What's new

Connected device not shown on "Network Map" -> Clients list

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@StR

A workaround for missing clients has been found:

Enable a guest network on 2.4 Ghz

Hide SSID: Yes (So that you won't be bothered by it.
Set network password (for obvious security)
Access Intranet : Disabled

Keep rest of the things on default.

Now each and every device on your LAN will magically appear.

Credits to Dave's reply at the end of thread here

Maybe @RMerlin can enable a bugfix and let Asus know about it.

@StR

thanks for this solution

Had the same issue with my Galaxy S21 FE and RT-AX82U, here is what helped me:
1. Switched on the phone from rabdomised MAC to Phone MAC
2. Upgraded to the latest firmware
3. Rebooted the router
4. Tweaked the wifi on the phone + switched from 2.4 to 5 GHz network
Now the phone is visible in the list.

P.S. Before I did that I reassured that at least phone is visible in DHCP lease list

Oh god damnit i just had this same issue. I went here and said damn,. known issue that sucks. Disconnected device to router, reconnected same result.
I rebooted the son of a BIt** and go to client list and the ip is now showing.. so just save some time and reboot the router if this is a must....

Does the
@StR

This kinda remedies the issue in that current clients do appear. However, old long-ago-disconnected clients still appear in the list.

Problems associated with the Network Map have been known about and discussed for years. As that component is closed source only Asus can fix any problems with it. That said, clicking Refresh on the Client Status list should repopulate it with the devices that are currently online (i.e. not in sleep mode).

Rebooting the router gets the list working again, but I'd rather not reboot my router periodically. Is the Client List feature by chance a standalone service? If yes, then is it possible to set up cron job to periodically restart this service (or maybe all services related to Client List function)?

@maxbraketorque I'm not sure what problem exactly that you're referring to, clients showing up or old non-existent clients. You could try killall networkmap and then wait about 60 seconds for the watchdog to restart it.

The client list stops updating after a while. I've never tried determining the length of time required, but its more than a few days. Takes perhaps a 1-2 weeks, and then after that, the list stops updating. Enabling a guest network as described a few posts above caused currently connected clients to be updated, but the disconnected clients did not fall off the list. This happens on all three ASUS router networks that I manage.

I'll try your suggestion after the list stops updating again.

@StR

THANK YOU!!! This was driving me nuts. I had a pair of AX6600 (XT8)s. Devices were not showing up. I ignored it. But with the pair I still wasn't getting coverage to parts of our home and back patio, due to the fiber entry point being in an inconvenient corner of the house, and interior brick walls, refrigerator location, etc. etc.

So I bought a used XT8 off eBay for a great price. Strategic placement resulted in super-fast connection on the patio so it seemed to be working, but no devices appeared to be connected to the new/used node. All devices that were close to the new/used node appeared to be still connected to the original router or node. Furthermore, as a test I was unable to bind anything well to the new-used node. Messages warned that signal was too weak. Asked if I wanted to proceed? As a test I said yes, to proceed with binding for a particular device. And...device wouldn't work on the new/used node. It was off the network, like in a dead spot.

I was beginning to suspect the router/node from eBay was defective. Then I tried your workaround. Now all devices on the router and both satellites show up, and mesh is working like it is supposed to. Weird.

The client list stops updating after a while. I've never tried determining the length of time required, but its more than a few days. Takes perhaps a 1-2 weeks, and then after that, the list stops updating. Enabling a guest network as described a few posts above caused currently connected clients to be updated, but the disconnected clients did not fall off the list. This happens on all three ASUS router networks that I manage.

I'll try your suggestion after the list stops updating again.
Interesting, I have seen this too (usually takes over a month or so). Router seems to work fine, even after Network Map stops updating, so I tend to ignore.

@maxbraketorque I'm not sure what problem exactly that you're referring to, clients showing up or old non-existent clients. You could try killall networkmap and then wait about 60 seconds for the watchdog to restart it.

I seem to have missed this or forgot about it. I currently have a cron job that kills asusdiscovery once per week. It appears to be working, but I need a few more weeks to be certain. If it doesn't work, then I'll try killing networkmap weekly.

As suggested by @dave14305, killing asusdiscovery seems to be getting the job done for me. I creating a cron job to kill asusdiscovery once a week has kept my client list active and editable for an entire month.

Thank you, this worked still on 388.1_0-gnuton1
I tried this before seeing the 'killall networkmap' suggestion I will try that if it happens again.
It was disconcerting seeing 90% bandwidth being used up on the traffic monitor and bandwidth monitor, but every device listed using a total of under 1%, streaming box now re-identified properly.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!