What's new

Configuring RT-ac66u for optimal performance.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

theviper04

New Around Here
Hello guys, Ive been digging around and messing around with the settings on the router, apparently if you have Enhanced interference management on then you would have a better performance increase. Although it caused problems with the 2.4ghz dropping I solved that without disabling the Enhanced interference management, I just had to set it to auto channel. Id love to hear any more tips and tricks on configuring the rt-ac66u for optimal performance.

Hey there. My best recommendation would be to read up on the forums a bit, and then just try different settings based on research and see how it does. Enhanced Interference Management ended up being a big problem for me. My Nest thermostats and androids were constantly dropping and rejoining. I even went to auto channel like you said but that didnt fix it. The boost in speed it provided was definitely awesome, but not worth all the connection drops. Plus, with whole home 5g coverage, I don't really need the 2.4 to be top speed. Believe it or not, I think in the end, leaving most setting on auto really does do the best job. Have to give ASUS credit for that. Just turn off GRO setting (default OFF) and poke around in the forums. You'll get optimal performance pretty quick.

I have the experience that not to leave the channel settings to Auto. Instead I use the inSSIDer to choose channels both for the 2.4 GHz band the 5 GHz band. The Tx-power settings I leave at the default 80 mW after trying to raise the value and getting more problems than hust leaving it at default value. I would just qish that I could give credit to Asus for anything with the f/w , but sadly that is the main issue here : Asus firmware is just not stable and if Merlin had not put his time and effort it would have been even worse.

Hey there. My best recommendation would be to read up on the forums a bit, and then just try different settings based on research and see how it does. Enhanced Interference Management ended up being a big problem for me. My Nest thermostats and androids were constantly dropping and rejoining. I even went to auto channel like you said but that didnt fix it. The boost in speed it provided was definitely awesome, but not worth all the connection drops. Plus, with whole home 5g coverage, I don't really need the 2.4 to be top speed. Believe it or not, I think in the end, leaving most setting on auto really does do the best job. Have to give ASUS credit for that. Just turn off GRO setting (default OFF) and poke around in the forums. You'll get optimal performance pretty quick.

I have the experience that not to leave the channel settings to Auto. Instead I use the inSSIDer to choose channels both for the 2.4 GHz band the 5 GHz band. The Tx-power settings I leave at the default 80 mW after trying to raise the value and getting more problems than hust leaving it at default value. I would just qish that I could give credit to Asus for anything with the f/w , but sadly that is the main issue here : Asus firmware is just not stable and if Merlin had not put his time and effort it would have been even worse.

yeah maybe I jumped the gun giving them credit. But I have had good luck with this router so far. inSSIDer is definitely a good tool to use.

It is true that the firmware is new and all, so its possible for asus to improve the performance through future software updates. Also I leave my channel at 9 for optimal performance, just like mikeg I use inSSider for that. Its not a big issue for most of my devices that use the 5ghz network, only the mobile devices like iphone, ipod, etc use the 2.4ghz network. Especially with upcoming devices more and more are coming with dualmband adapters, so its becoming less of a problem.

Last edited:
devices can't see or connect to 5ghz

complete n00b here... i just setup the ac66u. it works fine on 2.4ghz ssid and everyone can get on the internet. but none of the devices can see the 5ghz ssid. firmware ver is 3.0.0.4.266

is there some kind of trick to get the 5ghz ssid to broadcast so the wireless devices can see and connect to it???

devices:
laptops
desktop
ps3
xbox
wii
kindle
mobile phones..

thanks.

They have have 5ghz capability. I have a ps3 and xbox360 and they are 2.4ghz only. The wii i am not sure about but I doubt it is if the ps3 and the xbox aren't. Same for the kindle. As far as I know only the iPhone 5 is 5ghz ready.
If your laptop and desktop don't have 5ghz adapters they won't see it either.

thank you for the reply!

good news (kinda)

our kindle fire does sees it and connects.
our toshiba laptop sees it and connects.
but
our samsung laptop does not.
our dell desktop touch screen does not (weird it is new than both laptops).
the ps3, xbox, wii also do not.

do i have to upgrade something in the dell and samsung for them to see it?

A quick test to see if the Dell and Samsung is capably to see the 5 GHz band is to install inSSIDer on them and see if the 5 GHz band is seen in it.
I have a Dell Inspiron 1720 which is capable to connect on the 5 GHz band but have had issues with connections to it so I bought an Asus USB-N53 instead and the connection is more stable but not perfect.

thank you for the reply!

good news (kinda)

our kindle fire does sees it and connects.
our toshiba laptop sees it and connects.
but
our samsung laptop does not.
our dell desktop touch screen does not (weird it is new than both laptops).
the ps3, xbox, wii also do not.

do i have to upgrade something in the dell and samsung for them to see it?

yeah maybe I jumped the gun giving them credit. But I have had good luck with this router so far. inSSIDer is definitely a good tool to use.

Funny side story. I "did" have to set my channel to manual (11/7). The reason was that my Droid Bionic would partial load on wifi and then freeze out any more data. Played around with a lot of stuff, speedtest was hideos, went off of auto and everything has been great ever since. Love inSSIDer also.

Probably a dual band wifi card or USB adapter.

Just be carefull on the wifi cards because some laptop manufacturers(HP I know for sure) set up their bios's with a white list for things like the wifi card. If the new card is not on the internal whitelist, you machine will not run with it installed.

With my HP, I have to run a modified(hacked) bios that removes the white list, in order to be able to run a dual band card. Before buying a new wifi card, I would suggest poking around Google and such to see if your laptop manufacturer/model runs a whitelist or not.

All,

Speaking of using inSIDDer and selecting channel, I've installed the application and see the initial settings is channel 6 gets a link score of 83. The inSIDDer instructions say trying channels 1, 6 and 11 and see what has the highest link score. However, I can't figure out where to change the channel to 1 or 11. Under wireless -> general, I see control channel but it doesn't have 1 or 11. I did change one the control channel to 36, exited and restarted inSIDDer but it still showed channel 6.

Can anyone advise?

Edit: I figure it out--sort of. The lower channels are for 2.4 while the higher channels ar 5ghz. What I don't understand is why it shows 6, but shows I'm connected through n?

Thnx!

Last edited:
All,

Speaking of using inSIDDer and selecting channel, I've installed the application and see the initial settings is channel 6 gets a link score of 83. The inSIDDer instructions say trying channels 1, 6 and 11 and see what has the highest link score. However, I can't figure out where to change the channel to 1 or 11. Under wireless -> general, I see control channel but it doesn't have 1 or 11. I did change one the control channel to 36, exited and restarted inSIDDer but it still showed channel 6.

Can anyone advise?

Edit: I figure it out--sort of. The lower channels are for 2.4 while the higher channels ar 5ghz. What I don't understand is why it shows 6, but shows I'm connected through n?

Thnx!

Do your SSIDs have the same name for 2.4ghz & 5ghz by chance? That can lead to some confusion as to what network you're connecting to and what you're looking at doing a wifi survey. I don't get why a lot of manufacturers default to that same name setting.

1,6, & 11 are traditionally best on 2.4ghz, especially if you're doing wide (40mhz) channels, but that's not really advisable with how crowded the 2.4ghz band is, you'd probably have better luck leaving it on auto or picking a channel with the least traffic. And for clients within good 5ghz range, that support 5ghz, let them connect using wide channels to 5ghz and take advantage of the increased speed 5ghz can often support.

Last edited:
help?

I first started my search because my Nest thermostat is always losing it's connection to wifi. But, I also have other issues. I have the Asus AC68R router and the Galaxy Note 3. I hate to say the typical, "all of a sudden" my phone doesn't see the 5GHz band. I'm sure I did something but, I don't know what? Actually the phone shows the SSID for the 5GHz but says, out of range. The router has not been moved and I'm 8' away.

RT-AC66U Crazy problems with connections and speed

Please offer any advice you can. I am not very familiar with networking, i.e. probably only know enough to be dangerous. I apologize in advance for the length of this post.

When I first set up the ASUS RT-AC66u router, it was awesome! Doubled the speed on transferring files from my desktop to my NAS, no problems streaming audio from the NAS, and internet ran smoothly. I VPN for work from my laptop, also no issues.
The next day, the desktop started losing connection to the NAS while streaming video. Later that day couldn't see the NAS in the file folder at all. Limped along.
Two days later we tried a PS3 LAN party (4 consoles, every Sunday) we couldn't connect to one another in lobby on LAN (COD Black Ops 2), went to online and had IP addresses all over the place. Lag issues and drops.

I have been trying to gleen tips from the internet and refine settings ever since, I have tried rebooting everything and resetting up and this is where I'm at:
My Laptop, Windows 7.1 Professional, Dell, with a work domain; can see the 2.4 and 5G connections (does not have a 5g card) can connect to 2.4 and VPN/surf internet.
Desktop: with TP Link WDN4800 and latest firmware, windows 7 home. Does not see the 5G. Runs slower on the ASUS 2.4 then it did on the netgear I had previously.
The ASUS RT-AC66U (supposedly)has the latest firmware: 3.0.0.4.374.726.
NAS is a QNAP also with latest firmware.
Internet - Windstream dsl 12 Mbps

Currently wireless for the PS3, but have a WD MyNet AC WiFi Bridge and my plan is to switch to wired with the WD. Do have a PS4 pre-ordered.

My gut tells me it is either a problem with windows home groups/networking, or the router is defective. Why else would it do great at first and then start having such sporadic issues?

This is very important to me because my 32 year old son was diagnosed with Sporadic ALS, more commonly known as Lou Gehrig's disease, in 2004. His muscles are paralyzed but his mind is not, so streaming entertainment, online gaming and internet surfing are all important to us. It is our only way to keep occupied and stay connected to our friends.

I just want to get the best performance from what internet speed I have, and with open NAT and less Lag. Also to max the speed of sending data back and forth between our desktop and the NAS. I can't believe I am having so much trouble with such a simple network.

Thank you all for your time and best regards,
Michele

If your issues are mostly with wireless, then it could be a change in your environment (or your neighbour's environment) causing interference. I recommend you try the following settings on the 2.4 GHz band:

1) Set channel width to 20 MHz (2.4 GHz), 20/40/80 or 80 (5 GHz)
2) Try with channel 1, see if it works better. If not, test again with channel 6, then with channel 11. You could use a tool such as InSSIDer to monitor channels used by your neighbours, but the interference could also come from a non-router device which is why it might be worth actually testing those channels separately.
3) I recommend you keep QoS disabled, for best performance.

374.726 isn't the latest FW (you can download 374.979 from Asus's website). However if it used to work fine previously, I would hold off on upgrading the FW for now - try it as a last resort measure (979 brought conflicting reports regarding it's wireless performance).

I'm not sure if you were asking my help or not? I'm beyond a noobie with networking. I haven't left the womb! Having said that I was able to discover what my issue was, and it was an easy fix. I went into the Wireless tab and scrolled down to Authentication Method. Whatever I had switched it to was wrong. Bottom line is, I set it to WPA2 Personal and I've yet to lose a connect. I see my 5GHz. I must say that occasionally, I check my widget and it somehow reverts back to the 2.4GHz. Don't know why??

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!