What's new

Confusion about IP assignments on RT-AC88U with Dish Hopper/Joey Wifi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

azbruno

Occasional Visitor
I have a Dish Hopper with Sling and Joey setup using Wifi. The Hopper is the main set top box and the Joey is the smaller box on the second TV.

I have found three different MAC addresses associated with this setup. For brevity, I will refer to them only by the last byte... :7C, :7A and :60.

My Router is configured as follows...
The LAN DHCP Assignments are set up to manually assign IP addresses to the three MAC addresses...
:7C = 192.168.1.124
:60 = 192.168.1.125
:7A = 192.168.1.126

The Hopper connects to my second 5GHz Guest network, which uses a MAC Filter that accepts the three MAC addresses.

Looking at the Hopper network connection on the TV, it is connected to the correct network and shows the wireless MAC address :)7C) and the MoCA address :)7A), but the IP is actually 192.168.1.213 (not a manual assignment). Looking at the Joey on the TV, it shows the IP address as 192.168.1.125 and MAC address :60. But then looking at the router's network map, it is showing the Wifi MAC address :7C with IP 192.168.1.213 under the 5GHz guest network interface with MAC and IP binding turned off. It also shows the Joey MAC :60 as IP 192.168.1.125, but it is listed under the WIRED interface.

This is very confusing. Why is MAC address :7C not manually assigned to 192.168.1.124? And why is IP 192.168.1.125 showing as wired?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!