1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Constant "No Internet Access" Win10 Network Icon

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by goonerm3, Mar 19, 2019.

1. goonerm3

goonerm3 New Around Here

So I recently discovered snb and the great asusmerlin for my RT-86U. I have the following running on it:
    1) Diversion v4.0.7
    2) Entware
    3) Skynet v6.8.2
    4) Stubby DNS v1.0.9

I have already tried doing a clean install on the router. I have a dedicated 32gb usb thumdrive in the USB2.0 port for ent, swap, etc. AND a separate 2TB HDD on the USB3.0 port. The machine in question also has Windows Firewall Control install (although this network issue was never present with my old Netgear running DD-WRT)

I only have 1 windows machine on the network (the one in question) with a constant "No Internet Access" Network Icon. Windows network diagnostics just keeps resetting the network adapter and rebooting with no change. I also have a few programs that seem to think that I am not connected to the internet e.g: Lenovo Companion.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. L&LD

L&LD Part of the Furniture

https://www.binisoft.org/wfc.php

Are you talking about the above Windows Firewall Control?

It already lists possible compatibility issues using it.

And the previous router that didn't have an issue didn't have the amtm + scripts either. ;)

3. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

Are you blocking Microsoft sites (i.e. telemetry, etc.) through Diversion or Skynet?

L&LD likes this.
  4. EmeraldDeer

EmeraldDeer Senior Member

For example, the hosts in this excerpt from my registry.
    Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NlaSvc\Parameters\Internet
    InternetProbe.png

L&LD and ColinTaylor like this.
  5. goonerm3

goonerm3 New Around Here

I do have those registry entries and I am using O&O ShutUp10 - O&O Software GmbH with a few other scripts for blocking telemetry. Other than that nothing network related.

6. L&LD

Are you also using what I ask in post 2 above?

7. goonerm3

goonerm3 New Around Here

Yes I am using WFC by binisoft.

8. AndreiV

AndreiV Very Senior Member

Best advice now that WFC is no longer owned by Binisoft .......... remove it and never install again.

I used it for years, the latest version is a castrated effort by Malwarebytes which caused ALL my devices to slow to a crawl and was seen to be sending data to unknown connections.

There is an error in the latest version of Win 10 , I and several folk I know had the same issue with the internet connection.

I had to reset the connection many times to get it to work.

Try this >>
    Windows settings > Update and security > Troubleshoot > Find and Fix other Problems > Network Adapter > Run the Troubleshooter.
    That offered a network reset and cured the problem for me.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    L&LD likes this.
  9. L&LD

I would also vote to remove this software too.

10. PolarBear

PolarBear Regular Contributor

It one time Malwarebytes was supposedly the "go to" cleaning tool for PCs infected with viruses.

Would these negative feelings towards WFC (now owned by Malwarebytes) also extend to Malwarebytes other products ?

11. L&LD

I have used various tools for virus removal in the past, including Malwarebytes. Today, I rely upon Windows defaults and my selective browsing habits to keep me safe. This has worked well for the past few years.

I think people with A/V software installed feel they are almost invincible (online), but they learn otherwise, sooner or later.

Negative feelings do not come into play here for just a specific vendor. I feel the same towards all A/V solutions out there. I trust Windows built-in defenses just 'enough' because MS has a vested interest to keep their os malware free for their user.

But I can't emphasize enough; I trust myself more when it comes to careful surfing, file sharing and when connecting a customers equipment to my network (I don't connect it, period if I can't isolate it 100%).

kernol, martinr and skeal like this.
  12. AndreiV

Malwarebytes can be a useful diagnostic tool but the claims for prevention are rather more than overblown as lab testing has shown. I ran their premium software for @ 6 years, never once did it detect or prevent anything.

Apart from that I will never trust a company that is so insecure they allow their customers personal details to be filtched from their servers.

If they can't even protect their websites/servers and forum why would I ever trust them with anything else?

L&LD, martinr and skeal like this.
  13. martinr

martinr Very Senior Member

Only 3 days ago I had a slight glitch with WFC so I looked for an update and duly downloaded it only to get a surprise to see Malwarebytes’ name stamped all over it.

WFC has served me well for longer than I can remember and stood the test of time, so it was a big disappointment to realise that the developer Alexandro Dicu has gone. Like Sandboxie, a trusted developer, with the patience to reply to emails, no longer runs it.

So what have you done, stuck with the last good Binisoft version, which might not be a good idea in the long term, or just learned to live without it?

14. AndreiV

Live without it. Win 10 firewall does all you need , WFC just made control easier.

L&LD and martinr like this.
  15. martinr

Much easier, for me, anyway.

Many thanks.

16. martinr

Reminds me of a quote in Michael Lucas’ excellent SSH Mastery book: “The appearance of security is worse than no security”

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    L&LD likes this.
  17. sfx2000

sfx2000 Part of the Furniture

I agree and concur...

L&LD likes this.
  18. sfx2000

sfx2000 Part of the Furniture

I wouldn't suggest there are negative feelings about MWB or their products... their tools can be quite useful.

Anything that touches Window's built-in firewall can be problematic, and this is not limited to Win10 - I recall Norton having serious issues with Win7/WinXP a few years back.

L&LD likes this.
  19. goonerm3

goonerm3 New Around Here

So I've had WFC uninstalled for a few days now and the icon is still there. Is there anything else anyone would recommend trying? Other than my Lenovo update software not working properly, everything else network related is fine.

20. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

What about what we said in posts 3 and 4?
    This would seem to be the most obvious source of the problem. Have you tried disabling these "other scripts"?

Can you reach http://www.msftconnecttest.com/connecttest.txt from the effected PC?