What's new

Voxel Custom firmware build for Orbi RBK50/RBK53 (RBR50, RBS50) v. 9.2.5.1.33SF-HW & v. 9.2.5.1.34SF-HW

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Just curious, do you mean you are on Netgear or Voxel firmware as the latest Voxel is stable for me?

I am on Voxel 9.2.5.1.19

History:
Voxel 9.2.5.1.19: Worked Great
Netgear 2.5.1.32: Initially seemed okay
Voxel 9.2.5.1.33: Voxel was pretty quick at releasing this version. Initially seemed okay, but ended up with performance issues.
Voxel 9.2.5.1.19: Rolled back to this version due to performance issues.
Voxel 9.2.5.1.34: Voxel noticed similar issues and resolved issues. Seemed to work okay for a while, but then I noticed speed test drops. Hard to determine if this was really firmware or other factors.
Netgear 2.5.2.4: Initially seemed okay, but ended up with performance issues.
Voxel 9.2.5.1.19: Current state. So far so good.

YMMV

I am eagerly waiting for Voxel's version of 2.5.2.4. His updates have a tendency to work out the wrinkles.

Hey all

I have been trying to install this firmware for quite some time now :/
Each time I have the same issue... all WiFi connected devices cannot access the internet, all ethernet devices work fine
In the internet browser I get a message saying that this website is not secure ("this is not a private connection"), and that the certificate "routerlogin.net" is not valid
I use only the Orbi in AP mode, so no router, no custom DNS, no circle or anything...

This time I connected a computer in WiFi and did a ping to google.com to see what happens, the DNS resolved to the local PI of my Orbi router (192.1.68.1.100)
I could resolve the issue by forcing the DNS on all WiFi connected devices to my ISP's router or google DNS (8.8.8.8)

Here is what I did :
  • Factory reset using rear reset button, and Complete re-setup from latest official NG firmware, everything works great
  • Full power down of all devices, just in case...
  • Installation of Voxel's latest firmware Satellites then Router
  • Waited for full reboot and settle down (everything is green)
  • Rebooted my ISP router
  • Forgot wifi network on iPhone and iPad, reselected it
  • Confirmed the issue was there
  • Changed DNS on some devices, issue gone...
If anyone has a suggestion I'd appreciate it !
Thanks

if everything works great why change to voxel?
it works for all of us so something must be wrong on your end. This firmware works with RBK50 ONLY ,, do you have rbk20 or AX?

Each time I have the same issue... all WiFi connected devices cannot access the internet, all ethernet devices work fine
In the internet browser I get a message saying that this website is not secure ("this is not a private connection"), and that the certificate "routerlogin.net" is not valid
I use only the Orbi in AP mode

seems similar to the issue in https://www.snbforums.com/threads/issue-with-dns-with-r7800-as-access-point.64694/
It also contains a link to a workaround on some other site.

if I look on my R7800, in /sbin/cmd_ebtables, I see this code:
Code:
start() {
        if [ "$($CONFIG get ap_mode)" = 1 -o "$($CONFIG get bridge_mode)" = 1 ]; then
                if [ "$($CONFIG get ParentalControl)" = "0" ]; then
                        # Parental Control disable: only redirect the URLs, such as www.routerlogin.net ..., up to layer 3
                        ebtables -t broute -A BROUTING -p ipv4 --ip-protocol UDP --ip-destination-port 53 --ip-dns-hijack -j redirect --redirect-target ACCEPT
                        ebtables -t broute -A BROUTING -p ipv6 --ip6-protocol UDP --ip6-destination-port 53 --ip6-dns-hijack -j redirect --redirect-target ACCEPT
                else
                        # Parental Control enable: redirect all DNS packet up to layer 3
                        ebtables -t broute -A BROUTING -p ipv4 --ip-protocol UDP --ip-destination-port 53 -j redirect --redirect-target ACCEPT
                        ebtables -t broute -A BROUTING -p ipv6 --ip6-protocol UDP --ip6-destination-port 53 -j redirect --redirect-target ACCEPT
                fi
        fi
}

so what does nvram get ParentalControl give on your AP ?

so what does nvram get ParentalControl give on your AP ?

There you go :
Code:
root@RBR50:/# nvram get ParentalControl
nvram get ParentalControl

Please note that I am back to NG's default firmware... but I guess it should not be touching this right ?

Hi everyone,
Just curious, I was wondering if I would be able to use a USB LTE dongle with Orbi by using this firmware. Has anyone tried this before?

I am on Voxel 9.2.5.1.19

History:
Voxel 9.2.5.1.19: Worked Great
Netgear 2.5.1.32: Initially seemed okay
Voxel 9.2.5.1.33: Voxel was pretty quick at releasing this version. Initially seemed okay, but ended up with performance issues.
Voxel 9.2.5.1.19: Rolled back to this version due to performance issues.
Voxel 9.2.5.1.34: Voxel noticed similar issues and resolved issues. Seemed to work okay for a while, but then I noticed speed test drops. Hard to determine if this was really firmware or other factors.
Netgear 2.5.2.4: Initially seemed okay, but ended up with performance issues.
Voxel 9.2.5.1.19: Current state. So far so good.

YMMV

I am eagerly waiting for Voxel's version of 2.5.2.4. His updates have a tendency to work out the wrinkles.

I have the same experience - .33 and .34 have a weird and giant performance issue on the 5Ghz network now and then - makes all kind of game streaming unusable. I'm back on .19 too.

Edit: It was the current release of ChromeOS. The firmware is fine, all versions. Sorry.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
Just curious, I was wondering if I would be able to use a USB LTE dongle with Orbi by using this firmware. Has anyone tried this before?
if it works on stock it should work on voxel. my guess is if you can find a USB to ethernet adapter and connect it in the back of the orbi in the internet/wan port it should work

I have the same experience - .33 and .34 have a weird and giant performance issue on the 5Ghz network now and then - makes all kind of game streaming unusable. I'm back on .19 too.
is this related to voxel or even stock firmware?

It does indeed !! Thanks for your answer, that's useful !
Funny thing is that the guy having the similar issue also uses the same ISP as I do from Orange

What I don't understand is why it happens with Voxel and not stock firmware...
Let me look at that post in detail

so you have dns hijack set to 1?
why are you only who has this?

I had one hiccup with while on .19, but I am fairly convinced that was my network and/or ISP as my internal cameras worked, but external in
It was my Chromebook. All is good on all the last firmwares. Sorry!

I was also playing with the network adapter settings on my laptop. I have set it to "favor 5Ghz". I have a feeling prior it might have been flipping between N and AC bands resulting in my un"favor"able experience.

My experience has been really solid since. I may go back to 2.5.2.4 now and see how that does.

if it works on stock it should work on voxel.

It does not work on stock. It does work on Voxel.

I am using USB LTE modem. The only limitation that it should be in RNDIS/CDC mode i.e. something like USB Ethernet card. I am using Huawei in so called HiLink mode (RNDIS/CDC). You should NOT attach you cable to WAN port and insert your USB LTE into USB and reboot your RBR. My speed is about 110/40Mbps. And it is better to use active USB hub.

Voxel.

Is there a chance you can make firmware image for Orbi Pro devices ? I have Orbi Pro router and satellite and could test image on them, I am sure many would appreciate
Sorry but I have no such plans...

Voxel.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!