What's new

Custom firmware build for Orbi RBK50/RBK53 (RBR50, RBS50) v. 9.2.5.1.12.1SF-HW

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I installed this firmware on RBk53 both on my router and satellite. After working for hour or so, it started dropping connections. Tried to reset it and whole thing went kaput with static Ethernet connection or WiFi not working.

Had to use TFTP to restore back to original. Works now.

I installed this firmware on RBk53 both on my router and satellite. After working for hour or so, it started dropping connections. Tried to reset it and whole thing went kaput with static Ethernet connection or WiFi not working.

Usually dropping connection could be if to separate SSID for 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wi-Fi. Also problematic could be if someone has flashed firmware from the old version of the stock firmware. There should be intermediate flashing. It is not my design, the same is noted e.g. in Release Notes for stock 2.5.1.8:

https://kb.netgear.com/000061530/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-5-1-8

I do not have problems with Orbi Wi-Fi using my build. My environment and distance RBR/RBS is rather hard for this system: different steel concrete floors, two walls (bricks).

Voxel.

Another thing to try is to factory reset the RBR and RBS after applying a FW update. If issues are seen after a FW upate, then a reset should be performed.
Other factors can contribute to bad operation of the Orbi system.

Usually dropping connection could be if to separate SSID for 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wi-Fi. Also problematic could be if someone has flashed firmware from the old version of the stock firmware. There should be intermediate flashing. It is not my design, the same is noted e.g. in Release Notes for stock 2.5.1.8:

https://kb.netgear.com/000061530/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-5-1-8

I do not have problems with Orbi Wi-Fi using my build. My environment and distance RBR/RBS is rather hard for this system: different steel concrete floors, two walls (bricks).

Voxel.

You guessed it right. I had 2 separate SSID’s for different bands. And it went kaput and I thought I bricked it.

TFTP came to rescue and had to hold the reset button and then steer to put it into recovery mode.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!