What's new

Completely Disable Legacy Rates (1, 2, 5.5, 11 Mbps)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thats why I think asus could have done better

Yes, because you never bothered to read how different communication standards share the same frequency band. Before you do that this conversation is pointless. You can't change the settings. End of story. If you're not happy with available commercial products, feel free to build your own router with all the "improvements" and use it on your own responsibility.

Yes, because you never bothered to read how different communication standards share the same frequency band. Before you do that this conversation is pointless. You can't change the settings. End of story. If you're not happy with available commercial products, feel free to build your own router with all the "improvements" and use it on your own responsibility.

hmmm.

I see. So you haven't tested a network with 802.11b ON vs OFF. Can't accept the FACT that my suggestions can be used to improve certain network setup? You end up with all these non-sense dumdum. You went personal. Tsk.. tsk...

I'd like to keep this conversation technical and healthy but you're just ... I don't know. Set aside whatever frequency band you're googling and learn to read my previous posts. I made my point. You don't. I'm happy with what I know - you're not - I feel sorry for you bro!

P.S.

This is soooooo funny!!!!!! You made laugh my heart out and I wanted to thank you for this! :p:p:p

If you're not happy with available commercial products, feel free to build your own router with all the "improvements" and use it on your own responsibility.

I'd like to keep this conversation technical and healthy...

Get yourself familiar with WiFi communications, then come back. Your suggestions are based on wrong assumptions. Even if you "disable" 802.11b/g, your router still listens to and recognizes 802.11b/g traffic, for example. There is no way we discuss technical details if you don't know the basics.

This is soooooo funny!!!

Not at all. I can give you directions how to build your own router based on x86 hardware, also how to modify the software to achieve what you believe is good. But it won't function properly with such "improvements". In the process you'll learn some things. Most technical details are well documented, I can help if needed.

Last edited:
Get yourself familiar with WiFi communications, then come back. Your suggestions are based on wrong assumptions. Even if you "disable" 802.11b/g, your router still listens to and recognizes 802.11b/g traffic, for example. There is no way we discuss technical details if you don't know the basics.
And for the same reason other vendors CAN do it and let disable b-mode and allow g/n mode only (which are fully compatible).
Same for 5G where it doesnt make any sense to allow a-mode, we all have only ac-devices.
For me the question is open who should get familiar with wifi.

Guys, don't get confused by UI options. "Disable", "Allow", "x-Only" (whatever the manufacturer chose to call it) doesn't exclude parts of the communication standards. Not sure how to explain it in simple words, but you can't ignore a STOP sign just because you've never seen anyone on this intersection. It's a requirement of the Highway Traffic Act to stop and you have to stop, otherwise an accident may happen. Same thing with different communication protocols sharing the same frequency band (road). Or imagine wireless standards as bricks sitting on tip of each other. You cant remove the bottom one without disturbing the ones on top.

I don't understand what "problem" you are trying to solve by "optimizations". Is there something on your routers that doesn't work properly? We all use fast routers these days capable of transferring data in close to (or above) gigabit link speed rates. Those older standards are there for compatibility reasons and actually help to share the available channels (road). Every data transmission not recognized or ignored by WiFi devices turns into noise and makes things worse.

The 1Mbps modulation is the selected power save modulation scheme for Wifi chips in sleep or standby profiles in 2.4GHz band.

Hello! Does anyone have an idea how can I *completely* disable legacy rates for my AC88U? I have set 2.4Ghz wireless mode to N Only however pcap shows beacons are still sent at 1Mb/s. I don't have b/g devices on my network.

802.11 radio information
PHY type: 802.11b (4)
Data rate: 1.0 Mb/s
Channel: 11
Frequency: 2462MHz
Signal strength (dBm): -17dBm
Noise level (dBm): -88dBm
Signal/noise ratio (dB): 71dB
TSF timestamp: 3046454662825133
[Duration: 2192µs]

This does not happen at 5Ghz:

802.11 radio information
PHY type: 802.11a (5)
Turbo type: Dynamic turbo (2)
Data rate: 6.0 Mb/s
Channel: 36
Frequency: 5180MHz
Signal strength (dBm): -22dBm
Noise level (dBm): -90dBm
Signal/noise ratio (dB): 68dB
TSF timestamp: 899821418350104
[Duration: 352µs]

I use Merlin 384.12. I have seen this option in Cisco routers but I'm wondering if this is can also be done in Asus via custom firmware or config file or request this to RMerlin?

Why do I (or possibly you) want this? Optimization, tweaks and granular controls!!

Thanks!

If you can turn off 802.11b on router side it wont disturb anything.
Old clients with b only wont find any singnal as they see only noise and nothing where they could connect to and thats exactly what we like to have.
Beside we dont have those dinosours anymore.

Get yourself familiarized in reading previous posts then. Basic much, basic yeah.

Not at all.

:eek: Whoa can't believe it. You missed the point. You sounded like a......... nevermind, not gonna mention it. Go on.:cool::cool:

muwaahhahahhahah... :D srry :p:p:p:p

I can give you directions how to build your own router based on x86 hardware, also how to modify the software to achieve what you believe is good. But it won't function properly with such "improvements". In the process you'll learn some things. Most technical details are well documented, I can help if needed.

Nah don't your search results. I have built one based on Xorp http://www.xorp.org/ long time ago so this is not new to me.

Guys, don't get confused by UI options. "Disable", "Allow", "x-Only" (whatever the manufacturer chose to call it) doesn't exclude parts of the communication standards. Not sure how to explain it in simple words, but you can't ignore a STOP sign just because you've never seen anyone on this intersection. It's a requirement of the Highway Traffic Act to stop and you have to stop, otherwise an accident may happen. Same thing with different communication protocols sharing the same frequency band (road). Or imagine wireless standards as bricks sitting on tip of each other. You cant remove the bottom one without disturbing the ones on top.

All theory. But I'm surprised you got it right. "N-only" will prevent b/g devices from connecting but router will still listen to 1mbps. Good job!!! yay!!! Now enabling "N-only" is very different from disabling b rates.

I don't understand what "problem" you are trying to solve by "optimizations". Is there something on your routers that doesn't work properly? We all use fast routers these days capable of transferring data in close to (or above) gigabit link speed rates. Those older standards are there for compatibility reasons and actually help to share the available channels (road). Every data transmission not recognized or ignored by WiFi devices turns into noise and makes things worse.

Aha! Because you're *assuming* that there's a big *problem*. Spoiler alert! Topic ended long time ago. My question already answered. You just added nonsense.

Perform a real-world test. Try your best not to make mistakes on this part and do it right.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!