What's new

Voxel Custom firmware build for Orbi RBK50/RBK53 (RBR50, RBS50) v. 9.2.5.2.10SF-HW

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Voxel

Part of the Furniture
Continuation of

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-orbi-rbk50-v-2-5-0-42sf-hw.60308/
. . .
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...k50-rbk53-rbr50-rbs50-v-9-2-5-2-8sf-hw.68690/
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...k50-rbk53-rbr50-rbs50-v-9-2-5-2-9sf-hw.69689/

New version of my custom firmware build: 9.2.5.2.10SF-HW.

Changes (vs 9.2.5.2.9SF-HW):

1. Toolchain: Go is upgraded 1.15.7->1.16.
2. Toolchain: binutils version is upgraded 2.36->2.36.1.
3. Selective integration of 2.7.x.x: UA_Parser utility is updated to fix:
CVE-2020-27861/PSV-2020-0301​
(UA_Parser utility is taken from GPL sources V2.7.0.70)​
4. OpenSSL v. 1.1.1 package is upgraded 1.1.1i->1.1.1j (fixing CVE-2021-23840 and CVE-2021-23841).
5. Fix NG/DNI bug in net-lan for ReadyCLOUD ('alish.sh'->'alias.sh') (thanks to kamoj).
6. lighttpd package is upgraded 1.4.58->1.4.59.
7. wireguard package is upgraded 1.0.20210124->1.0.20210219.
8. wireguard-tools package is upgraded 1.0.20200827->1.0.20210223.
9. OpenVPN is upgraded 2.5.0->2.5.1.
10. ipset package is upgraded 7.10->7.11.
11. util-linux package is upgraded 2.36.1->2.36.2.
12. unbound package (used in stubby) is upgraded 1.13.0->1.13.1.
13. ca-certificates package is upgraded 20200601->20210119.
14. wget package is upgraded 1.20.3->1.21.1.
15. curl package is upgraded 7.74.0->7.75.0.
16. nano package is upgraded 5.5->5.6.
17. Selective optimization '-O3' of kernel components/modules (slight boost).
18. net-wall script: special processing IPv6 option 'net-wall -6 start' or 'net-wall -6 restart' (thanks to HELLO_wORLD).
19. Host tools: upgrade mkimage (u-boot) to 2018.03.

The link is:

https://www.voxel-firmware.com (thanks to vladlenas for his help with hosting).

Voxel.

Hi Voxel, just asking to make sure.
If coming from voxel version V9.2.5.2.9, do I need to flash the stock 2.2.4 then this latest version?

Thank you!

Hi Voxel, just asking to make sure.
If coming from voxel version V9.2.5.2.9, do I need to flash the stock 2.2.4 then this latest version?

Thank you!

Hi,

Currently: from any Voxel to any Voxel: no intermediate flashing is needed. If it will be needed I'll issue the note.

Just flash and use :)

Voxel.

Thank you! But still experiencing this weird slow down in upload speed after each upgrade. It took about a week or so last time to normalize.

Am very happy with the stability of the Voxel firmware. An impressive breakdown of the updates. Am curious to know how many of these affect AP mode directly as this is what I use?

Am curious to know how many of these affect AP mode directly as this is what I use?

Difficult to separate. You are using WebGUI time to time even in AP mode, right? So

"3. UA_Parser" used to scan devices attached.
"4." OpenSSL 1.1.1 used by lighttpd (i.e. WebGUI daemon).
"6." lighttpd itself.

also

"5." rather more serious bug for R7800/R9000 but not pleasant for Orbi as well (stability).

"17." slight boost of performance for any mode: AP/Router.

and "2". Rather does not look as important for users. But it is a part of build tools. Stability.

Voxel.

FWIW I was on 2.7.2.104. To switch back to Voxel I did Orbi by Orbi.

1. Orbi Satellite 1 dropped back to Netgear 2.5.2.4
2. Orbi Satellite 1 changed to Voxel 9.2.5.2.10
3. Orbi Satellite 2 dropped back to Netgear 2.5.2.4
4. Orbi Satellite 2 changed to Voxel 9.2.5.2.10
5. Orbi Router dropped back to Netgear 2.5.2.4
6. Orbi Router changed to Voxel 9.2.5.2.10

Note: Order 1, 3, 5, 2, 4, 6 would be fine also.

The rules when changing to Voxel:

1. If you are on the Netgear 2.7.X.X set of firmware you MUST drop back to 2.5.2.4.
2. Upgrade the satellites first, with the router last.
3. DO NOT RESET

Due to "life" the satellites actually had to sit on Voxel for a bit as I did not have time to do the router; hence, the router remained on 2.7.2.104. The router did not seem to have a problem with the Satellites on Voxel .10.

One small observation when using the iOS Netgear app, with Voxel .10, I do see the link rates on devices connected through the satellites. With 2.7.2.104 I only saw the link rates if the device was connected through the router.

FYI

@Voxel - thank you.

Last edited:
I am trying to telnet to Orbi to disable Disney Circle but the password and username are not correct. I am using the same password to access the router admin page. Whats the user? I tried admin, root, 192.168.1.1...no success even tried RBR50

I am trying to telnet to Orbi to disable Disney Circle but the password and username are not correct. I am using the same password to access the router admin page. Whats the user? I tried admin, root, 192.168.1.1...no success even tried RBR50

Both usernames: 'admin' and 'root' could be used to access your Orbi by telnet:

admin:
1614846641041.png

root:
1614846658400.png

Password is the same as in GUI. Maybe you password contains some specific characters? Try to enter by SSH with user 'root' and password is your WebGUI password.

Voxel.

Both usernames: 'admin' and 'root' could be used to access your Orbi by telnet:

admin:
View attachment 31534

root:
View attachment 31535

Password is the same as in GUI. Maybe you password contains some specific characters? Try to enter by SSH with user 'root' and password is your WebGUI password.

Voxel.

There is something wrong with my router. It does not accept the WebGUI password for some reason. I went to 192.168.1.1/debug.htm and ticked Enable Telnet. What could be the issue?

Don't know about the Orbi, but the Nighthawks have problems with password containing
special characters, e.g. $ and *.
There is something wrong with my router. It does not accept the WebGUI password for some reason. I went to 192.168.1.1/debug.htm and ticked Enable Telnet. What could be the issue?

I have the same problem, I always have to enable Telnet on debug after every flash so I can connect by ssh.

I have the same problem, I always have to enable Telnet on debug after every flash so I can connect by ssh.
To avoid misunderstanding: connection by ssh is enabled always. No needs to enable telnet in debug page to connect by ssh.

Voxel.

There is something wrong with my router. It does not accept the WebGUI password for some reason.

Don't know about the Orbi, but the Nighthawks have problems with password containing
special characters, e.g. $ and *.

And @kamoj is right. Try to enter to your RBR by ssh client. Such as putty (Windows). "telnet" in Orbi is too weak and could lose some special characters reading them from console logon.

Voxel.

To avoid misunderstanding: connection by ssh is enabled always. No needs to enable telnet in debug page to connect by ssh.

Voxel.
That's it, sshd is enabled but I can't login until I enable telnet on debug. After that, I can disable telnet again and ssh login still works. It only happens after flashing firmware, no problems with router reboots.

That's it, sshd is enabled but I can't login until I enable telnet on debug. After that, I can disable telnet again and ssh login still works. It only happens after flashing firmware, no problems with router reboots.
Well, I am using /root/.ssh/authorized_keys (authorization by keys) so I do not face such issue with ssh....

Voxel.

Mine is not accepting the WebGUI password not over SSH or Telnet. It says
" Permission denied (publickey,password)."

I tried every password I have input in that device ever. I did tick the enaable telnet in debug.htm no use.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!