What's new

[CLOSED] Asuswrt-Merlin 378.50 Beta 1 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
FTP

On my RT-N66U FTP does not appear to work, I get the following when I try to connect;

root@??????:~# ftp 192.168.1.1
Connected to 192.168.1.1.
421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection

Linux prompt overclocking less convenient but more flexible

What does the new bootloader do for us running 1.0.1.1 that use the button overclock?...wouldn't want to lose the overclock, ever.
There exists the less convenient alternative of SSH secure shell-ing (via a free XShell4 download, say) to the Linux prompt of your Merlin router, and issuing the commands

nvram set clkfreq=1200,800
nvram commit
reboot

The consolation prize here is that you get to use any combo of overclocking you might think of. First number is CPU speed, second number is memory speed.

Some people report 1400,800 working. Others might want to overclock the CPU and not the memory, say with 1200,666. 1200, 800 has worked great for me on an RT-AC68u. Overclocking will persist after reboot if you have for example CFE 1.0.2.0 (US) bootloader.

RT-AC68U in AP mode (with some fixed DHCP addresses).

I have found that, in the Client Status screen, the Wired and Wireless heading counts do not always match the actual number of displayed wired and wireless devices. On some occasions, the counts actually show negative numbers eg. "Wired(-3)".

Not a big deal but hopefully something that can be resolved prior to formal release of this version. No other issues found with this release.

Last edited:
Hi RMerlin,

With this new .378.50 built, is there any heads up from Asus pertaining to the Port 1 and 2 Teaming features enabled for RT-AC87 or has it been incorporated?

I don't have any other information regarding this feature, sorry.

AC66U here. Was using 374.38_2 for a long time, which worked fine, but concerned about security, I upgraded recently to the 376.xx, and now to 378. beta.

Something is wrong with the Network Map feature when reporting out clients that are connected to a repeater (and in reverse, when looking at the network map on the repeater, it doesn't properly report what's connected to the router). As I've noted previously, I'm using two AC66U's, one as router, and the other as repeater. Under the older 374.38 version, the Network Map had no difficulty identifying the AC66U Repeater by IP address and MAC, and also separately reported out each of the clients connected to the repeater, both wired and wireless.

Sometime in between 374.38 and the more recent 376.xx version, and including this newest 378 beta, Network Map now misreports and cannot identify the repeater at all, and instead evidently only picks up one of the clients connected to it and reports that IP address and MAC claiming that it's the AC-66U Repeater, when clearly it is not. And as for any additional clients connected to the repeater, there's simply a small circle shown in that client's space, with a number (in my case, it was "8") and when you mouse over it, you see only this: "Number of other clients connected the AC-66U through this device".

This also is not working if I look at the Network Map page for the repeater either, and it fails to properly report the clients connected to the router (which it formerly did under prior versions of the firmware).

Just thought you should know. I haven't gone through all of the iterations of versions to see when this misbehavior first appeared, but it's definitely the case now, and it's the case on this newest version.

Lastly, is the Traffic Analyzer not going to be implemented in the AC66U's, and only in the ARM devices? Can you clarify, because the change log and the first post in this thread suggests that the feature won't be used in the AC66U's.

Thanks.

Last edited:
VSFTPD is working if you don't use SSL, can you check so it's compiled against right program, that was the problem last time
Is it any changes in new 3.0.2 and we need to adapt new changes ?

I remember having specifically added both changes required for SSL support, but I can take another look to confirm that both were correctly applied.

I don't know what changed in 3.0.2 versus the old 2.x (I only enabled it in the build file, as Asus added it to the main GPL), so it's possible that SSL support is configured a bit differently.

Can you try running vsftpd manually to see if it throws out any error message?

AIprotection and QOS

I am very happy with the new update, Thank you Merlin! very impresive, I just wanted to know if by activating AI protection features or the QOS will change the router performance, Samba speed, etc?

AC66U here. Was using 374.38_2 for a long time, which worked fine, but concerned about security, I upgraded recently to the 376.xx, and now to 378. beta.

Something is wrong with the Network Map feature when reporting out clients that are connected to a repeater (and in reverse, when looking at the network map on the repeater

A lot was changed by Asus in the networkmap in the past few months. I know that they recently added a new feature were clients connected to an AP would be aggregated together (since it was impossible anyway to enumerate them, as from the router's point of view they all shared the AP/RP's MAC - this is a technical limitation of how a repeater works, nothing that can be done about it). That's all I know, I've never tested repeater or AP setups.

Lastly, is the Traffic Analyzer not going to be implemented in the AC66U's, and only in the ARM devices? Can you clarify, because the change log and the first post in this thread suggests that the feature won't be used in the AC66U's.

Thanks.

At this point we have not much info on the Traffic Analyzer. It's something that's still a work-in-progress by Asus, so it's not fully functional, nor enabled yet in any available firmware. And currently, the "test code" in place only includes it in the RT-AC3200 FW. I have the impression that it should technically be possible to enable it for other routers that have the DPI engine, which would mean the RT-AC87U and RT-AC68U. But at this point, nobody but Asus knows what will be the final result. There's even a chance the feature might eventually be dropped if found out not to work as expected by their devs. So for now it's all just speculations.

I am very happy with the new update, Thank you Merlin! very impresive, I just wanted to know if by activating AI protection features or the QOS will change the router performance, Samba speed, etc?

Those will definitely have an impact on performance. How much, I don't know.

If I install the lates t376 build, and wait for 378 to be out of beta, will I still need to do a factory reset/configure when upgrading?

Also, if i'm running ASUS 378 right now, do I need to do a factory reset before upgrading?

I remember having specifically added both changes required for SSL support, but I can take another look to confirm that both were correctly applied.

I don't know what changed in 3.0.2 versus the old 2.x (I only enabled it in the build file, as Asus added it to the main GPL), so it's possible that SSL support is configured a bit differently.

I have tried to stop and start from ssh to se if I get any codes, I can't se any.
service start_vsftpd, service stop_vsftpd
And I can not se vsftpd process with PS command.
Maby It's not starting with my custom .conf-file. I'm trying too use default and se.

Last edited:
If I install the lates t376 build, and wait for 378 to be out of beta, will I still need to do a factory reset/configure when upgrading?

Also, if i'm running ASUS 378 right now, do I need to do a factory reset before upgrading?

In all those cases, you don't have to do anything. But if you have any issues that is the first thing you have to do as the new boot loader requires it.

If you try to troubleshoot issues without a reset after going to a major version change (at any point), you're wasting your time and ours.

As an example, I installed this latest beta 1 version on my RT-N66U and used it for about an hour without a reset. Everything seemed to be working okay and actually even a little faster than the previous 376_5 version. But that could be wishful thinking.

After that hour, I spent the next few minutes resetting to defaults and manually entering the minimum required setup info. I didn't do any of the previous tweaks in the settings I had running for so long previously. Neither did I use the old ssid. Complete new install with new 'network' setup.

The difference now from the previous 376 builds is very apparent. This site especially flies with the new firmware, but all network related tasks are obviously more responsive.

That was a few minutes well spent. ;)

I got it to work :) First was my path to vsftpd.pem file, missed /jffs/configs/ and not started and then complain about "require_ssl_reuse" default YES needed to be NO. Working just fine now.

Octopus

Last edited:
I've flashed the. 50 beta firmware and did factory reset but the cfe still shows 1.0.1.6. RT-AC68R. Flashed once more and factory reset and still same cfe. Did not upgrade the cfe. Anyway to fix?

I've flashed the. 50 beta firmware and did factory reset but the cfe still shows 1.0.1.6. RT-AC68R. Flashed once more and factory reset and still same cfe. Did not upgrade the cfe. Anyway to fix?

Did you installed the RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_376.49_6_cfeupd firmware first, that one updates the CFE in preparation for the .50

Did you installed the RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_376.49_6_cfeupd firmware first, that one updates the CFE in preparation for the .50

Unless I'm reading Merlin's OP wrong, it supposed to bring a new bootloader along in 378.50 BETA as well.

Is that the starting point for Merlin FW or do we need to install something else first?

Last edited:

Try flushing your browser cache, and restart your browser. Or try a different browser.

Just a thought, I've been burned by cached pages from time to time.

I can't find RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_376.49_6_cfeupd anywhere?

*edit, why in the misc folder? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.