What's new

Correct procedure for flashing Merlin to brand-new router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DCT

Occasional Visitor
I just bought a new RT-AC86U, I want to do the flash the correct way. What are the steps that I need to take? I've never done anything like this before so am a bit nervous about trying to. Should I update to the latest factory Firmware first before flashing to Merlin?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

I would;
1. Remove any USB devices and disconnect all LAN clients apart from the PC you'll be using.
2. Reboot the router and wait for it to fully complete its boot up process.
3. Log into the router and upload the Merlin firmware (Administration - Firmware Upgrade).
4. Wait for the router to reboot and you can see the log on page. - Don't log in.
5. Press the reset button for 5 seconds and wait for the router to reboot (see section 2.2 in the manual).
6. Log in and set up the router.

I would;
1. Remove any USB devices and disconnect all LAN clients apart from the PC you'll be using.
3. Log into the router and upload the Merlin firmware (Administration - Firmware Upgrade).
4. Wait for the router to reboot and you can see the log on page. - Don't log in.
5. Press the reset button for 5 seconds and wait for the router to reboot (see section 2.2 in the manual).
Thanks, I just wasn't too sure of the right way to go about it, this helps a lot .
Will I have to make a new password after factory reset or can I reuse the same password I used to set it up the first time?

I would;
Step 5 is wrong for the AC86U. Asus recommends: Power off then power on while holding the WPS button. When the power LED goes off, turn off the power then power back on. See: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039078

versus

looks totally identical to me...
OK, but CT wrote: "5. Press the reset button for 5 seconds and wait for the router to reboot (see section 2.2 in the manual)."

Step 5 is wrong for the AC86U. Asus recommends: Power off then power on while holding the WPS button. When the power LED goes off, turn off the power then power back on. See: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039078
That's a different type of reset. I was suggesting a "normal reset" as described in section 2.2 of the RT-AC86U manual. You are describing a "hard reset" which should not be necessary.

"To reset your router to the factory default settings, you can Press and Hold the Reset button on your router. However, in some cases, this may not successfully reset the router to the default status. ASUS recommends that you try the Hard Factory Reset before attempting any advanced troubleshooting."

Despite what Asus says, WPS did not recover my router after jffs got messed up with the latest update. Reset button did.

I just successfully flashed Merlin so all is good. I just went by Collin's suggestions. I also saved my previous settings just in case.
Now when there is a new update for Merlin do I do this procedure again?

I just successfully flashed Merlin so all is good. I just went by Collin's suggestions. I also saved my previous settings just in case.
Now when there is a new update for Merlin do I do this procedure again?
No. Just upload the new firmware through the GUI. That's all.

EDIT: Actually it's sometimes advisable to do steps 1 and 2 prior to step 3 just to ensure there is enough free memory to do the update.