What's new

CPU temp higher all of a sudden.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

133794m3r

Occasional Visitor
The past few days the CPU temp is sitting ~80*C for no reason. The CPU load reports to be less than 10%, the only thing I can think of is that maybe the crappy TIM they used has dried up and now the SOC is just sitting there cooking. The other question I have is do these SOCs support cpufreq or some similar dynamic clocking module because that could be another thing that's gotten stuck somehow. I'm running the latest version of merlin(because I thought it could be an issue with my older version) and it's still reporting high temps even though the AC is on and it's in the same spot it's always been.

There is no power management on ASUS routers so the CPU runs at full speed all the time. 80°C is not unheard of for ASUS routers. If you're concerned, get a cheap fan and let it blow at it to cool it down. I do the same for my R7800 when it gets hot in the summer

Is that on the AC87U? If so that is cool for that model, the heat sink is on the plastic casing :confused:

When I had an 87U it would show temps up to 98C . Placing it on a laptop cooler sorted the problem.

Are you running the new 884.13 alpha2 on a RT-AX88U? If so then you are right, Asus turned off CPU wait time in the latest build. You can try to turn it back on with this command:
Code:
pwr config --cpuwait on
But it might cause some issues since there was probably a reason Asus turned it off.

The house is a lot cooler today than the other day but here is what my RT-AC1900P tends to sit at and I am seeing no issues with the network.
2.4 GHz: 51°C - 5 GHz: 54°C - CPU: 78°C

The house is a lot cooler today than the other day but here is what my RT-AC1900P tends to sit at and I am seeing no issues with the network.
2.4 GHz: 51°C - 5 GHz: 54°C - CPU: 78°C
This is in normal range for 1900P.