What's new

Corsair Voyager Air & Merlinwrt

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Fyew-jit-tiv

Regular Contributor
@RMerlin

I have a Corsair Voyager Air 1TB Network hard Drive which cannot be discovered using your latest Firmware for RT-AC88U. This hard drive will not be discovered within the network. Whilst using every version of Asus firmware this drive would always mount as a network drive. I have only started to use your firmware's so cannot tell you if this was working with any of your previous versions. Please advise?

Thanks

Windows 10 ?
Im puzzled but what you're saying here. This was working perfect using the same OS the only thing I had changed recently is marlins firmware.. All my other Network devices are working fine. I reinstalled the firmware to the router back to Asus official and all is working fine. I don't and have not used smbv1 for the past 2yrs.

How is the Corsair connected to your router, Ethernet, WiFi or USB? If it's Ethernet or WiFi can you ping its IP address?

How is the Corsair connected to your router, Ethernet, WiFi or USB? If it's Ethernet or WiFi can you ping its IP address?
Connected to ethernet and yes I can ping.
Pinging 192.168.1.15 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.15: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64
Ping statistics for 192.168.1.15:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

OK.

I'm not familiar with this device. What network protocol is it using, SMB/CIFS, NFS, DLNA? You say it "cannot be discovered", what are you doing exactly to "discover" it?

what I would normally do with the Official Asus firmware. check for it in my network places or look for it via explorer \\Devicename. As far as im aware this device uses SMB and also serves as a DNLA server. Like I mentioned when going back to Asus official FW everything works just fine.

Update:

I can access the device via web browser just cant mount the device in network places. Via web browser only give me access to the device settings. The problem seems to be related to the SMB/DNLA.

Have you tried this from a client that is also directly attached to the router via Ethernet rather than WiFi?

What happens if you enter \\Devicename directly (from the Run command or Map Network Drive) instead of browsing for it?

Wifi or ethernet I cannot connect to the drive period. Can only access settings from browser. This has something to do with merlin's firmware. Soon as I revert back to ASUS official FW there isn't any problems.

You appear to have ruled out WiFi as a source of the problem.

The RT-AC88U is slightly unusual in that it has 8 LAN ports but 4 of them are on one switch chip and the other 4 are on another. Try testing again with both devices (the drive and the PC) plugged into ports 1 and 2. If it still doesn't work try ports 7 and 8. That will determine whether there's an issue with the communication between the switch chips.

Not ruled out WiFi at all.. you don't understand how this device works. You connect via LAN and stream from mobile devices via wifi. Mate i have tried EVERY PORT on the router. Like i keep saying this device WORKS using asus official FW on every port and has done for the past year and half. only had this problem when i installed Merlin's FW 5 days ago. never used Merlins firmware before now.

No, I don't understand how this device works, which is what I said in post #6. But repeatedly saying that it works using Asus' firmware doesn't help diagnose the problem.

Unless you can provide some more specific information other than "it doesn't work" I don't think there's anything else I can suggest.

No, I don't understand how this device works, which is what I said in post #6. But repeatedly saying that it works using Asus' firmware doesn't help diagnose the problem.

Unless you can provide some more specific information other than "it doesn't work" I don't think there's anything else I can suggest.

Mate you're insulting my intelligence now. What ever Merlin has done in the implementation of the snb update it has effected my drive from appearing in windows period. If this works with the Asus FW WITHOUT ANY problems then it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out where the problem stands. Anyway thanks for your input can you please end you posts here as you are not helpful. I'm happy to wait on Merlin for his POV.

Mate you're insulting my intelligence now. What ever Merlin has done in the implementation of the snb update it has effected my drive from appearing in windows period. If this works with the Asus FW WITHOUT ANY problems then it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out where the problem stands. Anyway thanks for your input can you please end you posts here as you are not helpful. I'm happy to wait on Merlin for his POV.

After flashing RMerlin's firmware onto your router, did you then follow with a full reset to factory defaults and then minimally and manually configure the router to secure it and connect to your ISP? I would also recommend you use new SSID's and make sure they are at least 8 characters long and do not include any spaces, special characters or smilies. Make sure your passwords are also not using any special characters either.

Make sure you do not use a backup config file to restore your settings.

Make sure you are not simply inputting your 'normal' customizations into the new firmware (at least, not all at once). See if a totally reset router with default settings works as expected. Then, add each customization you think is required one at a time and testing as you go. I would recommend rebooting the router too and waiting at least 10 minutes after each addition, verifying that all previous customizations are continuing to work as expected.

If you did not do the full reset to factory defaults after flashing RMerlin firmware, your router is not in a good/known state. See the following link for the 'why'.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-nvram-and-factory-default-reset.22822/

To get your router in a good/known state, please follow the link in my signature to the M&M Config setup. The other links may also be helpful too.

Access it by its URI. Asus still uses a prehistoric version of Samba that supports SMB1 + Network Neighbourhood discovery. My firmware upgraded to a Samba version from the Middle Age, which adds SMB2 support, however the SMB2 protocol no longer supports network neighbourhood discovery.

You can either access it by its URI, or revert the router to only support SMB1. We aware however that SMB1 is considered unsafe to use these days, and has been phased out by Microsoft these past few years. New Windows 10 install no longer enable the SMB1 protocol by default.

After flashing RMerlin's firmware onto your router, did you then follow with a full reset to factory defaults and then minimally and manually configure the router to secure it and connect to your ISP? I would also recommend you use new SSID's and make sure they are at least 8 characters long and do not include any spaces, special characters or smilies. Make sure your passwords are also not using any special characters either.

Make sure you do not use a backup config file to restore your settings.

Make sure you are not simply inputting your 'normal' customizations into the new firmware (at least, not all at once). See if a totally reset router with default settings works as expected. Then, add each customization you think is required one at a time and testing as you go. I would recommend rebooting the router too and waiting at least 10 minutes after each addition, verifying that all previous customizations are continuing to work as expected.

If you did not do the full reset to factory defaults after flashing RMerlin firmware, your router is not in a good/known state. See the following link for the 'why'.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-nvram-and-factory-default-reset.22822/

To get your router in a good/known state, please follow the link in my signature to the M&M Config setup. The other links may also be helpful too.

Thanks for responding,

Yes to everything you have suggested. I did read a lot about Merlin's firmware before taking the plunge i have also read a number of your post too. I been using Asus routers for the past 8yrs so i pretty much know my way around the base FW. I promise you this i have followed every bit of information regards to using Merlin's FW. I hadn't used his work before now which is why i read a lot about it before making the move. Im sure Merlin will find something that will solve this problem.

P.S even tried re flashing M's FW and leaving everything at defaults but still this drive will not show. I have 3 Synology NAS drives with no problems plus 84 other devices connected to my network with no problem just this one drive.

Connected to ethernet and yes I can ping.

I thought you were talking about a USB disk here (that's why people were asking you to provide more details, as your first post is quite vague).

There is nothing at the router level that would prevent a network-connected device from functioning, unless there's a master browser issue on your network. In that case, accessing it by its URI should still solve your problem.

Access it by its URI. Asus still uses a prehistoric version of Samba that supports SMB1 + Network Neighbourhood discovery. My firmware upgraded to a Samba version from the Middle Age, which adds SMB2 support, however the SMB2 protocol no longer supports network neighbourhood discovery.

You can either access it by its URI, or revert the router to only support SMB1. We aware however that SMB1 is considered unsafe to use these days, and has been phased out by Microsoft these past few years. New Windows 10 install no longer enable the SMB1 protocol by default.

Hey Merlin.

URI? DO you mean the URL?

Come to think of this you might be right about the Master Browser problem.

FTR... When having a master Browser problem in the past with NAS (synology) i was still able to connect using \\DeviceName but with the Corsair drive i cant even access it via that.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!