What's new

[CLOSED] Asuswrt-Merlin 378.50 Beta 1 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Make sure you enter a FQDN, not just a hostname.

Also, that field is shared amongst all services. That's why you can only configure one single service at a time. If you need to support multiple services, they must all be configured in a script, and the DDNS setting be left on Custom.

It's not. It's simply not erasing existing nvram settings such as username/passwords, but those aren't used while the DDNS service is set to Custom. Only the FQDN hostname is used, to be "plugged" wherever the router generates an URL (for instance in an exported OpenVPN client config file).

I was using the full hostname (mythingy.crabdance.com for afraid & mythingy.servebeer.com for no-ip iirc) but still nada. Force refresh changed to 7 days, wildcard disabled host & ip validation enabled.

I did wonder if something was going wrong with those fields & the custom setting due to the Firefox popup as I said. However, with further testing, after leaving the "applying settings" screen going I manually ran the ddns-start script and got the "registration successful" message, and the "applying settings" message was gone! So some sort of issue with running the script maybe?

I was assuming that the router was using the hostname field to tell it what urls to use on the loop back; the fact that the no-ip DDNS doesn't work either suggests that there is something else amiss...

I've spent some time checking this release and all seems good on my RT-N66U with the exception of FTP which does not appear to be working all I get is the following message when trying to log in on my Linux box from the shell;

421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection

Aside from this everything else looks good and the new custom DDNS script option is working ok.

Anyone have any pointers on the FTP issue or is it just wait for the stable?

BTW I did factory reset and manually reconfigure.

If you use IPv6 then check the second post of this thread with the list of known issues.

I was using the full hostname (mythingy.crabdance.com for afraid & mythingy.servebeer.com for no-ip iirc) but still nada. Force refresh changed to 7 days, wildcard disabled host & ip validation enabled.

I did wonder if something was going wrong with those fields & the custom setting due to the Firefox popup as I said. However, with further testing, after leaving the "applying settings" screen going I manually ran the ddns-start script and got the "registration successful" message, and the "applying settings" message was gone! So some sort of issue with running the script maybe?

I was assuming that the router was using the hostname field to tell it what urls to use on the loop back; the fact that the no-ip DDNS doesn't work either suggests that there is something else amiss...

Make sure your script does contain the line that instructs the router how to update the router's DDNS state but ONLY if you have the DDNS type set to "Custom".

I certainly understand the reason that a factory reset is necessary after this upgrade, and don't mind re-entering my configuration manually, even the 15 or so static DNS entries I have. But a new SSID, requiring me to go around to every single client and reset the SSID/PW combination? Why would that be necessary? Sure hoping its not...

N66U here. I did a factory reset moving from 49_4 to 50b1 and manually reconfigured, using a printout from the NVRAM save script as a guide. I cheated a bit by deleting everything but the static_list part and ran it to reenter those settings. I used the same SSIDs, but I found that several devices would not connect until I forgot that network and reentered it on the client.

The only thing I forgot was that OpenVPN server 2 defaults to port 1184 as does server 1, so it needs to be changed to 1185. (Why doesn't server 2 default to 1185 anyway?)

All seems good, maybe more responsive.

Make sure your script does contain the line that instructs the router how to update the router's DDNS state but ONLY if you have the DDNS type set to "Custom".

It's the afraid.org script from the readme, with the url substituted with my own...

NAT loopback

NAT loopback (attempting to access a LAN server from the LAN, using the WAN address) doesn't seem to work with this firmware. Flashed back to 376.49_5 and it is working again.

Using an AC66u

Last edited:
Windows will keep in memory what dialect was last used when connecting to a server. To force it to detect a change on a server's end, you must either restart the Workstation service (on the Services MMC console), or reboot the computer.

After that, you can use Powershell (if under Win8) to check what dialect version is being used.

I had already restarted the PC and service, but 2.02 is not used after all, 1.50 instead. 3.02 with others Win8.1 PCs
smbd_enable=1
smbd_enable_smb2=1
smbd_simpler_naming=0
smbd_user=nas
smbd_cpage=
smbd_custom=
smbd_cset=utf8
smbd_wins=0
smbd_master=0
smbd_wanac=0

thank Merlin.

Last edited:
It's the afraid.org script from the readme, with the url substituted with my own...

Post a screenshot of your DDNS configuration page, as well as the content of the system log entries related to ddns after you apply your settings.

I'm running the DPI version of the AC56U firmware and for the life of me, I cannot get 80mhz active on the 5ghz network. I have tried all the settings combinations, AUTO, N/AC MIXED, 80MHZ, 20/40/80MHZ. Someone mind posting their successful settings.

Update: Flashing the non-DPI AC56U version fixed my 80mhz on 5ghz issue. It seems my device does not like the AC68 driver.

Nameserver for local in the resolv.dnsmasq resolv.conf

With the release 378.50 on a RT-AC87U I have notice the following with the generated resolv.dnsmasq: when I type in WAN DNS Setting I configure DNS Servers then it generates in tmp a resolv.dnsmasq containing:
server=/local/8.8.8.8
server=/local/8.8.4.4
Forward local domain queries to upstream DNS is set to No. In version 376.49_50 it is empty as expected.

I have also noticed that with version 376.49_50 running on RT-AC68 the resolv.conf this time contains:
nameserver 192.168.0.1

nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4
while in the same version but on RT-AC87U the nameserver 192.168.0.1 is absent.

Just an update for anyone trying to use the Astrill app on this beta firmware. I have had no success with the ac68u or ac87u. I contacted Astrill support on Merlin's advice, and after getting past the usual robot replies from the level 1 support I got this:

"We suggest you to flash your router with some older firmware version. You can try 49 or even 48. The latest build 50 is Beta. Our development department will take a look into this. But currently we suggest you to please try with the 49 build. As instructed in this link.."

..which is the best I can expect at this stage I suppose :D.

So they are aware that there is a potential issue at least and I'll follow up if the official release has problems.

I'm thinking about going back to 49_5...IPv6 is not working right, and things seem to be taking longer on the internet with this release. I'm getting the IPv6 prefix stuff on my router like usual, but my computer keeps losing IPv6 not too long after rebooting. Can't really tell why, nothing in the log that seems to relate to that.

I'll try it without IPv6 first, and see if that speeds things up, then maybe reflash and reset again. And hope for the best.

Could be I'll just catch it again when it's no longer Beta.

The WAN/LAN Bandwidth Monitor thing looks cool, though *smile*.

Update: does seem much faster loading pages on the internet with IPv6 disabled. So I'll try reflashing and reset again. And see how that looks.

Update 2: Re-flashed and reset to defaults again...same result, bad IPv6. Back to 49_5.

Okay, decided to try it again to check to see if disabling CTF allowed me to keep using IPv6, as mentioned by another poster. Since my download speed is so bad, I wouldn't miss CTF at all, and thought it was worth a try.

Not sure what happened differently this time. The only thing that I did differently was to flash the router twice before resetting, just to see if that made a difference. Well, that may or may not be it, but things seem much better at the base level now, long after I would have lost IPv6 on my system on the previous try. I even used the same saved configuration settings file, so what I experienced was not a settings problem.

Weird, but I'm happy with the result. No slowdown using IPv6, and no quick loss of IPv6 connectivity.

Enjoying the new release and new features, by the way, thanks for that. Things may yet go south, but it doesn't feel like it. Looking and feeling much better.

Update: Did notice that on the IPv6 "Connectivity and speed test" that my results have gone down from 19/20 using firmware 49_5 to 17/20 on 50_Beta firmware. That has to do with the treatment of ICMPv6 packets at the firewall. If the ICMPv6 packets intended for your computer are filtered out, then this loses you points. So something has changed there.

Last edited:
Just an update for anyone trying to use the Astrill app on this beta firmware. I have had no success with the ac68u or ac87u. I contacted Astrill support on Merlin's advice, and after getting past the usual robot replies from the level 1 support I got this:

"We suggest you to flash your router with some older firmware version. You can try 49 or even 48. The latest build 50 is Beta. Our development department will take a look into this. But currently we suggest you to please try with the 49 build. As instructed in this link.."

..which is the best I can expect at this stage I suppose :D.

So they are aware that there is a potential issue at least and I'll follow up if the official release has problems.

Gotcha. Worst case scenario, they know how to contact me if they have any question (we've talked over Email in the past).

I try 378.50 beta 1 and all install and run fine exept my CFE version still be 1.0.1.6.

I'll see what happens when other Comcast customers start testing it.

Hi, new here. Just upgraded to the beta and it's been stable for me. I saw this post and thought I should report what I have found with Comcast.

I have the RT-AC87U. It just arrived today. I loaded this firmware and did a factory reset. I enabled IPv6 using:

Native
enable "DHCP-PD"
Autoconfiguration "Stateless"
enable "Connect to DNS Server automatically"
enable "Enable Router Advertisement"
enable "Enable DHCPv6 Server"

IPv6 doesn't seem to work but I had this same trouble with my ASUS RT-N66W router.

I unplugged the modem and plugged it back in. I also unplugged the router and plugged it back in. When I log into the router and check the IPv6 page the IPv6 Lan Settings section is blank. These fields:

LAN IPv6 Address
LAN Prefix Length
LAN IPv6 Prefix

The time or two I was able to get my old router to work it would populate those fields.

This may not be of much use but I thought I would share in case it helps. I assume it's just buggy comcast though.

Status
Not open for further replies.