What's new

Cloudflare Announces DNS That Won't Track You

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Can confirm that this DNS is fast. However, I am much more interested in the (security provided by the) DNS over HTTPS functionality. Is there any way to get that today? I am currently using an ASUS RT-AC68U router, current firmware. Would it help to switch to DD-WRT or Tomato?

While I'm generally not a fan of these third party DNS servers for personal use (as they are less than optimal for CDN-distributed content), Cloudflare has a chance of being at least as performing as Google's DNS since they already have a fairly large network infrastructure for their existing services.

sorry, what is CDN stand for. anyone?

The cat has already been let out of the bag. Cloudflare does in-deed practice content censorship. Stick with dnscrypt v2. At least there may be 1 outfit logging you and not multiple "do-gooders". I'm referring to your network admin -->ISP ---> google/cloudflare etc. (sniffing port 53 traffic)

DNS lookups, which translate domain names to IP addresses, are performed for every internet transaction. The default DNS provider is whatever network you're connecting to, whether it's your ISP at home, your company or free Wi-Fi at your favorite coffee shop.

While your internet connection may be encrypted, DNS requests are not. So whoever is providing your DNS knows every site you've visited and U.S. providers are free to provide that information to whoever they want, thanks to the U.S. Senate.

First hop is always monitored - even through VPN, the initial access into the WAN is in the domain of the ISP.

VPN protects things inside packets (to a degree) - but the initial access is always the same - e..g this is from your modem to the ISP's next hop. And then one must the VPN provider - dot - dot - dot - and hope they're not one of the five eyes...

You'd be surprised what they're doing there - analytics and big data are key for them - SDWAN, NFV, etc...

At least the GFW is honest about what they're doing...