What's new

Configure LAN Port as Guest Network?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

2 years later, but makes for interesting reading even if only used as historic reference.

Not sure what other equipment the OP already has, but,...

In my case, my ISP supplied a hitron GB cable router.

I plugged my main router (ax88u) into the hitron and run all my secure devices wired and wireless off it.

I plugges my secondary router (ac86u) into the hitron as well. All my IoT, guest and otherwise less secure devices connect to this router either wired or wireless.

Simple setup with existing (in my case) equipment. No separate switches, no vlans, etc.

Separate and distinct subnets for each router and a rule to block the guest network from accessing the secure network.

Done

My setup is actually a lot more involved with double-homed and triple-homed devices and a secondary ISP router, but the basic setup described could be an option for the OP.
Hi dosborne!

Can you please tell me the best method for this part of you solution? -> "and a rule to block the guest network from accessing the secure network"

Thanks very much!

Regards,
Dan

Hi dosborne!

Can you please tell me the best method for this part of you solution? -> "and a rule to block the guest network from accessing the secure network"

Thanks very much!

Regards,
Dan
In my case, my setup has been simplified in the 2 years that have past since that post. But, as the "less secure" stuff was all in its own subnet, the "rule" was simply a routing statement that blocked that subnet from accessing the secure one. I don't have it handy any more but I'm sure there have to have been some similar ones posted.

and a rule to block the guest network from accessing the secure network

Each router's firewall secures its own network. He has two routers in double NAT behind the ISP router. One is used for main secure network, the other for everything else. I would turn AC86U to AP Mode. This way AX88U will have access to Hitron/AC86U devices, but not the other way around.