What's new

Voxel Custom firmware build for Orbi RBK50/RBK53 (RBR50, RBS50) v. 9.2.5.2.10SF-HW

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mine is not accepting the WebGUI password not over SSH or Telnet. It says
" Permission denied (publickey,password)."

I tried every password I have input in that device ever. I did tick the enaable telnet in debug.htm no use.

You're able to log into the Web Admin ok with a user ID and password, but not SSH using the same credentials?

Which SSH client are you using?

What do you see specifically? Which message / error?

Mine is not accepting the WebGUI password not over SSH or Telnet. It says
" Permission denied (publickey,password)."

I tried every password I have input in that device ever. I did tick the enaable telnet in debug.htm no use.
Try to change temporary your WebGUI password to simplest one, something like 'Abc123'.

You can return it back after manipulations with telnet/ssh.

Voxel.

You're able to log into the Web Admin ok with a user ID and password, but not SSH using the same credentials?

Which SSH client are you using?

What do you see specifically? Which message / error?

Yes exactly.
I get:
Permission denied, please try again.

twice and on the third:
Permission denied (publickey,password)

In the past i did successfully log into telnet but since then I installed stock firmware that voxel recommends to downgrade to, reset, then installed Voxel firmware on top of that.

Yes exactly.
I get:

twice and on the third:

In the past i did successfully log into telnet but since then I installed stock firmware that voxel recommends to downgrade to, reset, then installed Voxel firmware on top of that.

Do you have any special characters in your password?

If so, change your password to something simple (ie. digital10) and see if you still see the issue.

Note: Remember you are logging into ssh with userid admin or root.

Do you have any special characters in your password?

If so, change your password to something simple (ie. digital10) and see if you still see the issue.

Note: Remember you are logging into ssh with userid admin or root.

my password is all lower case letters. I tried both admin and root on telnet and SSH, on MacOS and Windows. The onnly thing I can tell you that is different about my setup is that its attached to a raspberyy pi with PiHole (dns sinkhole) which I don't see why it will have a conflict with this.

my password is all lower case letters. I tried both admin and root on telnet and SSH, on MacOS and Windows. The onnly thing I can tell you that is different about my setup is that its attached to a raspberyy pi with PiHole (dns sinkhole) which I don't see why it will have a conflict with this.
How do you access your router? Its IP or the domain name (routerlogin)?

Easy enough to test, plug a cable directly into the router to your computer and test without any other variables in play.

Using IP

@Skippy

will try but I don't see how that has an effect.
In case you were using routerlogin.net, it could have been somehow dns related (pihole). But since you are using the IP...

Have you tried without the pihole to make sure it is not coming from it?

my password is all lower case letters. I tried both admin and root on telnet and SSH, on MacOS and Windows.
Well. telnet user login is either 'admin' or 'root'.

SSH user is only 'root'.

I really have no ideas. If you see user/login prompt (telnet or ssh) it means you access your RBR.

Did not you try to temporary change your WebGUI password? It was suggested. And use this new password by telnet/ssh.

Voxel.

Hello!

Just a quick consultation, I have had Orbis on stock FW until lately when the Orbis updated to 2.7.2.104 and I constantly kept loosing the connectivity to the satellite about every 3-5mins (RBR50 + RBS50 satellite) which finally made me switch over to this FW as I got sick and tired of the roller coaster of FW stability (the previous build was very stable for the period of 2 months).

I downloaded the firmware and flashed as instructed, first the satellite then the router. The performance improved a lot but still keep loosing connectivity to the satellite every 20-30 mins for some reason. I did not do any factory resets, I just flashed over the 2.7.2.104. I run the main Orbi in AP mode and I tried router mode but still the same result. Since I had a pack with 2 additional satellites I decided to try the third in the same configuration to avoid hardware issues and kept getting the same result.

Could the issue be that I flashed directly over 2.7.2.104? If that is the case what would be the steps for proper FW installation.

In addition to the above, I noticed my satellite dropping to Poor connection from time to time, even when i put it directly next to the main Orbi.

I do apologize I am not the most savvy network user.

I did not do any factory resets, I just flashed over the 2.7.2.104.

Interesting...

Good test. You are lucky.

Could the issue be that I flashed directly over 2.7.2.104? If that is the case what would be the steps for proper FW installation.

I'd suggest you to

(1) Temporary revert to the stock 2.5.2.4

as it is written in my README.1st. First: satellites, then router.

(2) Perform reset to factory defaults and make some basic initial settings.

(3) Flash to my version. Complete your settings.

Voxel.

Continuation of

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-orbi-rbk50-v-2-5-0-42sf-hw.60308/
. . .
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...k50-rbk53-rbr50-rbs50-v-9-2-5-2-8sf-hw.68690/
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...k50-rbk53-rbr50-rbs50-v-9-2-5-2-9sf-hw.69689/

New version of my custom firmware build: 9.2.5.2.10SF-HW.

Changes (vs 9.2.5.2.9SF-HW):

1. Toolchain: Go is upgraded 1.15.7->1.16.
2. Toolchain: binutils version is upgraded 2.36->2.36.1.
3. Selective integration of 2.7.x.x: UA_Parser utility is updated to fix:
CVE-2020-27861/PSV-2020-0301​
(UA_Parser utility is taken from GPL sources V2.7.0.70)​
4. OpenSSL v. 1.1.1 package is upgraded 1.1.1i->1.1.1j (fixing CVE-2021-23840 and CVE-2021-23841).
5. Fix NG/DNI bug in net-lan for ReadyCLOUD ('alish.sh'->'alias.sh') (thanks to kamoj).
6. lighttpd package is upgraded 1.4.58->1.4.59.
7. wireguard package is upgraded 1.0.20210124->1.0.20210219.
8. wireguard-tools package is upgraded 1.0.20200827->1.0.20210223.
9. OpenVPN is upgraded 2.5.0->2.5.1.
10. ipset package is upgraded 7.10->7.11.
11. util-linux package is upgraded 2.36.1->2.36.2.
12. unbound package (used in stubby) is upgraded 1.13.0->1.13.1.
13. ca-certificates package is upgraded 20200601->20210119.
14. wget package is upgraded 1.20.3->1.21.1.
15. curl package is upgraded 7.74.0->7.75.0.
16. nano package is upgraded 5.5->5.6.
17. Selective optimization '-O3' of kernel components/modules (slight boost).
18. net-wall script: special processing IPv6 option 'net-wall -6 start' or 'net-wall -6 restart' (thanks to HELLO_wORLD).
19. Host tools: upgrade mkimage (u-boot) to 2018.03.

The link is:

https://www.voxel-firmware.com (thanks to vladlenas for his help with hosting).

Voxel.
Thanks Voxel flashed and running perfectly so far

Something weird is happening. I keep losing internet connection but only to my Apple devices. TV and android phone devices seem to keep working.

I am running unbound+pihole+Voxel latest firmware. Any one has any theory why is this happening and how I can fix it?

Perhaps related to the Apple "private address" feature, where it every time uses a different mac-address to connect to your wifi?

Interesting...

Good test. You are lucky.

I'd suggest you to

(1) Temporary revert to the stock 2.5.2.4

as it is written in my README.1st. First: satellites, then router.

(2) Perform reset to factory defaults and make some basic initial settings.

(3) Flash to my version. Complete your settings.

Voxel.
Followed all the steps above and managed to successfully perform the flash operation, reset the routers and did a brand new setup.

The issue is that I am still getting satellite drop off every about 1 hour or so, been running continuous ping tests from 2 laptops, one connected on the router and one on the satellite to establish what is the culprit and have constant single packet losses ever about 25-30s and full signal loss.

Checked the backhaul connection between the router and the satellite and it was Good.

Tried some of the steps that used to help on stock firmware disabled the 20/40 coexistence, moved the 2ghz to channel 6 or 11, 5 ghz to 48, disabled daisy chain, tried with both Mu mimo and improved wifi options for mobile turned off and on and all combinations and simply have an issue where the satellite connectivity fully drops off.

Tried setting the router into AP mode to see if there is any improvement.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Even in AP mode the connection to the satellite dropped as well. Having serious thoughts of scrapping the whole system and moving to something more stable.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!