What's new

Connecting different IPs over same ethernet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

whsbuss

I am having a new house constructed and will be moving my FiOS service there. I have cat-6 jacks in most rooms and 2 TV outlets (coax). I will be having VZ connect the ONT for ethernet and coax for TV.

So the ONT ethernet will connect to my internal LAN, with their assigned IP. I will also have a 3-node eero Gen.1 connected to the same LAN. The attached configuration shows what it will look like. The 2 non-gateway eero's are not shown but are on the same LAN. I will be running the eero's with 10.0.0.1 IPs, with DHCP set above the 6 static devices on that network.

Will there be any problem with this? I cannot get a separate home run from ONT to TV location.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-10-06 at 2.32.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-10-06 at 2.32.50 PM.png
    106.9 KB · Views: 741
Usually cat6 is laid out in a star with one or more switches or routers providing the backbone. Also, it looks like you have a loop around the eero.
Is this really the physical layout ?
I assume "J" is for wall jack ?

Usually cat6 is laid out in a star with one or more switches or routers providing the backbone. Also, it looks like you have a loop around the eero.
Is this really the physical layout ?
I assume "J" is for wall jack ?

Yes J is for wall jack. The ethernet run from J3 to the top of eero #1 is going to the WAN port, which would see the VZ assigned IP. The ethernet run from the bottom of the eero to the switch would be the LAN IP of 10.0.0.x and then the switch going to various LAN devices. Yes I would assume the cat-6 would be in a star configuration..... I'm just showing all jacks being seen on the network.