What's new

[CLOSED] Asuswrt-Merlin 378.50 Beta 1 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took it for a spin today on my RT-AC87U.

I have some strange problems after factory reset that I saw on Stock FW as well:

After 5 sec reset I attached an Ubuntu machine to the LAN-side. Changed to AP mode, no problem.

Changed timezone on the system page (which now works - great!) and the router went into the state where I get a grey page telling me that the IP-address has changed? And soon thereafter the web server stops responding.

Rebooted the router and now it seems to work - being able to set my wireless settings etc.

Something fishy with the system page? something that get submitted in the form silently that can cause this odd behaviour?

You need to ensure on of the three Trend Micro options is enabled for the Web History to work. Otherwise, the Trend Micro engine is disabled and the history will not populate.

I didn't touch anything about Trend Micro engine after factory reset, and the "Web History" barely worked with very odd behavior with CFE 1.0.1.6(It displayed something all of a sudden and after a while nothing there, and the CPU usage almost maxed out when trying to refresh). But with CFE 1.0.2.0, under same setting, "web History" works smoothly.

Testing 50_beta1

Hi RMerlin and thanks for you new build.

I have done some testing and found some quirks.

- Can't turn off DST time zone changes start/ends -- missing click box
- Wifi 2.4 Ghz Settings N-ony, 40Mhz, ch 13 below, wpa2-aes. I get showed max speed 216,7 Mbps
- Vsftpd can't connect secured, SSL don't connect, working without security. Compiled against right SSL?
maby have to do I can't execute any firewall rules to PASV ports.
- If you remove WAN-cabel and put it back wan doesn't come back, I have to turn internetconnection ON/OFF to get it back again.
- My firewall-start script doesn't get executed, /jffs/configs/firewall-start. chmod 0755

Best regards
Octopus

Last edited:
FTP server does not work.
RT-N16-Asuswrt-Merlin 378.50 Beta1.

I have noticed that the Network Map does struggles to pull in names for clients set in the manually assigned IP list. It does for some clients and it doesn't for others, namely iphones. Also, when you hover over the wireless strength icon it now shows Very Strong, Strgon, etc where previously it showed a RSSI number.

Octopus, in relation to your firewall start/stop script not running have you checked that "Enable JFFS custom scripts and configs" on the Administration->System tab is enabled? I don't recall this setting being there in previous builds and I had the same issue of none of my scripts running until I noticed this and checked the setting to on.

I just re-tested FTP, and it's working fine for me. I was able to log in using both the admin user and an additional user, and to access a shared folder, and download from it.

Code:
Status:	Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Response:	220 Welcome to ASUS RT-AC87U FTP service.
Command:	USER Merlin
Response:	331 Please specify the password.
Command:	PASS ****************
Response:	230 Login successful.
Command:	OPTS UTF8 ON
Response:	200 Always in UTF8 mode.
Command:	CWD /KT410/Share
Response:	250 Directory successfully changed.
Command:	PWD
Response:	257 "/KT410/Share"
Command:	TYPE I
Response:	200 Switching to Binary mode.
Command:	PASV
Response:	227 Entering Passive Mode (192,168,10,1,33,44).
Command:	RETR bwdpi.app.db
Response:	150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for /tmp/mnt/KT410/Share/bwdpi.app.db (11535 bytes).
Response:	226 Transfer complete.
Status:	File transfer successful, transferred 11,535 bytes in 1 second

I have noticed that the Network Map does struggles to pull in names for clients set in the manually assigned IP list. It does for some clients and it doesn't for others, namely iphones. Also, when you hover over the wireless strength icon it now shows Very Strong, Strgon, etc where previously it showed a RSSI number.

The RSSI value was my own code. Asus on their end added a general signal strength indicator, which I decided to keep for now.

- Can't turn off DST time zone changes start/ends -- missing click box

Asus removed the option to enable/disable it. Now, if you select a timezone that supports DST, the start/end field are always displayed (it will default to what are the regular start/end values for the selected timezone).

- Wifi 2.4 Ghz Settings N-ony, 40Mhz, ch 13 below, wpa2-aes. I get showed max speed 216,7 Mbps

Try channel 11. Also, it's possible the router downgraded to 20 MHz due to the presence of interference.

- Vsftpd can't connect secured, SSL don't connect, working without security. Compiled against right SSL?
maby have to do I can't execute any firewall rules to PASV ports.

Make sure you enable the new option that enables scripts/config file support, under Administration -> System.

- If you remove WAN-cabel and put it back wan doesn't come back, I have to turn internetconnection ON/OFF to get it back again.

What was in the System Log during that time? It's possible it takes some time for the router to determine there was indeed loss of connectivity before it tries to re-establish a connection.

- My firewall-start script doesn't get executed, /jffs/configs/firewall-start. chmod 0755

Same as above, check the state of the custom script/config setting.

Using the RT-AC56U dpi build, the ftp server won't even start here, the log ends like this:
Code:
Jan 26 17:06:31 Samba Server: smb daemon is stopped
Jan 26 17:06:31 kernel: gro disabled
Jan 26 17:06:31 kernel: gro enabled with interval 2
Jan 26 17:06:32 Samba Server: daemon is started
Jan 26 17:08:03 dropbear[3124]: Child connection from 192.168.1.10:56006
Jan 26 17:08:04 dropbear[3124]: Pubkey auth succeeded for 'admin' with key md5 31:bc:ac:bb:70:c5:54:27:f0:73:b8:90:cb:18:2b:b7 from 192.168.1.10:56006
Jan 26 17:09:15 rc_service: httpd 705:notify_rc restart_ftpsamba
Jan 26 17:09:15 FTP Server: daemon is stopped
Jan 26 17:09:16 Samba Server: smb daemon is stopped
Jan 26 17:09:16 kernel: gro disabled
Jan 26 17:09:16 kernel: gro enabled with interval 2
Jan 26 17:09:17 Samba Server: daemon is started
Jan 26 17:09:27 rc_service: httpd 705:notify_rc restart_ftpsamba
Jan 26 17:09:28 FTP Server: daemon is stopped
Jan 26 17:09:29 Samba Server: smb daemon is stopped
Jan 26 17:09:29 kernel: gro disabled
Jan 26 17:09:29 kernel: gro enabled with interval 2
Jan 26 17:09:30 Samba Server: daemon is started
Note that I never used the ftp before, just tried to test it since I notice many have issues with it.

Hi RMerlin,

With this new .378.50 built, is there any heads up from Asus pertaining to the Port 1 and 2 Teaming features enabled for RT-AC87 or has it been incorporated?

I'm always getting random freeze if I RDP into one of my 2008R2 PC or watching video files through shared folders with Intel dual lan SLA configured.

Connecting 2 Eth cables to any of the four ports from the router also yield the same issue.

But with my RT-N66 there isn't any issues.

I have yet updated to .378.50b, still on .376.49.5

Appreciate your insights.

Thanks

OK, maybe I have a clue what may be happening in my case:
Code:
admin@Sidonia:/tmp/home/root# vsftpd /etc/vsftpd.conf
500 OOPS: run two copies of vsftpd for IPv4 and IPv6
Code:
admin@Sidonia:/tmp/home/root# cat /etc/vsftpd.conf
anonymous_enable=YES
anon_upload_enable=YES
anon_mkdir_write_enable=YES
anon_other_write_enable=YES
nopriv_user=root
write_enable=YES
local_enable=YES
chroot_local_user=YES
local_umask=000
dirmessage_enable=NO
xferlog_enable=NO
syslog_enable=NO
connect_from_port_20=YES
use_localtime=YES
listen_ipv6=YES
pasv_enable=YES
ssl_enable=NO
tcp_wrappers=NO
max_clients=5
ftp_username=anonymous
ftpd_banner=Welcome to ASUS RT-AC56U FTP service.

Jimmy are using NTFS or a Linux-formatted disk?

This is a filesystem check that's failing due to the disk being too large for the amount of memory on the router.
Jimmy8881, have fixed a couple of different AC68u performance issues by switching from an ext2 Linux format to NTFS format for USB-attached storage.

Just upgraded a TMAC1900 (AC68u-equivalent) that already had CFE 1.0.2.0 (US) to Merlin _50 beta without incident. Overclocking to 1200,800 continues to work fine. Nice to see that Samba max user count can now easily be set to 10, thanks as usual RMerlin.

Last edited:
Some more tests with the ftp server lead to a reboot of my AC56U, it seems that vsftpd corrupts the memory, for example the text editor nano stops working after I try to start vsftpd, it segfaults. Not a show stopper for me since I do not need ftp, but those who do, beware.

Last edited:
Hi RMerlin and thanks for you new build.

That relates to the WAN not re-connecting issues with firmware 378.

What does the new bootloader do for us running 1.0.1.1 that use the button overclock?

I wouldn't want to lose the overclock, ever.

What does the new bootloader do for us running 1.0.1.1 that use the button overclock?

I wouldn't want to lose the overclock, ever.

My understanding is that you have to be on CFE 1.0.2.0 at a minimum for the new release to function properly.

Asus removed the option to enable/disable it. Now, if you select a timezone that supports DST, the start/end field are always displayed (it will default to what are the regular start/end values for the selected timezone).

Okey then I know, It's by design.

Try channel 11. Also, it's possible the router downgraded to 20 MHz due to the presence of interference.

This working seems that Acrylic wifi have serious problem with theirs program. Inssider and all working god.

Make sure you enable the new option that enables scripts/config file support, under Administration -> System.

Yes I have enables it. That was couple of things CR/LF was one of them. And needed update path ~/scripts/. Removed everything in /jffs and format again put all back and it's working.

What was in the System Log during that time? It's possible it takes some time for the router to determine there was indeed loss of connectivity before it tries to re-establish a connection.

This I must test again, no big problem just have to report it.

Same as above, check the state of the custom script/config setting.

VSFTPD is working if you don't use SSL, can you check so it's compiled against right program, that was the problem last time
Is it any changes in new 3.0.2 and we need to adapt new changes ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.