What's new

Voxel Custom firmware build for Orbi RBK50/RBK53 (RBR50, RBS50) v. 9.2.5.1.13.1SF-HW

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Some suggestions or requests to see if Voxel can add support for this in Orbi FW?

1. Any chance of having telnet always enabled? Kind of helps to have it enabled when working in telnet and doing multiple reboots and having to always re-enable it after the RBR reboots each time currently. Something like this be of any use?
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/orbi-PERMANENTLY-ENABLE-TELNET/m-p/1837546#M78419

2. Do these work in Voxels FW and is there a way to make the outcome persist?
For the 2.4Ghz band use:
config set endis_wl_radio=0
ifconfig $(config get wl2g_NORMAL_AP) down
For the 5Ghz band use:
config set endis_wla_radio=0
ifconfig $(config get wl5g_NORMAL_AP) down
For the guest 2.4Ghz band use
config set wlg1_endis_guestNet=0
ifconfig $(config get wl2g_NORMAL_AP) down
For the guest 5Ghz band use
config set wla1_endis_guestNet=0
ifconfig $(config get wl5g_GUEST_AP) down
For the 5Ghz backhaul use:
config set endis_wla_2nd_radio=0
config get wl5g_BACKHAUL_AP
ifconfig $(config get wl5g_BACKHAUL_AP) down
nvram commit
I have tried this on Voxels FW and it works, however the radio come back ON after the RBR is rebooted. Maybe there is a different method?

3. Change DNS from 192.168.1.1 seen on connected clients to a custom DNS.
I had seen this a while back and wondered if it would work on Orbi FW:
1. Enable telnet for router
2. Telnet into the router
3. change to /etc/init.d
4. vi net-lan
5. jump to print_dhcpd_conf()
6. replace the line "option dns $($CONFIG get lan_ipaddr)" with "option dns aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd", where aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd is your preferred DNS server, you can create up to 3 entries.
7. Save and reboot the router: nvram commit then reboot.
This something that could work on Voxel FW? Thought I would ask.

Thank you for your considerations Voxel.

I'm a newbie here (but technical), I'm highly interested in this FW update.
Can this be done through the normal stock GUI in the Orbi Addmin to flash/upgrade to this FW or do I need to do anything else?

Last edited:
Download Voxels FW file and unpack and load the RBS first the the RBR lastly using the admin UI pages for each. Same as manually loading stock FW back.
I'm a newbie here (but technical), I'm highly interested in this FW update.
Can this be done through the normal stock GUI in the Orbi Add-min to flash/upgrade to this FW or do I need to do anything else?

1. Any chance of having telnet always enabled?
I do not think that always enabled telnet is needed. Orbi has ssh enabled all the time. And ssh is more preferable vs telnet because of it is secure encrypted protocol. Try to use with your Orbi and putty. I.e. enter to Orbi not by telnet but by ssh choosing ssh in putty.

2. Do these work in Voxels FW and is there a way to make the outcome persist?
I have tried this on Voxels FW and it works, however the radio come back ON after the RBR is rebooted.

There is possibility to run the custom script from USB. E.g. adding it to /mnt/sda1/autorun/scripts/post-mount.sh Or adding your startup script to Entware' /opt/etc/init.d And other ways such as modification of /etc/rc.local with help of Overlay on USB...

3. Change DNS from 192.168.1.1 seen on connected clients to a custom DNS.
I had seen this a while back and wondered if it would work on Orbi FW:
1. Enable telnet for router
2. Telnet into the router
3. change to /etc/init.d
4. vi net-lan
5. jump to print_dhcpd_conf()
6. replace the line "option dns $($CONFIG get lan_ipaddr)" with "option dns aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd", where aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd is your preferred DNS server, you can create up to 3 entries.
7. Save and reboot the router: nvram commit then reboot.
This something that could work on Voxel FW? Thought I would ask.
The same scheme with "overlay" on USB could be used. For any custom changes of files in firmware
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...g-to-install-entware.62965/page-3#post-567571

You should start to study Linux more deeply... I've already added practically unlimited possibilities for customization to Orbi.

Voxel.

Ok will look in to this. I do understand Linux. Just wondering what all is and isn't supported on your FW. Also somethings that maybe could be added to FW as default vs user customization. Yes I'm aware of FW size constraints as well.

I'll check out the script profile and go from there.
Thank you.

Is there any documentation around building images if I wanted to make my own changes? I'm excited about the USB hooks you've setup, as it will take care of anything I truly need, but I'm really curious.

I'm hoping to enable VLANs, and try to get some sort of dual WAN configuration. All from the command line with iptables and policy routing, but I'm not sure how the Netgear watchdogs and configuration processes are going to affect me.

Just wondering what all is and isn't supported on your FW. Also somethings that maybe could be added to FW as default vs user customization. Yes I'm aware of FW size constraints as well.
I am open for any remarks and suggestions (to be added into FW). I am just not sure that most of users need such changes. E.g. adding nano: no problems. Change "Attached Device" page: yes, it is good. Would be usefuls.

Your suggestions: could be done right now with some manual manipulations... But I've to think them over in deep.

Voxel.

Is there any documentation around building images if I wanted to make my own changes? I'm excited about the USB hooks you've setup, as it will take care of anything I truly need, but I'm really curious.

I'm hoping to enable VLANs, and try to get some sort of dual WAN configuration. All from the command line with iptables and policy routing, but I'm not sure how the Netgear watchdogs and configuration processes are going to affect me.

Do not quite understand what you want. Brief description how to make own changes are described in my QuickStart.txt (in ZIP with images). Your own changes: it is "2. Overlay partition on USB." Your own iptables rules are in "5. Open your own firewall ports." Or you want to know how I implemented all this (hooks)?

Voxel.

Do not quite understand what you want. Brief description how to make own changes are described in my QuickStart.txt (in ZIP with images). Your own changes: it is "2. Overlay partition on USB." Your own iptables rules are in "5. Open your own firewall ports." Or you want to know how I implemented all this (hooks)?

Voxel.

I was interested in documentation, a howto or quickstart guide for packing my own images. But don't worry, the USB overlay support enables virtually limitless customization.

I understand that as well. Looking for a easy end user experience as well is what I'm considering too. It's easier for some users to use telnet and not SSH. SSH involves extra steps to get working when telnet non SSH just needs to be enabled. Having the ability to have telnet enabled all the time for some would have some ease of use for some users that may not want to use SSH or get it configured, especially when doing multiple reboots. I understand that once SSH is setup then your gold.

The disabling of the wifi radios maybe a more pointed as a troubleshooting thing as well and not necessarily a normal use thing. Would be handy if users just had a check box in a UI to disable or enable the radios has needed. One thing for advanced users and geeks, working with the router, it's nice to have the wifi radios OFF while working with router as some may already have other wifi routers running and want to keep the noise from something that the wifi isn't being used while doing things with the wired or FW section of the router. Something we can do on R series routers. ;)

DNS would be handy to have for users who wish to use custom DNS and have it pass to there devices and be seen as such.

Just ideas up for consideration and as time permits.

I'll start looking into SSH info now.

Thank you for your time.

I am open for any remarks and suggestions (to be added into FW). I am just not sure that most of users need such changes. E.g. adding nano: no problems. Change "Attached Device" page: yes, it is good. Would be usefuls.

Your suggestions: could be done right now with some manual manipulations... But I've to think them over in deep.

Voxel.

It's easier for some users to use telnet and not SSH. SSH involves extra steps to get working when telnet non SSH just needs to be enabled. Having the ability to have telnet enabled all the time for some would have some ease of use for some users that may not want to use SSH or get it configured, especially when doing multiple reboots. I understand that once SSH is setup then your gold.
You are mistaken. SSH for Orbi is working w/o any additional manipulations or reboots. In case of Orbi exactly use of telnet requires additional manipulations (enable in debug page) but SSH just works immediately after flashing my build.

P.S. It is for Orbi. For R7800/R9000/R8900 it is more complex.

Voxel.

The disabling of the wifi radios maybe a more pointed as a troubleshooting thing as well and not necessarily a normal use thing. Would be handy if users just had a check box in a UI to disable or enable the radios has needed. One thing for advanced users and geeks, working with the router, it's nice to have the wifi radios OFF while working with router as some may already have other wifi routers running and want to keep the noise from something that the wifi isn't being used while doing things with the wired or FW section of the router. Something we can do on R series routers. ;)

DNS would be handy to have for users who wish to use custom DNS and have it pass to there devices and be seen as such.

Just ideas up for consideration and as time permits.
I recognized your request ;). Thinking over.

Voxel.

As always thank you for your time and considerations. ;)

So If I open up putty or teraterm set port 22 and SSH I should be able to log into SSH using admin and pw?

You are mistaken. SSH for Orbi is working w/o any additional manipulations or reboots. In case of Orbi exactly use of telnet requires additional manipulations (enable in debug page) but SSH just works immediately after flashing my build.

P.S. It is for Orbi. For R7800/R9000/R8900 it is more complex.

Voxel.

So If I open up putty or teraterm set port 22 and SSH I should be able to log into SSH using admin and pw?
Not admin but root. Password is the same as in your WebGUI.

Usually in putty you should set "Host Name (or IP address)" as (example):

root@192.168.1.1

port: 22

Connection type: (*) SSH

save this as e.g. "My Orbi RBR" (or e.g. "My Orbi RBS" for root@192.168.1.250)

and connect. Password as I said above equals to WebGUI.

Voxel.

Got it...updating my readme notes. Thank you Sir.

QQ - are folks running dirty flashes, or factory resetting?
(when coming from stock)

Last edited:
From stock, I would hope a factory reset is performed to enable/apply the new defaults and other microcode improvements. :)

I have not factory reset this version or last one, prior, it was causing the unit to soft brick, required TFTP to stock
That’s what I just got. Although having some difficulties with TFTP.
Any tip other than following these instructions?
https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-client

I end up getting 4 replies to pings right after turning it on. Then goes dead. Tried running the PUT command as soon as I get a response but no luck.

EDIT: got it. Found another thread that says there is a “hard reset”. Hold reset down for 30 seconds, keep holding down and pull power, plug back in and continue to hold for 30 seconds. Light on back turns red, then was pingable and could TFTP.

Phew. My wife may not kill me after all lol.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!