What's new

Cloud File Servers - files for sale

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

stevech

Part of the Furniture
Maybe I'm naive, but an Internet (cloud) service provider that enables its users to upload files then offer downloads to people for a fee via PayPal- what would this be? The payment system for customers of the users, in one case I've seen, is marketed as a feature.

The first thing that comes to mind is counter-DRM. But it would seem that the authorities would come after the service provider and customers.

Event photographers is one legit use case I can see. Anyone know?
:confused:

Maybe I'm naive, but an Internet (cloud) service provider that enables its users to upload files then offer downloads to people for a fee via PayPal- what would this be? The payment system for customers of the users, in one case I've seen, is marketed as a feature.

The first thing that comes to mind is counter-DRM. But it would seem that the authorities would come after the service provider and customers.

Event photographers is one legit use case I can see. Anyone know?
:confused:

You talking about File Lockers? People upload media, and then using the link provided to pirate announcement sites, downloaders grab it. There is usually two classes of service: free slow limited download service and paid high speed, no waiting multithreaded downloading. Money is paid to the uploader for each download (slow or fast), driving traffic to the locker service. This sounds like a variation.

I think the vast majority of the traffic is grey. The file lockers try to position themselves as common carriers (they don't know what is in the files the uploader parks), ain't their job to know, they claim. This is being litigated on a couple fronts.

They are just directly monetizing file sharing, unlike indirect monetizing like VPN services, Seedbox site services and release site advertising.

Last edited:
To me, it looks like this one particular service provider, not the one mentioned above, has users probably uploading ripped music and movies. Then they give access to downloads, for a price, to selected people.

Seems to me that this is a honeypot for the DRM police.

The reason I'm interested is I've been using the free cloud storage/sync on this provider and just recently realized, from comments on their user forum, that some/most paying customers are file sellers.

File Locker - new term to me.

I just don't want to use a service provider that is endorsing illegal activities.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!