What's new

Configuration help requested

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Perhaps you know to comment...

If a site is wired for Ethernet such that wired APs are an option, what would provide the best AP performance in terms of even WiFi coverage, seamless roaming, and manageability (never mind initial cost now and upgrade cost later)... purpose-built APs or consumer wireless routers in AP mode?

What I'm wondering is if the later arrangement... particularly aging wireless routers in AP mode... would fall short of the best AP performance possible. And if so, should these shortcomings be considered here. And you should remove your amess hat for the moment since this concern is not about mesh or AiMesh in particular, but is about how to best implement a WLAN with APs, and if using consumer wireless routers in AP mode means accepting certain performance compromises.

OE

Of course purpose-built AP's should perform better with your stipulations.

The dollars saved though from using simple consumer wireless routers is easily worth the performance hit, if any, in any given installation.

Exactly what performance compromises do you see with consumer routers in AP mode?

Exactly what performance compromises do you see with consumer routers in AP mode?

No experience. But I gather that there could be issues with moderating the WiFi coverage/signal power levels. And issues with less than seamless roaming. And management, but that one is obvious. Pretty much the concerns I've already alluded to... issues that AiMesh wants to ameliorate, more or less.

OE

Last edited:
I know the small business Cisco wireless APs run as a single point controlled from 1 master AP backed up incase the master or controller goes offline. Any Cisco wireless AP which is under the wireless umbrella can take over as the master controller if something happens. They are designed to be back hauled by Ethernet. I don't think using a bunch of old routers will achieve this same level of service. I believe in buying wireless APs and buying a separate router as they are separate functions.

OzarkEdge and coxhaus,

I don't believe in buying dedicated AP's; a router is always my recommendation. When it is end-of-life for the original purchaser; it will be more than useful for a second and even third user down the road.

AiMesh doesn't do what it promises the few times I've tried it for customers that insisted it was what they want. It failed my minimum expectations and their lofty expectations too. With a wired AP? They know what they are getting and I know what I can deliver.

Outdated routers are a security hazard for whom ever runs one as a router. It is not good to pass them on.

Outdated routers are a security hazard for whom ever runs one as a router. It is not good to pass them on.

Yes, the OP is wise to retire his existing TM-1900 router.

OE

Back to my house.. :)
I had not considered the issue of guest networks having access to the main network and isolating ioT. I thought that the guest network did isolate that traffic. Anyway, looks like I need a solution that can support VLANs. I'm looking in the the Edgerouter 4 and what would be involved with that setup, and alternatives. If I can accomplish the same thing with Merlin's FW, it may be a less expensive solution on the 68u or 86u. In addition to needing that solution, it has to be easy for me to implement it, as I'm no programmer or networking person.....

back to the drawing board!!

Back to my house.. :)
I had not considered the issue of guest networks having access to the main network and isolating ioT. I thought that the guest network did isolate that traffic. Anyway, looks like I need a solution that can support VLANs. I'm looking in the the Edgerouter 4 and what would be involved with that setup, and alternatives. If I can accomplish the same thing with Merlin's FW, it may be a less expensive solution on the 68u or 86u. In addition to needing that solution, it has to be easy for me to implement it, as I'm no programmer or networking person.....

back to the drawing board!!

Mission creep! In addition to isolating your untrustworthy purchases ;), you will need to ensure that you do not block their administration by their apps running on your trusted devices running on your trusted WLANs/LAN.

The ASUS stock firmware has a per band setting 'Set AP Isolated' to isolate band wireless clients from each other, but I don't know if this also isolates those clients from the other band(s) and the LAN(?)

The guest WLANs have an 'Access Intranet' setting that does isolate those guest wireless clients from the other WLANs and LAN (the intranet).

OE

Mission creep! In addition to isolating your untrustworthy purchases ;), you will need to ensure that you do not block their administration by their apps running on your trusted devices running on your trusted WLANs/LAN.

The ASUS stock firmware has a per band setting 'Set AP Isolated' to isolate band wireless clients from each other, but I don't know if this also isolates those clients from the other band(s) and the LAN(?)

The guest WLANs have an 'Access Intranet' setting that does isolate those guest wireless clients from the other WLANs and LAN (the intranet).

OE
there's so much to learn (which is good!) but I wish there was an all in one solution because I have other things in life that are more interesting... :)

there's so much to learn (which is good!) but I wish there was an all in one solution because I have other things in life that are more interesting... :)

Indeed!

The current all-in-one solution is a wireless consumer router and/or plug and play mesh system, and then live within its means.... just say 'no thanks' to unnecessary/untrustworthy IoT stuff... you have other things in life that are more interesting than trying to protect yourself from your own consumerism. Corporations spend big money and huge effort and still get hacked, often by the simplest of things like human carelessness. I say save yourself and your money for more meaningful endeavors.

Of course, if you enjoy technology, go for it and have some fun!

OE

For clarification here; what is outdated for the original purchaser needs not to be outdated in an absolute sense. I've been given many 'old' routers that I have donated to others. The RT-AC68U's being the most popular router lately that people upgrade from. When reused at a new location; they are fully updated and setup up minimally and manually too.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/n...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

To simply 'pass them on' is not in my vocabulary. :)

For clarification here; what is outdated for the original purchaser needs not to be outdated in an absolute sense. I've been given many 'old' routers that I have donated to others. The RT-AC68U's being the most popular router lately that people upgrade from. When reused at a new location; they are fully updated and setup up minimally and manually too.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/n...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

To simply 'pass them on' is not in my vocabulary. :)

I agree. I think of outdated as non-supported. You don't want to use a non-supported router.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!