What's new

Custom firmware build for Orbi RBK50/RBK53 (RBR50, RBS50) v. 9.2.5.1.17SF-HW

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Do you only flash the router or the satellites too? What about the plug-in satellite

Routers and satellites (there is a different firmware file for each in the zip.)

You do not flash plug-ins, but they will continue to work with the mesh.

I am fortunate to have a backup RBR50 so if I brick something I can swap out for the factory one.

No hard brick as you can always flash stock back on via TFTP. Do NOT factory reset on Voxel though as it will soft brick and you'll need to flash stock again to recover.

would it be better to run on v2 rbr50 or v1?

No difference.

what features does it add? I would really like to monitor bandwidth per device. Thanks

It has updated drivers and libraries and optimized configuration.

It does not monitor bandwidth by device.

It does offer ENTWARE which can allow you to load additional packages which can add functionality, but that is not one that I've seen.

Last edited:
They each have 4 ports on the back, in the router one is just defined as the WAN port. Otherwise, from a cursory look at the tear down of each side by side, they appear to have the same chip sets. Just to clarify, this is not a "would be great" wish list, this is something actually working that many people are using. That's how I found out about it. The fact that there already existed a workable solution that was fully documented made it an easier path for potential integration.

Router: https://fccid.io/PY316200341/Internal-Photos/Internal-Photos-rev-3108554
Satellite: https://fccid.io/PY316200341/Internal-Photos/Internal-Photos-rev-3108554

dvy0tu4.png

You can do this today without a firmware change by unplugging an existing satellite, adding the new one and then plugging the old satellite back in again. As long as there is not 3 online and active at the time of adding a new satellite it will work and will retain the satellites without issue. More on that here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Bu...es/Maximum-Satellites-5-Working/cns-p/1662231
I am most amazed that the satellite is exactly a router... maybe this is why its so expensive. I thought the satellites just amplifi the signal.

Looks like Netgear chose to make each satellite a router in its own self and use the backhaul as a "WAN port". Either way, if its going to give solid and trouble free experience I am all for it. I rather pay for quality.

just stumbled in here from reddit. this is great and i will definately flash it. i would like some advice though. I am fortunate to have a backup RBR50 so if I brick something I can swap out for the factory one. Does it only flash the router fw or the satellites too? What about the plug-in satellite?

For whatever reason, maybe onboard memory size?, would it be better to run on v2 rbr50 or v1?

What features does it add? I would really like to monitor bandwidth per device. Thanks

I am not sure what new features it adds as the firmware looks exactly like the stock firmware. The reason I updated because I was having disappointing experience with stock firmware and with Voxel I can describe it as "rock solid". Think of it like the stock firmware tweaked and optimized to its best.

Albeit other users here say performance was pleasing even with stock firmware.

If you want to factory reset, install stock firmware on all devices, reset to factory, then flash Voxel in Satellites first then router. This was what I understood, didnt test it.

Voxels FW only supports the 50 series RBR and RBS. I presume v2 as well, however not sure.
Always better to have more memory.
One can install Entware and Netdata to have a nice look at the system operations:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/bandwidth-monitoring-on-orbi.63561/#post-586720

just stumbled in here from reddit. this is great and i will definately flash it. i would like some advice though. I am fortunate to have a backup RBR50 so if I brick something I can swap out for the factory one. Does it only flash the router fw or the satellites too? What about the plug-in satellite?

For whatever reason, maybe onboard memory size?, would it be better to run on v2 rbr50 or v1?

What features does it add? I would really like to monitor bandwidth per device. Thanks

Can someone explain to me what is the SAMBA server? because if I don't use it I might as well disable it.

I don't know what it is but I think it has to do with attaching a hard drive to the router to access files

Can someone explain to me what is the SAMBA server? because if I don't use it I might as well disable it.

I don't know what it is but I think it has to do with attaching a hard drive to the router to access files

For legacy RBR50 with USB ports ,the ability to share out an attached USB drive/External drive to your LAN.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!