What's new

[CRITICAL] ASUS RT-AC5300 DEAD Failed Upgrade to 380.62_1

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tried the following today:
  1. Enable SSH in router settings
  2. Restarted router physically
  3. Logged in to router over SSH
  4. Erased nvram with mtd-erase2 nvram
  5. Flashed the router over SSH with latest merlin firmware, mtd-write2 /xxx.trx linux && reboot
After this, router came back on, fully flashed, however, after setting it up it still shows exactly the same symptoms as before... In other words, it is still not functioning.

Sounds like a dud, try to get it rma'ed
Maybe so. Still, I have used it for half a year and it has worked perfectly... It wasn't any issue until I flashed the most recent of Merlin's firmware... Just feels like there should be a way of fixing this without buying a new one or trying to get it RMA:ed.

On the other hand, I doubt they will accept an RMA when it's flashed with a non-official firmware.

Tried the following today:
  1. Enable SSH in router settings
  2. Restarted router physically
  3. Logged in to router over SSH
  4. Erased nvram with mtd-erase2 nvram
  5. Flashed the router over SSH with latest merlin firmware, mtd-write2 /xxx.trx linux && reboot
After this, router came back on, fully flashed, however, after setting it up it still shows exactly the same symptoms as before... In other words, it is still not functioning.

I would try avoiding flashing the router via SSH. Try flashing the router with official Asus firmware while in recovery mode instead. Have you tried using a LAN port other than number 1? With my RT-AC87U you must not use LAN port 1 as it is the RealTek switch. Not sure if that is the case with the RT-AC5300.

Good luck.

None of the suggestions in this topic worked, as I tried all of them before creating the topic.

Yesterday I took the decision to send it back to the company I bought it from, and they will continue with the RMA after that. Hopefully a replacement product isn't too far away.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Just so you know, I had no problem RMA'ing to Asus and they promptly sent me out a new shrink-wrapped replacement (68W). Impressive service...and I was using merlin as well. Mine bricked when I tried to just set the unit to factory defaults in prep for an upgrade...and that was the last I saw it. Good luck.

Last edited:
Just so you know, I had no problem RMA'ing to Asus and they promptly sent me out a new shrink-wrapped replacement (U68W). Impressive service...and I was using merlin as well. Mine bricked when I tried to just set the unit to factory defaults in prep for an upgrade...and that was the last I saw it. Good luck.
Thanks :) Yea I spoke with ASUS as well and it doesn't seem like a problem to get it replaced. Basically they told me that as long as there is no visible damage on the outside (like cracked plastic, broken LAN slots etc) it is covered by warranty no matter which custom firmware you flashed.

I was pretty impressed by that information. I'm not in any hurry though, as I already had another ASUS router that I could use for a quick replacement. It is not as good (RT-AC66U), but at least it works.

As long as flashing is still possible I would flash the latest stock firmware, verify whether the issue persists, reset to factory state and return it with a pure conscience. This way nobody can complain.
But it is good to know that Asus might accept returns with custom firmware on it.

As long as flashing is still possible I would flash the latest stock firmware, verify whether the issue persists, reset to factory state and return it with a pure conscience. This way nobody can complain.
But it is good to know that Asus might accept returns with custom firmware on it.
They do accept returns with custom firmware. No doubt.

Like you said though, before I returned it I flashed with the latest stock firmware and did a reset to factory defaults as well. :)

I'll correct the (order) of what you wrote. :)

As long as flashing is still possible I would flash the latest stock firmware, reset to factory state and then verify whether the issue still persists. If it still doesn't fix the issue, then return it.

There is nothing 'bad' about using a custom firmware on a router. Just like a PC where you can run any os you want (and legally), the only thing you should check for is if the hardware is faulty. And testing with the revised steps above does just that. ;)

Thanks for your effort to help, guys. Still no success in bringing the router back to life, though.

Can the router be returned under warranty if it has been flashed with a third party firmware such as Merlin's? I have put a second Asus RT-AC66U back in business to replace my RT-AC5300 but it is of course a big difference between the two.

I will spend a few more hours today to try to fix it, but if I am unsuccessful today again, I will probably buy a new one or return it to Asus and hope they can repair/exchange it with a new one.

Don't give up yet, have you tried setting it to WOMBO?

Also have you verified your power supply is not going bad?

This post is 6 months old, fairly sure that by now the poster either fixed it, or replaced it.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!