What's new

Completely Disable Legacy Rates (1, 2, 5.5, 11 Mbps)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

edgezero

Occasional Visitor
Hello! Does anyone have an idea how can I *completely* disable legacy rates for my AC88U? I have set 2.4Ghz wireless mode to N Only however pcap shows beacons are still sent at 1Mb/s. I don't have b/g devices on my network.

802.11 radio information
PHY type: 802.11b (4)
Data rate: 1.0 Mb/s
Channel: 11
Frequency: 2462MHz
Signal strength (dBm): -17dBm
Noise level (dBm): -88dBm
Signal/noise ratio (dB): 71dB
TSF timestamp: 3046454662825133
[Duration: 2192µs]

This does not happen at 5Ghz:

802.11 radio information
PHY type: 802.11a (5)
Turbo type: Dynamic turbo (2)
Data rate: 6.0 Mb/s
Channel: 36
Frequency: 5180MHz
Signal strength (dBm): -22dBm
Noise level (dBm): -90dBm
Signal/noise ratio (dB): 68dB
TSF timestamp: 899821418350104
[Duration: 352µs]

I use Merlin 384.12. I have seen this option in Cisco routers but I'm wondering if this is can also be done in Asus via custom firmware or config file or request this to RMerlin?

Why do I (or possibly you) want this? Optimization, tweaks and granular controls!!

Thanks!

I don't have b/g devices on my network.

Even if you don’t have any b/g devices, your n devices work on the same 2.4GHz frequency range and your router has to listen to other devices in order to transmit and receive data.

I use Merlin 384.12. I have seen this option in Cisco routers but I'm wondering if this is can also be done in Asus via custom firmware or config file or request this to RMerlin?

ASUS wireless is closed source so wizards et al. are unable to make any changes.

Even if you don’t have any b/g devices, your n devices work on the same 2.4GHz frequency range and your router has to listen to other devices in order to transmit and receive data.
Wrong, there is no "must" !!!
If I dont have b devices I prefer to turn it off, but not possible on Asus!
I know, your router even listens on microwave oven, Bluetooth and many others using 2.4G ...

If I dont have b devices I prefer to turn it off, but not possible on Asus!

Not only on ASUS. The router won’t use b transmission rates, but some other devices around you may transmit on b rates, disrupting your n communications.

Not only on ASUS. The router won’t use b transmission rates, but some other devices around you may transmit on b rates, disrupting your n communications.
Where will you find such b-devices nowadays?
I have to search old W98 laptops for it if bootable at all.
No I dont care and there are none near my home!
On my AVM routers I can and do set no b support and never had any problem.

No I dont care and there are none near my home!

We don’t understand each other, I think. 2.4GHz spectrum is like a highway. Your faster devices can’t just ignore slower ones. You want to make slower ones invisible for you, but it doesn’t work this way.

Do you have any issues with your WiFi communications? If not, why bother to change something that doesn’t affect you? And no one forced you to use ASUS products. Find one that allows only use of specific things you care about and use it. Or build one by yourself the way you like it.

What exactly “problem” we are trying to solve here?

What exactly “problem” we are trying to solve here?
I only disliked this:
... your router has to listen to other devices in order to transmit and receive data.
My router doesnt have to (but has to ignore everything else)!
And if you read my old thread long time ago that 2.4G (and even 5G) settings on those routers are mostly ignored by firmware (no matter you set) you will understand why I'm getting little upset :(
n and g uses same modulation, no problem that both coexist and are supported if needed, but b really makes no sense anymore and may only introduce troubles seen by many with Asus and 2.4G while I have no problems with other old and new routers.
e.g. I tried to set 5G to 'ac' only as I never have seen 5G 'a' devices, but still could connect to the router with my wifi card set strict to 'a'-mode.
I hate to see tons of features not working like they should only for marketing purposes - sell what you are able to deliver!
Maybe I just spent tooooooo much time to get my routers wifi working and failed till I changed everything.
If you look inside source code you will find an option to disable b-mode, but not offered in GUI, and you will see thats all pure chaos whats done over there.

Let it come to an end - lets go for a virtual beer - CHEARS !!!

Could be drivers provided by chip manufacturers, not sure. But I accept the virtual beer! :)

It been a while but I recall reading on this site that selecting auto will let the router do a good job of handling things for you. No need to select n only.

I only disliked this:

My router doesnt have to (but has to ignore everything else)!
And if you read my old thread long time ago that 2.4G (and even 5G) settings on those routers are mostly ignored by firmware (no matter you set) you will understand why I'm getting little upset :(
n and g uses same modulation, no problem that both coexist and are supported if needed, but b really makes no sense anymore and may only introduce troubles seen by many with Asus and 2.4G while I have no problems with other old and new routers.
e.g. I tried to set 5G to 'ac' only as I never have seen 5G 'a' devices, but still could connect to the router with my wifi card set strict to 'a'-mode.
I hate to see tons of features not working like they should only for marketing purposes - sell what you are able to deliver!
Maybe I just spent tooooooo much time to get my routers wifi working and failed till I changed everything.
If you look inside source code you will find an option to disable b-mode, but not offered in GUI, and you will see thats all pure chaos whats done over there.

Let it come to an end - lets go for a virtual beer - CHEARS !!!

I commented on your old thread several weeks ago about how I was surprised that it hadn't gotten more discussion and questions. Seems like basic router functions that should "just work".

Hello! Does anyone have an idea how can I *completely* disable legacy rates for my AC88U? I have set 2.4Ghz wireless mode to N Only however pcap shows beacons are still sent at 1Mb/s. I don't have b/g devices on my network.

No, but your neighbors might, so leave it alone...

The basic rates are actually required in any event, and you might see better performance with B/G/N mixed over N-Only - N-Only invokes protection mechanisms that impair performance in non-Greenfield conditions where a legacy client might be nearby, and it doesn't have to be on your WLAN.

and you might see better performance with B/G/N mixed over N-Only

And for that reason on routers "N-Only" simply means "allow N clients only to connect", but the router still listens to B/G transmissions in order to make those N clients happy. I tried to explain in simple words above, but people like the power to enable/disable things. :)

The basic rates are actually required in any event, and you might see better performance with B/G/N mixed over N-Only - N-Only invokes protection mechanisms that impair performance in non-Greenfield conditions where a legacy client might be nearby, and it doesn't have to be on your WLAN.

I am well aware N only still listens neighbor's silent whispers, but the question in my OP is about disabling legacy rates. Unfortunately that is not possible with Asus.

And for that reason on routers "N-Only" simply means "allow N clients only to connect", but the router still listens to B/G transmissions in order to make those N clients happy. I tried to explain in simple words above, but people like the power to enable/disable things. :)

Yes of course!

Unfortunately that is not possible with Asus.

Fortunately, all good routers just follow WiFi standards and don't allow users to mess with settings.

Next time you go on a highway, ignore all transport trucks and just drive straight through. Why you have to share the road with someone slower than you? You don't even need to see them, you don't drive a truck anyway. Correct? Good luck! :cool:

Fortunately, all good routers just follow WiFi standards and don't allow users to mess with settings.

Next time you go on a highway, ignore all transport trucks and just drive straight through. Why you have to share the road with someone slower than you? You don't even need to see them, you don't drive a truck anyway. Correct? Good luck! :cool:

Well that's still unfortunate. I believe they could done better by implementing this as a hidden feature if that makes sense.

I believe they could done better by implementing this as a hidden feature if that makes sense.

It doesn't. No manufacturer these days will give you control over communication standards and requirements. For instance, depending or region you can use only specific channels and only specific power levels. Everything is hard coded, no more user tweaking is allowed. In most newer routers even the firmware is locked and you can't change it to whatever you want. First, saves legal issues for the manufacturer; second, makes device support easier.

No.

It doesn't. No manufacturer these days will give you control over communication standards and requirements.

We are talking about 802.11b standards here. 802.11b tranmission rates which they could optionally disable.

Everything is hard coded, no more user tweaking is allowed.

They could compile the code with option to disable b rates.

First, saves legal issues for the manufacturer; second, makes device support easier.

They could put a disclaimer. Something like a BIG red font with sentence phrasing that even an idiot could understand.

Its 2019, who uses b rates? Have you actually performed wlan local bandwith tests yourself? People should be more open to ideas and improvements.

Thats why I think asus could have done better :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!