What's new

Connect several home networks with VPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nikki

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I'd like to connect 4 home networks (mine and relatives).
All networks have asus routers with merlin FW. Every network connected to the different ISP.

First home has network 10.10.1.0/24, second - 10.10.2.0/24 and so on.

I'd like to them all together with VPN and have SMB and DNLA protocols work across all these networks.
I'm going to connect every router with openvpn or tinc VPNs, route packets between networks through VPNs and to run igmpproxy on the routers to proxy DLNA packets.

It it the correct and simplest setup, or some better way is possible?

Hi,

I'd like to connect 4 home networks (mine and relatives).
All networks have asus routers with merlin FW. Every network connected to the different ISP.

First home has network 10.10.1.0/24, second - 10.10.2.0/24 and so on.

I'd like to them all together with VPN and have SMB and DNLA protocols work across all these networks.
I'm going to connect every router with openvpn or tinc VPNs, route packets between networks through VPNs and to run igmpproxy on the routers to proxy DLNA packets.

It it the correct and simplest setup, or some better way is possible?
Any luck with this???

Partial luck.

I setup tunnels in "router" mode without much problems.

I setup avahi reflector for mDNS, and that was easy part
Code:
/jffs/configs/avahi-daemon.conf.add
[reflector]
enable-reflector=yes

Now I'm route multicast traffic (including dlna/upnp) through the tunnels and that's the real pain. I want multicasts routing also work as usual with WAN. So I need some kind of cascading routing: multicasts from the WANs should go to corresponding home networks, but not across the tunnels. And multicasts originated from home networks should be routed through the tunnels.

igmpproxy does not support cascading setups. There is some alternative - pcproxy, that may be useful. At least its configs can describe cascading schemes. But I cannot make it compile for the router still. That's where I am now.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!