What's new

connection of two routers to a main one

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Votes: 1 50.0%

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

g77w

New Around Here
Hello, I wanted to ask something about connecting 3 routers to a house, this is the idea I have:

main router "1" of the isp company (in bridge mode) = I manage it
router "2" connected by cable to "1" = I manage it
router "3" connected by cable to "1" = managed by someone else
iot_network1-600x417.png

I have some questions, first of all I have NOT yet bought the router "2", my budget is about 170 eur, my questions are:

-Is it possible to connect 2 routers to the main router?
-Any router that allows the isolation of a Lan port With another Lan Port? (For router "2")
-According to what has been said, is it possible that someone can sniff traffic with techniques like "MITM"?(for example the person who manages router "3")
If so, how could I avoid it?

Thank you all !!!

if you have not, please search the threads here as this has been discussed several times, even within the last few months.

main router in bridge mode will have only 1 output and to connect 2 routers you would need to have a very good management switch - traffic control/ split/ QoS etc.

main router in bridge mode will have only 1 output and to connect 2 routers you would need to have a very good management switch

Not true in all cases. My ISP with their modem/router in Bridge Mode provides 2 separate IPv4 external addresses on ports LAN1 and LAN2.

Is it possible to connect 2 routers to the main router?

Yes, you have 2 options:
- if more than one external IPs are available at the modem, the two routers connect to the modem and create 2 separate networks
- If only one external IP is available, the ISP device has to work as modem/router, the two routers after connect in double NAT
In both cases Router 2 and Router 3 devices don't see each other. In double NAT Routers 2/3 see Router 1 devices, if something is connected there.

Any router that allows the isolation of a Lan port With another Lan Port?

I'm assuming you're asking about home routers. As standard option - no. As custom configuration with custom firmware - yes.

Hello, I wanted to ask something about connecting 3 routers to a house, this is the idea I have:

main router "1" of the isp company (in bridge mode) = I manage it
router "2" connected by cable to "1" = I manage it
router "3" connected by cable to "1" = managed by someone else
View attachment 35060

I have some questions, first of all I have NOT yet bought the router "2", my budget is about 170 eur, my questions are:

-Is it possible to connect 2 routers to the main router?
-Any router that allows the isolation of a Lan port With another Lan Port? (For router "2")
-According to what has been said, is it possible that someone can sniff traffic with techniques like "MITM"?(for example the person who manages router "3")
If so, how could I avoid it?

Thank you all !!!
: Yes it is possible.
-If so, how could I avoid it?
: Impossible. That's why the internal enemy is always dangerous.

Don't scare the guy for no reason. A person on Router 3 network can't access Router 2 network. Router 2 network guy has to help him.
This is only true for traffic inside router 2 network.
Traffic from router 2 to router 1 can be easily seen by the managing entity of router 3, unless VPN is in place to cross out of router 1.
If router 1 has 2 ethernet interfaces then you could isolate router 3. And by having 2 interfaces I do not mean a switch but actually 2 interfaces with 2 different IP belonging to 2 different networks.