What's new

Connecting a managed and unmanaged switch

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ddaenen1

Very Senior Member
So i upgraded from 200Mbps to 1Gbps internet this week. Not fully functional yet as they need to come upgrade my modem to a DOCSIS3.1 model but in the mean time, i am very curious how my network setup will cope with it, especially my Mikrotik router and my Netgear switch.

I also have unmanaged switch (Totolink SC16 Gbps switch) that i am currently using as a lab/testing switch to try and set up configurations before adding anything to my network which i wanted to add to my network since i am slowly but steadily running out of ports on the Netgear. However, since this is an unmanaged switch, i cannot configure LACP to hook it up to the Netgear over 2 ports so i am wonder if this switch will be suitable in case i hook up multiple UTP connections to it that all are 1Gbps?

You can just plug the unmanaged switch into one of the managed switch ports. Bandwidth between the switches will be limited to 1 Gbps in each direction.

Put your devices with lower bandwidth requirements on the unmanaged switch.

The issue is potential limiting of local transfers, since your internet bandwidth is limited to 1 Gbps.

You can just plug the unmanaged switch into one of the managed switch ports. Bandwidth between the switches will be limited to 1 Gbps in each direction.

Put your devices with lower bandwidth requirements on the unmanaged switch.

The issue is potential limiting of local transfers, since your internet bandwidth is limited to 1 Gbps.

Thanks. This is the way i will do it for now. At one point i need to replace my main Netgear switch anyways because i am thinking of adding POE AP's and then i will use the Netgear as second switch and can i link both with LACP and the Totolink retires then.

If you want to use an unmanged switch with a network VLAN just add the unmanged switch to an access port in the VLAN and the whole unmanged switch and all ports will be in that 1 network VLAN. Think of expanding 1 port out to 24 ports less the connecting ports.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!