What's new

Connection Sharing in a Single MAC-Address Restricted Service Access

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Roy360360

Occasional Visitor
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Connection_Sharing_in_a_Single_MAC-Address_Restricted_Service_Access

Netconfig02.jpg

Is this possible to do on an ac68p?

If I wanted to connect to a website that filters by mac addresses.

I can't see how this is any different from the normal "clone MAC address" function of the router.

"If I wanted to connect to a website that filters by mac addresses". Web sites don't filter by MAC address, they can't. MAC addresses don't go outside the local subnet.

I can't see how this is any different from the normal "clone MAC address" function of the router.
So
WAN --> Internet Connection --> Special Requirement from ISP

"If I wanted to connect to a website that filters by mac addresses". Web sites don't filter by MAC address, they can't. MAC addresses don't go outside the local subnet

Oh. then how do those subscription based services limit people to using one device per account? If there's no ID or login

So
WAN --> Internet Connection --> Special Requirement from ISP
Correct.
Oh. then how do those subscription based services limit people to using one device per account? If there's no ID or login
What sort of subscription based service are you referring to, can you give an example? If it's web-based it's probably done with a cookie or by IP address. If it's app-based there's probably a key or fingerprint generated by the app.

Correct.
What sort of subscription based service are you referring to, can you give an example? If it's web-based it's probably done with a cookie or by IP address. If it's app-based there's probably a key or fingerprint generated by the app.

I was looking at IPTV subscriptions.

I'm new to this stuff, but judging by the forums I've been reading, activation seems to have something to do with MAC addresses.

I see. It sounds like the same method that ISP's use with cable modems. They provide the user with a "box" and it's the MAC address of that "box" which is activated on the system. One or more of the devices in your home will then connect to this "box".

I don't have any experience with kind of thing so I could be completely wrong. I'm sure other members of the forum will be able explain properly.:) (I think it also involves VLANs)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!