What's new

Unbound Correct location and permissions for unbound.conf.add file

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

iTyPsIDg

I'm having trouble locating the correct path and permissions needed for the unbound.conf.add file. I prefer not to modify the original, but I've seen both /opt/share/unbound and /opt/share/unbound/configs listed as the correct path. Where should this file go so that it overrides some of the settings in unbound.conf?

Also, what permissions are needed for the file? I currently have it set to 666.

Last edited:
I'm having trouble locating the correct path and permissions needed for the unbound.conf.add file. I prefer not to modify the original, but I've seen both /opt/share/unbound and /opt/share/unbound/configs listed as the correct path. Where should this file go so that it overrides some of the settings in unbound.conf?

Also, what permissions are needed for the file? I currently have it set to 444.
I edit in this file /opt/share/unbound/configs/unbound.conf.add
Restart unbound manager advanced, use oq command do a query to verify the new value is working.

-rw-rw-rw- 1 admin root 10.7K Jun 29 20:02 unbound.conf.add

For example, here is the changes I made
Code:
admin@RT-AC86U-DBA8:/tmp/home/root# egrep -v '(^[[:space:]]*#|^[[:space:]]*$)' /opt/s
hare/unbound/configs/unbound.conf.add
outgoing-interface: 192.168.1.1        # v1.08 Martineau Use VPN tunnel to hide Root server queries from ISP (or force WAN ONLY)
log-local-actions: yes                     # v1.02 @Martineau ('yes' required for @juched's Graphical Ad Block statistics)
cache-max-ttl: 86400            # 86400; default 14400                             # v1.08 Martineau
cache-min-ttl: 3600             # 3600; default 1200                              # v1.08 Martineau
serve-expired-ttl: 259200       # 259200; three days, default 1 day                 # v1.12 as per @juched
outgoing-range: 950             # depends on number of cores: 1024/cores - 50
num-queries-per-thread: 512     # best set at half the number of the outgoing-range
so-rcvbuf: 1m                   # Larger socket buffer                      # v1.05 Martineau see DEFAULT /proc/sys/net/core/rmem_default
admin@RT-AC86U-DBA8:/tmp/home/root#

Last edited:
I edit in this file /opt/share/unbound/configs/unbound.conf.add
Restart unbound manager advanced, use oq command do a query to verify the new value is working.

-rw-rw-rw- 1 admin root 10.7K Jun 29 20:02 unbound.conf.add
Interesting. I have it in the correct location, I've restarted a few times, but it doesn't seem to load.
Code:
log-replies: yes
log-local-actions: yes

# no threads and no memory slabs for threads
num-threads: 2
msg-cache-slabs: 4
rrset-cache-slabs: 4
infra-cache-slabs: 4
key-cache-slabs: 4

key-cache-size: 10m
msg-cache-size: 10m
rrset-cache-size: 20m

Also, what permissions are needed for the file? I currently have it set to 444.
Last time I looked, I recall I coded
Code:
/opt/share/unbound/configs/unbound.postconf
/opt/share/unbound/configs/unbound.conf.add
etc.
and 666 will suffice for the permissions, although you may manually set the execute permission 777

I'll correct my mistake, I had 666 for the permissions, not 444.

777 didn't do the trick either.

I verified the path from /jffs/addons/unbound/unbound_manager.sh is /opt/share/unbound/configs/unbound.conf.add.

Maybe I need a full restart of the router, which will have to wait since people are currently using it. I tried using rs and rl in advanced mode, but neither of those caused my changes to load.

I'll correct my mistake, I had 666 for the permissions, not 444.

777 didn't do the trick either.

I verified the path from /jffs/addons/unbound/unbound_manager.sh is /opt/share/unbound/configs/unbound.conf.add.

Maybe I need a full restart of the router, which will have to wait since people are currently using it. I tried using rs and rl in advanced mode, but neither of those caused my changes to load.
A reboot of the router isn't necessary.

I'll have to check when I get back, but in the interim no doubt Colin Taylor can assist