What's new

Configuration to access CenturyLink C3000Z DSL modem (bridge mode) GUI from LAN w/ ASUS RT-AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ags

Regular Contributor
I have a Zyxel C3000Z DSL modem/router from CenturyLink. I have, and prefer, my ASUS RT-AC88U router - so I've disabled the router in the modem by putting it into transparent bridge mode. Everything works well, except I cannot access the modem GUI from my LAN. I've seen several posts on how to do this, the two closest to helping included one referencing some setting supported in Tomato specifically for this case, and another requiring creating an additional address on the ASUS WAN interface, in the same network as the modem GUI interface (192.168.0.1) - but I don't think this is supported on the ASUS router.

I've also seen some suggestions that another ethernet cable be connected between ASUS LAN and Zyxel LAN, but this consumes an extra LAN port on the router, and (I read) results in errors/warnings being logged every few seconds.

Is there a way to accomplish this? The purpose is to be able to access the modem GUI for status or to reboot if needed, from any machine on the LAN (with proper authentication for the modem GUI).

I have a Zyxel C3000Z DSL modem/router from CenturyLink. I have, and prefer, my ASUS RT-AC88U router - so I've disabled the router in the modem by putting it into transparent bridge mode. Everything works well, except I cannot access the modem GUI from my LAN. I've seen several posts on how to do this, the two closest to helping included one referencing some setting supported in Tomato specifically for this case, and another requiring creating an additional address on the ASUS WAN interface, in the same network as the modem GUI interface (192.168.0.1) - but I don't think this is supported on the ASUS router.

I've also seen some suggestions that another ethernet cable be connected between ASUS LAN and Zyxel LAN, but this consumes an extra LAN port on the router, and (I read) results in errors/warnings being logged every few seconds.

Is there a way to accomplish this? The purpose is to be able to access the modem GUI for status or to reboot if needed, from any machine on the LAN (with proper authentication for the modem GUI).

Try assigning static IP 192.168.0.2 to your PC LAN adapter and wire it to the modem. Then login to the modem at 192.168.0.1. It's not convenient.

OE

Try assigning static IP 192.168.0.2 to your PC LAN adapter and wire it to the modem. Then login to the modem at 192.168.0.1. It's not convenient.

OE
Yes, that makes sense. The modem has no wireless access, and is in a closet (more like a dungeon) so this would be quite inconvenient, but if necessary... one does what is necessary. First world problem... yet I yearn for a better solution :)

Yes, that makes sense. The modem has no wireless access, and is in a closet (more like a dungeon) so this would be quite inconvenient, but if necessary... one does what is necessary. First world problem... yet I yearn for a better solution :)
Well, that is about it. I lived with CenturyLink DSL on a bridged modem for years. Seldom had the need to get into the modem but when I did I used a laptop with a static IP configured and an ethernet cable.

Any idea how this might work? I'm not running Tomato (not even running Merlin, just OEM ASUS). Link to the full thread is here.

BTW, I found a way to access the admin page while in Transparent Bridging mode without having to connect directly to the DSL modem.

My router has Tomato firmware and has a setting for "Route Modem IP". As long as the DSL modem is on a different subnet as the router, just setting this to a value of 192.168.0.1 allows access to the admin page while still connected to the router.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!