Unbound Correct location and permissions for unbound.conf.add file

iTyPsIDg

Regular Contributor
I'm having trouble locating the correct path and permissions needed for the unbound.conf.add file. I prefer not to modify the original, but I've seen both /opt/share/unbound and /opt/share/unbound/configs listed as the correct path. Where should this file go so that it overrides some of the settings in unbound.conf?

Also, what permissions are needed for the file? I currently have it set to 666.

Last edited:

chongnt

I'm having trouble locating the correct path and permissions needed for the unbound.conf.add file. I prefer not to modify the original, but I've seen both /opt/share/unbound and /opt/share/unbound/configs listed as the correct path. Where should this file go so that it overrides some of the settings in unbound.conf?

Also, what permissions are needed for the file? I currently have it set to 444.
I edit in this file /opt/share/unbound/configs/unbound.conf.add
Restart unbound manager advanced, use oq command do a query to verify the new value is working.

-rw-rw-rw- 1 admin root 10.7K Jun 29 20:02 unbound.conf.add

For example, here is the changes I made
Code:
[email protected]:/tmp/home/root# egrep -v '(^[[:space:]]*#|^[[:space:]]*$)' /opt/s
hare/unbound/configs/unbound.conf.add
outgoing-interface: 192.168.1.1        # v1.08 Martineau Use VPN tunnel to hide Root server queries from ISP (or force WAN ONLY)
log-local-actions: yes                     # v1.02 @Martineau ('yes' required for @juched's Graphical Ad Block statistics)
cache-max-ttl: 86400            # 86400; default 14400                             # v1.08 Martineau
cache-min-ttl: 3600             # 3600; default 1200                              # v1.08 Martineau
serve-expired-ttl: 259200       # 259200; three days, default 1 day                 # v1.12 as per @juched
outgoing-range: 950             # depends on number of cores: 1024/cores - 50
num-queries-per-thread: 512     # best set at half the number of the outgoing-range
so-rcvbuf: 1m                   # Larger socket buffer                      # v1.05 Martineau see DEFAULT /proc/sys/net/core/rmem_default
[email protected]:/tmp/home/root#

Last edited:

iTyPsIDg

Regular Contributor
I edit in this file /opt/share/unbound/configs/unbound.conf.add
Restart unbound manager advanced, use oq command do a query to verify the new value is working.

-rw-rw-rw- 1 admin root 10.7K Jun 29 20:02 unbound.conf.add
Interesting. I have it in the correct location, I've restarted a few times, but it doesn't seem to load.
Code:
log-replies: yes
log-local-actions: yes

# no threads and no memory slabs for threads
num-threads: 2
msg-cache-slabs: 4
rrset-cache-slabs: 4
infra-cache-slabs: 4
key-cache-slabs: 4

key-cache-size: 10m
msg-cache-size: 10m
rrset-cache-size: 20m

Martineau

Part of the Furniture

Also, what permissions are needed for the file? I currently have it set to 444.
Last time I looked, I recall I coded
Code:
/opt/share/unbound/configs/unbound.postconf
/opt/share/unbound/configs/unbound.conf.add
etc.
and 666 will suffice for the permissions, although you may manually set the execute permission 777

iTyPsIDg

Regular Contributor
I'll correct my mistake, I had 666 for the permissions, not 444.

777 didn't do the trick either.

I verified the path from /jffs/addons/unbound/unbound_manager.sh is /opt/share/unbound/configs/unbound.conf.add.

Maybe I need a full restart of the router, which will have to wait since people are currently using it. I tried using rs and rl in advanced mode, but neither of those caused my changes to load.

Martineau

Part of the Furniture
I'll correct my mistake, I had 666 for the permissions, not 444.

777 didn't do the trick either.

I verified the path from /jffs/addons/unbound/unbound_manager.sh is /opt/share/unbound/configs/unbound.conf.add.

Maybe I need a full restart of the router, which will have to wait since people are currently using it. I tried using rs and rl in advanced mode, but neither of those caused my changes to load.
A reboot of the router isn't necessary.

I'll have to check when I get back, but in the interim no doubt Colin Taylor can assist