What's new

curious connection and how to link PID to port used

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cosmoxl

Proto Source Address Destination Address State
tcp 10.201.9.44:41837 184.28.188.137:80 ESTABLISHED

I'm consistently seeing this connection made, seen by using netstat-nat -nL

This is the router itself making the connection to an akamai server. I'm hoping somebody knows what this is for. It's quite disconcerting to think that the router is phoning "home" or something. Is it only a connection to TrendMicro?

Along these lines, how would I, with entware installed, find what process is creating that connection?

Are you sure it is from the router, not just nat translated by the router?
If so you might be able to find the real source device by looking in the connection tracking table

Code:
cat /proc/net/nf_conntrack | grep 184.28.188.137

Thanks. The command netstat-nat -nL shows connections to NAT, not SNAT or DNAT. In fact, 99% of the connections shown in this list are from my computer to the router for the web GUI.

Looking at the connection tracking table I found:

Code:
ipv4     2 tcp      6 359755 ESTABLISHED src=10.201.9.44 dst=184.28.188.137 sport=41837 dport=80 [UNREPLIED] src=184.28.188.137 dst=10.201.9.44 sport=80 dport=41837 mark=1 use=2

What is the real source device from looking at this?

sorry that table is clearly the same info as netstat and better presented in the asuswrt web gui. So if the src address is your router maybe your suspicions confirmed it is the router phoning home?

thanks again. Yes, I'd like to hear from others on what this is and if they're having the same connection made.

Does you router really have such a weird IP as 10.201.9.44?

Does you router really have such a weird IP as 10.201.9.44?

that is my internal IP from a VPN provider. the router made the connection while connected to that VPN.

what concerned me about this connection was that it seemed to be permanent. however, further testing shows that the connection is not shown in netstat-nat -L while connected to other VPN or when not connected to any VPN. but, it's still shown in the conntrack table.

I don't know what it all means.

that is my internal IP from a VPN provider. the router made the connection while connected to that VPN.

what concerned me about this connection was that it seemed to be permanent. however, further testing shows that the connection is not shown in netstat-nat -L while connected to other VPN or when not connected to any VPN. but, it's still shown in the conntrack table.

I don't know what it all means.

In that case the connection can come from any client on your LAN. You are using a VPN tunnel, so that means the traffic gets routed through that tunnel. I would recommend checking your clients to determine which one is connecting to that web server (port 80 is a website).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!