What's new

Connection problem after update to 386.2_4

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mslim

New Around Here
Using Asus RT-AC68U and updated to 386.2_4 and my router won't connect to my broadband termination unit - BTU (ie where the fibre optic comes to the house). Provider is the Malaysian Telecommunication Unifi network. I have been using the above with Merlin for many years - just didn't update for a while. Problem has nothing to do with that.

Gone thru it multiple times and set up, reflash multiple times but the Asus just will not connect to the BTU. This require a PPPOE setup with user name and password. Everything is set up right. To proof the point, I unplug the network cables and plug into Unifi's TP-Link router and it works. Meaning I have both units on and just unplug the ethernet cables from Asus and then connect to the TP-Link Archer C5 and it would work. The tell-tale sign is that the LAN1 light on the BTU will keep flashing when it is working. With the Asus it was static. LAN 1 from the BTU connects to the WAN port on either the Asus or the TP-Link.

This is super puzzling. At the moment I have the Asus reconfigure as an access-point and connected via a cable for upstairs and it works. As long as PPPOE is not used.

I am not finger pointing to Merlin. I flash to Asus own latest update and the same problem occurs. So I reflash back to Merlin.

Just as a note, with the Asus, the ethernet connection from computer to router would be quite erratic and keep dropping and would take a while to be constant whereas this doesn't happen with TPLink.

I am very puzzled. Hmmm. DHCP setup incorrect? Will check later....

Using Asus RT-AC68U and updated to 386.2_4 and my router won't connect to my broadband termination unit - BTU (ie where the fibre optic comes to the house). Provider is the Malaysian Telecommunication Unifi network. I have been using the above with Merlin for many years - just didn't update for a while. Problem has nothing to do with that.

Gone thru it multiple times and set up, reflash multiple times but the Asus just will not connect to the BTU. This require a PPPOE setup with user name and password. Everything is set up right. To proof the point, I unplug the network cables and plug into Unifi's TP-Link router and it works. Meaning I have both units on and just unplug the ethernet cables from Asus and then connect to the TP-Link Archer C5 and it would work. The tell-tale sign is that the LAN1 light on the BTU will keep flashing when it is working. With the Asus it was static. LAN 1 from the BTU connects to the WAN port on either the Asus or the TP-Link.

This is super puzzling. At the moment I have the Asus reconfigure as an access-point and connected via a cable for upstairs and it works. As long as PPPOE is not used.

I am not finger pointing to Merlin. I flash to Asus own latest update and the same problem occurs. So I reflash back to Merlin.

Just as a note, with the Asus, the ethernet connection from computer to router would be quite erratic and keep dropping and would take a while to be constant whereas this doesn't happen with TPLink.

I am very puzzled. Hmmm. DHCP setup incorrect? Will check later....
I am experiencing similar problems. I have an RT-AX88U as my main Router together with a RT-AC88U as a mesh node. Over the past couple of days, ever since upgrading both routers firmware to 386.2_4 I have repeatedly lost WAN access. I have raised a ton of tickets with my ISP thinking their service is down. They gave me the usual story.. turn off their fibre modem, wait 5mins.. and try again. Now I followed this recommendation AND power cycles the mains router, and sure enough everything worked for maybe 10-15mins and then lost again.

Now what is weird and is now pointing my focus on the ASUS routers, is that if I go into Adaptive QoS and run the Internet Speed test (i.e. on the router itself) I am getting a connection, actually in excess of the subscribed plan with my ISP (100Mbps service, reported in the speedtest of 150+Mbps). However if I run the same speed test from one of the devices connected to the ASUS router, Speedtest cannot find any of the test servers.
To make things more interesting, I enabled the wifi on my ISP fibre modem, just to see if I had wan access via the provided equipment, and sure enough (at the time of writing this) I have a connection. This concludes to me that the ASUS router is causing the issue.

My plan right now is to downgrade to the previous Merlin firmware to see if that fixes the problem.

Anyone else experienced similar problems? I will update this thread after I have downgraded the firmware with results.

Well... I downgraded my firmware on both the main router and mesh node to 386.2_2 and still have the same problem. The image on the left is the speedtest on the router and the right is the speedtest from my laptop. What the heck is going on? Is this an ASUS router issue (assumed yes) or some corrupt settings? Next steps for me is to upgrade firmware again to 386.2_4 and make a factory reset..

1622684595731.png

Well... I am now using the latest firmware, did a factory reset and have WAN access again from all connected devices. Hope this helps

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!