What's new

Copy executable from Asuswrt-Merlin to Asuswrt

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JoyceBabu

Occasional Visitor
I bought an Asus RT AC88U yesterday, on which I wish to run a custom script for DDNS updation. On my old RT-N18 I was using curl with the --interface option to update both my WAN ip addresses.

I just found out that AsusWRT does not bundle curl with it. I do not want to void the warranty right away, by installing a non-stock firmware. I want to ensure that the router does not have any hardware defects by using it with stock firware for at least a month, before installing Asuswrt-Merlin.

Until then, if I copy curl executable from Asuswrt-Merlin to /jffs directory, will it work? Will there be any binary compatibility/shared library conflicts?

Don't think installing asuswrt-Merlin will void the warranty ;)
When I got my 87u at the store they told me I could try it for 30 days and i told them I will install Merlin on it, They just said to reinstall asus firmware and reset it if you want to return it no problem :)

Last edited:
I want to ensure that the router does not have any hardware defects by using it with stock firware for at least a month, before installing Asuswrt-Merlin.

Until then, if I copy curl executable from Asuswrt-Merlin to /jffs directory, will it work? Will there be any binary compatibility/shared library conflicts?

What if there are software defects in the stock firmware? ;)
Here's the libraries curl needs, if it's not present on stock then you need to copy it over.

Code:
admin@RT-AC68U-1DD0:/jffs# ldd /usr/sbin/curl
        libcurl.so.4 => /usr/lib/libcurl.so.4 (0x40279000)
        libz.so.1 => /usr/lib/libz.so.1 (0x40106000)
        libcrypto.so.1.0.0 => /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.1.0.0 (0x402d1000)
        libssl.so.1.0.0 => /usr/lib/libssl.so.1.0.0 (0x4013d000)
        libdl.so.0 => /lib/libdl.so.0 (0x401e2000)
        libpthread.so.0 => /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0x40198000)
        libc.so.0 => /lib/libc.so.0 (0x401ed000)
        libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x40089000)
        ld-uClibc.so.0 => /lib/ld-uClibc.so.0 (0x400b2000)

Until then, if I copy curl executable from Asuswrt-Merlin to /jffs directory, will it work?

No, because curl also comes with a library, it's not just an executable. And some things in the stock firmware will not be compatible with it - WTFast is one such thing that crashes under newer curl releases.

If you really want the curl executable for the stock firmware, recompile the GPL code, then copy the resulting curl exe from your build tree to your router. That way, it will match with the rest of the firmware code.