What's new

CPG310, ssg5 or ???

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

amacks

New Around Here
I need to replace the firewal/router at our small office with something that can handle wireless properly. The catch is that we have 5 external IP addresses, and we use 2 of them currently (one for NATed clients, one for a webserver in a DMZ). The external connection isn't that fast (15mbit), but I'm having trouble finding a reliable firewall than can handle the multiple IP addresses, it's not usually a feature they tout.

I've used Junipers in the past, and although they are expensive, I know them and they've worked well, so the SSG5 is the expensive option. The CPG310 seems to do what I want at a much lower cost, although gigE would be nice, it's not a dealbreaker. For wireless draft-N would be nice, but G should be enough of an upgrade over current B to be good enough.

So what else should I consider that can handle multiple external IPs properly?

thanks
A

You're right that multiple WAN IPs are difficult to find in consumer-grade products. It doesn't help that manufacturers use different terms to describe the feature. One term commonly used is one-to-one NAT.

Anyway, the Linksys RV series support up to 10 one-to-one NAT mappings. See page 16 of the RV042 manual as an example. Add wireless by converting any wireless router to an AP and you're set.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!