What's new

Consolidated Reset/Restore/Upgrade Thread

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

k9lef09

New Around Here
I have used this forum extensively for years and have have benefited from Merlin firmware for most of that time. I have also relied heavily on explanations from longstanding members specific to the Asus Merlin forum: RMerlin, L&LD, OE, and others.

From this forum, I believe I have consolidated best practices recommended here, but have described them from the point of a noob who has been confused about the various ways one can reset NVRAM.

I started with these sources:
Router Setup & Configuration Guide
(NOOB) Definition of "minimal and manual configuration" | SmallNetBuilder Forums
RT-AC66U - Slow WAN to LAN | Page 3 | SmallNetBuilder Forums

My goal is to list out actions to Reset/Restore/Upgrade using language provided in the User Interface itself. I would appreciate feedback on this distillation. Feedback on procedures and order of operation will be appreciated. Also helpful would be confirmation that the processes for refreshing firmware, clearing NVRAM, reformatting JIFFs, Restoring defaults. Discussions about the various ways to clear NVRAM or Restore Defaults won't help me or other general users much.

Clear environment
· Turn off all clients, including any wireless routers or repeaters

· Turn off modem and unplug

· Turn off Wired Router and unplug

· Disconnect modem from Wired Router WAN port

· Connect Laptop to Wired Router LAN port

· Plug in router, wait 10 seconds, turn on Wired Router, wait to initialize.

Restore existing firmware
· When restarted, hold Reset (indented button on back) until power LED flashes. Release button and Router will restart. Wait for restart to complete (Clears NVRAM settings to restore factory default, same as using WPS button during a power cycle).

· Quick Internet Setup will appear in browser. Input router.asus.com/index.asp into URL to bypass Quick Setup.

· Set ID/PW on screen

· From Administration/Restore, perform firmware restore w/Initialize and wait for reboot (applies factory default settings)

· From Administration/System, select Format JFFS partition at next reboot, select Ok and Apply (clears scripts and restores defaults from CFE).

· Select Reboot from GUI and wait for router to restart

· Turn off router, unplug, wait for 10 seconds, plug in again, turn on power

Upgrade firmware

· From Administration/Firmware Upgrade, perform upload new firmware and wait for reboot (on Merlin it will be at the bottom labeled Upload). Wait for install.

· When restarted, hold Reset (indented button on back) until power LED flashes. Release button and Router will restart. Wait for restart to complete (Clears NVRAM settings to restore factory default, same as using WPS button during a power cycle).

· Quick Internet Setup will appear in browser. Input router.asus.com/index.asp into URL to bypass Quick Setup.

· Set ID/PW on screen

· From Administration/Restore, perform firmware restore w/Initialize and wait for reboot (applies factory default settings)

· From Administration/System, select Format JFFS partition at next reboot, select Ok and Apply (clears scripts and restores defaults from CFE).

Last edited:
I have used this forum extensively for years and have have benefited from Merlin firmware for most of that time. I have also relied heavily on explanations from longstanding members specific to the Asus Merlin forum: RMerlin, L&LD, OE, and others.

From this forum, I believe I have consolidated best practices recommended here, but have described them from the point of a noob who has been confused about the various ways one can reset NVRAM.

I started with these sources:
Router Setup & Configuration Guide
(NOOB) Definition of "minimal and manual configuration" | SmallNetBuilder Forums
RT-AC66U - Slow WAN to LAN | Page 3 | SmallNetBuilder Forums

why restore existing firmware when you can just up grade to the new firmware
My goal is to list out actions to Reset/Restore/Upgrade using language provided in the User Interface itself. I would appreciate feedback on this distillation. Feedback on procedures and order of operation will be appreciated. Also helpful would be confirmation that the processes for refreshing firmware, clearing NVRAM, reformatting JIFFs, Restoring defaults. Discussions about the various ways to clear NVRAM or Restore Defaults won't help me or other general users much.

Clear environment
· Turn off all clients, including any wireless routers or repeaters

· Turn off modem and unplug

· Turn off Wired Router and unplug

· Disconnect modem from Wired Router WAN port

· Connect Laptop to Wired Router LAN port

· Plug in router, wait 10 seconds, turn on Wired Router, wait to initialize.

Restore existing firmware

· Set ID/PW on screen

· Turn off router, unplug, wait for 10 seconds, plug in again, turn on power

Upgrade firmware

· From Administration/Firmware Upgrade, perform upload new firmware and wait for reboot (on Merlin it will be at the bottom labeled Upload). Wait for install.

· Set ID/PW on screen

arn't you are ment to do a factory rest after you installed the new firmware you dont need to restore existing firmware