What's new

Voxel Custom firmware build for Orbi RBK50/RBK53 (RBR50, RBS50) v. 9.2.5.1.33SF-HW & v. 9.2.5.1.34SF-HW

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

This is right on par for Netgear and has been for the last few years. Stay far away from there products. Great hardware completely killed by horrible out dated software and no desire to make it better. No Thanks...

WPS has been insecure for years. Not a possibility, a fact.

WPS can be completely shut down.

Which is presumably a configuration option which can be set via telnet or a modified config file so that at least Voxel is not leaking this.

In my testing I was unable to connect without pushing the button on the router so will need to wait for others testing results to see if this is an actual issue or if OP is misunderstanding what they are seeing.

Last edited:
9.2.5.1.34 thus far is a winner for me. It could be coincidental, but I am seeing slightly faster speed tests too. Probably close enough to be within degrees of error; but slightly higher nonetheless. Streaming services performed flawlessly from 1080P content to 4K.

I am working from home. Today is the first work day ... I have a few online meetings. After all is said and done, for me, today will be the real test. If folks have problems hearing me, seeing what I am presenting, etc ... I'll drop back down to .19. With the weekends performance however, I am not anticipating that - fingers crossed.

Edit:

I had no issues today at work with .34. It will be my daily driver as the expression goes. Voxel ... amazing!

Last edited:
Hello,

I updated successfully the 2 satellite but the router doesn't restart (Slow white blinking).
Initial setup was last Netgear firmware 2.5.1.16, configured in AP mode and not using default subnet. The "router" doesn't even seem to request any ip from the Main router.

Any suggestion out of trying to apply Official firmware and try again ?

Thanks

Hello,

I updated successfully the 2 satellite but the router doesn't restart (Slow white blinking).
Initial setup was last Netgear firmware 2.5.1.16, configured in AP mode and not using default subnet. The "router" doesn't even seem to request any ip from the Main router.

Any suggestion out of trying to apply Official firmware and try again ?

Thanks

Did you factory reset after the update?

If powering it off and back on does not fix it, TFTP stock firmware back on and try the update again.

I didn't.
On/Off didn't work. Struggled till now to TFTP (MacOS GUI was failing mid-way).
The second time I just updated the reset stock firmware and it worked. No idea why it failed, just for the router the first time.

I would get to stock and factory reset, perhaps it failed from a corrupt configuration.. good way to get back to a good state if you wish to try again.

This is right on par for Netgear and has been for the last few years. Stay far away from there products. Great hardware completely killed by horrible out dated software and no desire to make it better. No Thanks...
The hunt for the right router is a very hectic one one, for every advantage you find in another router there is a disadvantage

Is this 34SF the same as the 34SF that was being tested around the 25th? If it's not, is it fine to go from beta 34SF to this new 34SF?

Wow. I purchased an RBR50 and 2 RBS50 from woot a few months ago and regretted the purchase. Orbi stock had dropped connections, poor speeds, basically unusable.

This firmware has turned garbage into gold. Now my only concern is what happens if Voxel gets bored with supporting this and quits.

Donation sent.

Wow. I purchased an RBR50 and 2 RBS50 from woot a few months ago and regretted the purchase. Orbi stock had dropped connections, poor speeds, basically unusable.

This firmware has turned garbage into gold. Now my only concern is what happens if Voxel gets bored with supporting this and quits.

Donation sent.

We've already asked him to keep us in the loop when he buys a new router. I imagine we will all switch to the same router ;)

Donation sent.
my exact experience...

Funny, my RBK50 doesn't experience this. Using v16 stock FW:

\

Donation sent.

Apparently NETGEAR is pushing out 2.5.2.4. Not available for download via any link yet. The common thread appears to be that folks that were on 2.5.1.32 seemed to get it. FYI

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!