsmasq.conf.add", then I can't ping nothing from router until I ping the same host from a client (I can ping any hosts from a client). But after the cache of dnsmasq expired, then again I can't ping that host from router, which resulting in NTP not working, and thus DDNS, ipv6 tunnel and anything depending on the sync of time.
Removing "strict-order" makes pinging on the router work again.
This didn't happen on previous version. I'm using PPPoE for WAN.
I can't post "dnsmasq.conf" here becasue it says I'm blocked becasue of some keyword violation or whatever.
/etc/dnsmasq.conf:
http://freetexthost.com/wwloqyhikw

/tmp/resolv.conf:
Code:
nameserver 208.67.220.220
nameserver 208.67.222.222

resolv.dnsmasq:

Code:
server=/local/208.67.220.220
server=/local/208.67.222.222
server=/local/208.67.220.220
server=/local/208.67.222.222
server=2620:0:ccc::2
server=2620:0:ccd::2

After going through official 3.0.0.4.378.3873 as an intermediate, CFE now 1.0.2.0. So the CFE upgrader in this version didn't work for all user.

My AC68U is still at 1.0.1.1 CFE after flashing this, with everything else working smoothly. Did factory reset both before and after flashing.

Last edited:
Merlin i have a question about aiprotection ..... how this works ?
it searches the address against a remote DB on asus or trend, or it has a built in DB ?
if it has a built in one do you know how often updates will come , and will it be automatic update?

My AC68U is still at 1.0.1.1 CFE after flashing this, with everything else working smoothly. Did factory reset both before and after flashing.

In my case without 1.0.2.0 CFE, "Adaptive Qos -> Web history" doesn't work and CPU usage almost 100% when refreshing this page.

No, that settings is specifically used by cstats and rstats.

I think Asus will eventually store their database in the jffs partition, but that's just a guess.

It is indeed stored to the JFFS partition as the data survives a reboot. Not to keen on that.

In my case without 1.0.2.0 CFE, "Adaptive Qos -> Web history" doesn't work and CPU usage almost 100% when refreshing this page.

You need to ensure on of the three Trend Micro options is enabled for the Web History to work. Otherwise, the Trend Micro engine is disabled and the history will not populate.

It seems that FTP server on my N66U doesn't work with the beta1 firmware.
I have 3 network cameras and i use FTP to upload pictures-videos in a usb flash drive, but since yesterday, and after a clean install with the same settings it doesn't work.
Also the ftp://{}.asuscomm.com/ link it's not accesible.

Status
Not open for further replies.