1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

CPU temp higher all of a sudden.

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by 133794m3r, Jul 21, 2019.

1. 133794m3r

133794m3r Occasional Visitor

The past few days the CPU temp is sitting ~80*C for no reason. The CPU load reports to be less than 10%, the only thing I can think of is that maybe the crappy TIM they used has dried up and now the SOC is just sitting there cooking. The other question I have is do these SOCs support cpufreq or some similar dynamic clocking module because that could be another thing that's gotten stuck somehow. I'm running the latest version of merlin(because I thought it could be an issue with my older version) and it's still reporting high temps even though the AC is on and it's in the same spot it's always been.

2. microchip

microchip Very Senior Member

There is no power management on ASUS routers so the CPU runs at full speed all the time. 80°C is not unheard of for ASUS routers. If you're concerned, get a cheap fan and let it blow at it to cool it down. I do the same for my R7800 when it gets hot in the summer

3. AndreiV

AndreiV Very Senior Member

Is that on the AC87U? If so that is cool for that model, the heat sink is on the plastic casing :confused:

When I had an 87U it would show temps up to 98C . Placing it on a laptop cooler sorted the problem.

4. martinr

martinr Part of the Furniture

You didn’t say what the temperature was beforehand. Are you in the northern hemisphere and has the ambient temperature gone up in a heatwave?

5. Mutzli

Mutzli Senior Member

Are you running the new 884.13 alpha2 on a RT-AX88U? If so then you are right, Asus turned off CPU wait time in the latest build. You can try to turn it back on with this command:
    Code:
    pwr config --cpuwait on
    But it might cause some issues since there was probably a reason Asus turned it off.

6. Rob Q

Rob Q Regular Contributor

The house is a lot cooler today than the other day but here is what my RT-AC1900P tends to sit at and I am seeing no issues with the network.
    2.4 GHz: 51°C - 5 GHz: 54°C - CPU: 78°C

7. Grisu

Grisu Part of the Furniture

This is in normal range for 1900P.

scjr likes this.
  8. WuTang LAN

WuTang LAN Regular Contributor

Perfectly normal temps.

scjr likes this.
  9. Val D.

Val D. Senior Member

Flu season, probably. You could share with us at least the router model.

10. pitroy

pitroy New Around Here

With one usb fan 8cm (1$), my ac86u's temp drop from 78 to 56°C even when cpu fullload

11. unsynaps

unsynaps Senior Member

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  12. Val D.

Val D. Senior Member

I have a similar cooling solution on my RT-AC86U, DIY version with 2 x 70mm 12V fans running on 5V.

2.4GHz: 44C - 5GHz: 51C - CPU: 48C

Ambient room temp is 26C. Never seen any Radio/CPU temp going above 58C.
    Fans and the back of the router collect some dust though, need cleaning from time to time.