What's new

Custom firmware build for Orbi RBK50/RBK53 (RBR50, RBS50) v. 9.2.5.1.12SF-HW

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Voxel

Part of the Furniture
Continuation of

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-orbi-rbk50-v-2-5-0-42sf-hw.60308/
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...50-rbk53-rbr50-rbs50-v-9-2-5-0-43sf-hw.60634/
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...k50-rbk53-rbr50-rbs50-v-9-2-5-1-9sf-hw.60727/
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...50-rbk53-rbr50-rbs50-v-9-2-5-1-11sf-hw.61541/

New version of my custom firmware build: 9.2.5.1.12SF-HW.

Changes (vs 9.2.5.1.11SF-HW):

1. OpenVPN client support is added (see QuickStart.txt).
2. Option in nvram to disable samba start is added.
3. hotplug2 package is changed to support copying WireGuard/OpenVPN client configs from USB flash drive.
4. wireguard package is upgraded 0.0.20200128->0.0.20200215.
5. wireguard-tools package is upgraded 1.0.20200121->1.0.20200206.
6. DNSCrypt Proxy v.2 is upgraded 2.0.38->2.0.39.
7. util-linux package is upgraded 2.35->2.35.1.
8. lighttpd package is upgraded 1.4.54->1.4.55.
9. libusb package is upgraded 1.0.22->1.0.23.
10. libusb-compat package is upgraded 0.1.5->0.1.7.
11. usb-modeswitch data is updated 20170806->20191128.
12. sysstat package is upgraded 11.0.4->12.2.1.
13. iw package is upgraded 5.3->5.4.
14. fdisk utility is added.
15. resize2fs utility is addded.
16. Host tools (quilt): is upgraded to 0.66.
17. Host tools (gmp): is upgraded to 6.2.0.
18. Host tools (sed): is upgraded to 4.8.
19. Host tools (bison): is upgraded to 3.5.1.

The link is:

https://www.voxel-firmware.com (thanks to vladlenas for his help with hosting).

Voxel.

Just updated mine in AP mode. No issues. Good stuff. Thank you.

Hi, Great firmware! Appreciate the effort.
Quick question. Does the satellite need updating? as that's still on the original firmware.
Thanks

Hi, Great firmware! Appreciate the effort.
Quick question. Does the satellite need updating? as that's still on the original firmware.
Thanks
it's my understanding that you should update the satellite's first and then the router

it's my understanding that you should update the satellite's first and then the router

Oh no I've done the router first.
Also on the official firmware it did it by itself. How do I login to the satellite to update it?

Thanks

If the RBS still connects, log in to its web page at the IP address it gets from the RBR.
If it doesn't connect, do the following, Factory reset the RBS with a 15 second button press in back then release. Connect a wired PC to the back of the RBS. Wait about 5 minute. The PC will get a IP address from the satellite. The IP address of the satellite will be 192.168.1.250. Use this IP address in a web browser to log in to the satellites web page. Log in as admin and password. Use the satellites web page FW update feature to select the FW update file that was unpacked from the .zip file. Do this for both satellites if you have more then one RBS. Then factory reset and then re-sync the satellites to the RBR.
Oh no I've done the router first.
Also on the official firmware it did it by itself. How do I login to the satellite to update it?

Thanks

If the RBS still connects, log in to its web page at the IP address it gets from the RBR.
If it doesn't connect, do the following, Factory reset the RBS with a 15 second button press in back then release. Connect a wired PC to the back of the RBS. Wait about 5 minute. The PC will get a IP address from the satellite. The IP address of the satellite will be 192.168.1.250. Use this IP address in a web browser to log in to the satellites web page. Log in as admin and password. Use the satellites web page FW update feature to select the FW update file that was unpacked from the .zip file. Do this for both satellites if you have more then one RBS. Then factory reset and then re-sync the satellites to the RBR.

Thanks! I shall try now :)

:rolleyes:

Update to 9.2.5.1.12SF-HW went smoothly. I had left my satellite with stock firmware and decided "now's the time" to move it to Voxel as well.
Although the satellite firmware update went smoothly, and the unit appears to work well, I am confused about one aspect:

The satellite "Connected Devices" shows the name of each device as "Unknown" rather than the name shown by the router. I had thought the firmware update was equivalent to a reset, but maybe not. So I power cycled the satellite. Same thing. Then, I did a "Factory Reset" on the satellite. Same thing. Devices are "Unknown."

Is this "just the way it is"? Has it always been this way and I just never noticed? Or, have I somehow messed things up? (I know that the name displayed for devices is not critical, but I am puzzled.)

Thanks

I presume this wasn't the case with stock FW?
Update to 9.2.5.1.12SF-HW went smoothly. I had left my satellite with stock firmware and decided "now's the time" to move it to Voxel as well.
Although the satellite firmware update went smoothly, and the unit appears to work well, I am confused about one aspect:

The satellite "Connected Devices" shows the name of each device as "Unknown" rather than the name shown by the router. I had thought the firmware update was equivalent to a reset, but maybe not. So I power cycled the satellite. Same thing. Then, I did a "Factory Reset" on the satellite. Same thing. Devices are "Unknown."

Is this "just the way it is"? Has it always been this way and I just never noticed? Or, have I somehow messed things up? (I know that the name displayed for devices is not critical, but I am puzzled.)

Thanks

Thanks

Hi I've updated both router and satellite thanks to the instructions above. Which went smoothly.
The devices on mine show as they should by name so and on stock they did too.

I presume this wasn't the case with stock FW?

It has been so long since I looked at the Connected Devices on the satellite that I honestly cannot remember. I will reboot the router. That's fast, simple, and doesn't require reentering device configurations!

Thank you for confirming it is likely something I did (or failed to do).

It has been so long since I looked at the Connected Devices on the satellite that I honestly cannot remember. I will reboot the router. That's fast, simple, and doesn't require reentering device configurations!

my satellite behaves the same way. the name is "Unknown" so i usually just identify them by the internal IP address, which i have set statically for most of my devices

Not sure if you can help with this issue. With the RBR50 unit it seems maxed at 500ish mbps. I have gigabit service here and both my Frontier router and my tplink AX1500 router can hit 1gig/1gig. The Orbi unit can only do 500mbps/1gig. Appears to be locked at 500. This is hardwired to the router itself. I gave confirmed that without any router I get the 1/1gig service.

This happens with both netgear and your firmware. All versions.

Thamks
James

Well, I rebooted the router and the situation persists. Satellite identified every device as "Unknown". My next step, when I can get some "alone time" with the Orbi, will be to save the config, "Factory Refresh", reload the config, and try again. I would much prefer that every user reported the same experience: either names matching the router, or "Unknown". Some of us one way. Some the other is unsettling.

Does the satellite need updating? as that's still on the original firmware.
It is better to update satellite as well. Reason: as I wrote in the very first notes for Orbi fw release: I succeed to provide hardware acceleration of OpenSSL (not so in the stock firmware) and as I suppose it is used for router<-->satellite connection (should be faster). But of course it is not obligatory. So you may leave your satellite with stock fw...

Voxel.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!