What's new

Connect WiFi router to Wifi AP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

L1nuxg33k

New Around Here
Hi. Is it possible to connect my router to a wifi ap and use my desktop with ethernet cable? I've tried repeater/bridge mode and wds but I can't figure it out.

Brand and model number of each device ?

basically you want a wireless extender mode, perhaps “mesh” mode with wireless backhaul. If you do not need wireless for other devices, then it can work ok if adequate signal/bandwidth available.
If you need other devices to access wireless, then you need a 3 radio AP and wireless router minimum. Otherwise, it will be very slow for all users and you may be better off using moca2.5 or powerline to extend the ethernet to the pc location.

RT-AC86u
Basically I'm trying to connect my router to an xfinity ap and use that as internet to my computer via ethernet. I didn't try mesh mode cause I dont have access to the ap other then my xfinity login creds.

That's what Media Bridge mode is for. Seems like a waste of a router though, using it as a wireless Ethernet adapter.

Seems like the best use of a spare router to me. Media Bridge mode allows you to connect wired-capable devices and reduces the wireless load on the network (and when they're at some distance from the main router, they lessen the load considerably).

Media Bridge Mode

Ok so I need 2 routers? 1 to connect to Xfinity Wi-Fi and another one to connect to my computer?
No, you just configure the Asus in Media Bridge mode. The Asus connects to the WiFi on your main router and you connect your PC by Ethernet to the Asus's LAN port.

Travel routers have WISP. GL.iNet has multiple different models. Travel routers are not about performance though. The focus is on compact size, convenient options, privacy and power efficiency. Look at products, Travel Router.

Just to give you an idea based on a couple of quick tests using my GL AR750S (Slate) travel router:

My ISP connection tested using an Ethernet connected I7 PC 680 - 23 Mbps

When the Slate is connected to the AP using its 5Ghz radio. AP shows single stream AC indicates with a Link Rate 433 Mbps

Using a PC connected by Ethernet port on the Slate 225 - 24 Mbps

Using an Iphone connecting to the Slate using the phone's 5 Ghz radio 118 - 23 (On a multi stream AC AP, my phone can get 372 - 22 Mbps)

If I start a WireGuard VPN client on the slate the Wifi connection speed drops to 41-22 Mbps using the VPN tunnel.

The Slate has two stubby external antennas so the range is OK particularly if you consider its intended use in a hotel room.

The speeds and the availability of dual radios on the Slate are a big improvement over prior generation of travel routers.

May 20th

Just an update on my GL AR750S (Slate) Travel Router

Just got back from a week long trip and the router worked very well in my rental condo. Strong signal in all rooms. No trouble streaming Netflix. WireGuard VPN secured all phones, tablets, PCs and Ipads. Consistently got 27 Mbps using WireGuard VPN on a 45 Mbps connection. Slate connected to building's WiFI using 2.4 Ghz radio.

The Slate worked so well that when I got home I enabled dual WAN on AC86 and used the Slate connected it to LAN 1 on the AC86 while the Slate is connected to a Comcast hotspot. Fall over and fall back both work. Speed is slower 65 Mbps on the fallover connection down from 600+ Mbps on primary WAN connection but something is always better than nothing.

Very versatile piece of equipment worth every penny of the US$69 I paid for it.

Last edited:
Wi-Fi and ethernet can be used at the same time on your computer, however, the connection will not be any faster than just using one connection type. This is because the data comes from the same source, the same router. So the internet speed is limited by the max speed of the router.

No, it can't.

So you're looking to convert a wi-fi signal into RJ45? Look up 'vonets' as a cheap working solution. As mentioned above there are many routers that will connect using bridge mode or as a client, achieving the same but giving you more ports available, Asus do this very well, but I've also used various tp-link models and achieved the desired results. Be aware though that pings might be slightly less than would be through a direct cable connection. Avoid WDS even though it might sound similar to what you're needing. You will of course need the wireless credentials for the network you're connecting to.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!