What's new

Convert two ac68u AP to AiMesh, and now both use same channel?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tts

Occasional Visitor
I convert two ac68u AP Mode to the AiMesh(Ethernet Backhaul Mode), it's really a pain since i have to hard reset one ac68u to get work, but it's good in the end.

One thing i noticed is that, both ac68u now using exact same channel for both 2.4 and 5. I thought this is a very bad practice.

Quote from google search:
When two or more access points or wireless clients (stations) that are in range of one another, operate on the same channel, they form one collision domain. If any two devices in the same collision domain transmit at the same time, their radio signals will collide, resulting in corruption or frame loss.

Is this expected? When both ac68u in AP mode, they select different channel automatically.

I convert two ac68u AP Mode to the AiMesh(Ethernet Backhaul Mode), it's really a pain since i have to hard reset one ac68u to get work, but it's good in the end.

One thing i noticed is that, both ac68u now using exact same channel for both 2.4 and 5. I thought this is a very bad practice.

Quote from google search:

Is this expected? When both ac68u in AP mode, they select different channel automatically.

Same channel across AiMesh nodes is by design, and how wireless nodes must be to interconnect... on the same channel.

OE

An AP needs a wired backhaul to connect, and therefore is free to broadcast on different channels as needed.

An AiMesh setup is propagating the main router settings for the main wireless radios and the Guest Network 1 radio (for each band). With a wired or wireless connection, the channels must be identical (otherwise, it could never connect.

If you want to have different channels used for the nodes, you need a router with two 5GHz bands/radios to do so, when using AiMesh. One to connect to the main router, and the other to connect to the remote client devices.

If you want to have different channels used for the nodes, you need a router with two 5GHz bands/radios to do so, when using AiMesh. One to connect to the main router, and the other to connect to the remote client devices.

OP: Adding a dedicated 5-2 band for backhaul still uses a common channel across all AiMesh nodes... all 2.4 WLANs will use the same channel; all 5-1 WLANs will use the same channel; all 5-2 WLANs will use the same channel.

OE

Not if the main router is just a two radio/two band design.

Not if the main router is just a two radio/two band design.

Then you're not adding a 5-2 band for dedicated backhaul.

Regardless, OP's concern remains... AiMesh uses the same channels across nodes by design.

OE

Yes, you are. But you would need a separate SSID for the client devices.

Yes, you are. But you would need a separate SSID for the client devices.

Sorry, I can't follow what you are trying to say as it relates to the OP's query.

OE

Thank you guys! But I still confused on why they use same channel, this sounds a bad design to me since same channle could make signal worse.. one ac68u in "Access Point(AP) mode / AiMesh Router in AP mode" and another on in "AiMesh Node", both connected to the same router by wire.

Thank you guys! But I still confused on why they use same channel, this sounds a bad design to me since same channle could make signal worse.. one ac68u in "Access Point(AP) mode / AiMesh Router in AP mode" and another on in "AiMesh Node", both connected to the same router by wire.

Next time you are in a medical office, run a WiFi analyzer app to see their many APs broadcasting on the same channel. WiFi is a shared medium... everybody including your neighbors shares the same limited radio spectrum. Wireless mesh APs have to be on the same channel if they are going to talk to each other. Adding the wired backhaul does not change this... AiMesh is designed to failover to wireless backhaul. The challenge for you is to not install more APs/transmitters than are necessary to cover your radio space and to deploy them far enough apart to manage their signal strength for site conditions.

If you want to use different channels, wire discrete APs, manage them individually, and see how your clients behave.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!