What's new

Voxel Custom firmware build for Orbi RBK50/RBK53 (RBR50, RBS50) v. 9.2.5.2.18SF-HW & v. 9.2.5.2.18.1SF-HW

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Voxel

Part of the Furniture
Continuation of

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-orbi-rbk50-v-2-5-0-42sf-hw.60308/
. . .
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...50-rbk53-rbr50-rbs50-v-9-2-5-2-16sf-hw.75557/
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...50-rbk53-rbr50-rbs50-v-9-2-5-2-17sf-hw.76178/

New version of my custom firmware build: 9.2.5.2.18SF-HW.

Changes (vs 9.2.5.2.17SF-HW):

1. Toolchain: Go is upgraded 1.17.5->1.17.6.
2. OpenSSL v. 1.1.1 package is upgraded 1.1.1l->1.1.1m.
3. OpenVPN is upgraded 2.5.4->2.5.5.
4. unbound package (used in stubby) is upgraded 1.13.2->1.14.0.
5. getdns package (used in stubby) is upgraded 1.5.2->1.7.0.
6. Add 'check' package ('getdns' dependency).
7. stubby package is upgraded 0.3.0->0.4.0.
8. curl package is upgraded 7.80.0->7.81.0.
9. elfutils package is upgraded 0.182->0.186.
10. libnl-tiny package is upgraded 2020-08-05->2021-11-21.
11. libexif package is upgraded 0.6.22->0.6.24.
12. e2fsprogs package is upgraded 1.46.4->1.46.5.
13. haveged package is upgraded 1.9.15->1.9.17.
14. expat package is upgraded 2.4.1->2.4.2.
15. dbus package is upgraded 1.13.18->1.13.20.
16. bind package is upgraded 9.17.20->9.17.21.
17. nano package is upgraded 5.9->6.0.
18. hd-idle package is upgraded 1.04->1.05.
19. dnscrypt-proxy-2: add UPX packing.
20. Added new user's script for V2 user using the Bitdefender mount (supajason).
21. Host tools: upgrade e2fsprogs to 1.46.5.
22. Host tools: upgrade scons to 3.1.2.
23. Host tools: upgrade mkimage/u-boot to 2021.10.

[updated]

New version of my custom firmware build: 9.2.5.2.18.1SF-HW.

Changes (vs 9.2.5.2.18SF-HW):

1. expat package is upgraded 2.4.2->2.4.3 (fixing CVE-2021-45960, CVE-2021-46143, from CVE-2022-22822 to CVE-2022-22827).
Base Scores: 7.5, 7.8/8.1, 9.8, 9.8, 9.8, 8.8, 8.8, 8.8.​
2. nano: add UTF-8 support.
3. lighttpd package is upgraded 1.4.63->1.4.64.
4. ethtool package is upgraded 5.15->5.16.
5. Host tools: upgrade mtd-utils to 2.1.4.

The link is:

https://www.voxel-firmware.com (thanks to vladlenas for his help with hosting).

Voxel.

Last edited:
Does this still require downgrading to stock 2.5.x first? Upgrading and downgrading firmware has been a nightmare for me on this router. I even tried just yesterday to fix something, and the WebUI just goes into a refresh-loop and never installs it.

Also, I'm interested in hearing the answer to this guy's question: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/questions-about-voxel-in-ap-mode-rbk50-rbr50.76580/

Will I still get most of the improvements if I use my Orbi in AP Mode with Voxel Firmware?

Last edited:
Does this still require downgrading to stock 2.5.x first? Upgrading and downgrading firmware has been a nightmare for me on this router. I even tried just yesterday to fix something, and the WebUI just goes into a refresh-loop and never installs it.
Flashing from any Voxel firmware version to any Voxel firmware version does not require any intermediate flashing to the stock. Just flash new Voxel from WebGUI.

If you are flashing Voxel being on the stock: it is strongly recommended to perform downgrade to the stock 2.5.x first.

Also, I'm interested in hearing the answer to this guy's question: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/questions-about-voxel-in-ap-mode-rbk50-rbr50.76580/

Thanks for pointing this thread. Answered.

Voxel.

Thank you Voxel for another release!

I couldn't find this feature in the docs:
20. Added new user's script for V2 user using the Bitdefender mount (@supajason).
The only user script that appears in QuickStart.txt is /mnt/ntgr/rc.user, that already existed in previous versions. Is this a new one?

I couldn't find this feature in the docs:
Yeah, sorry... Forgot to update the doc. Fixed now. Changed part:

. . .
11. Custom script to run (for Orbi v2 owners, units w/o USB port).

You can create you own script to execute it after every reboot. Script should be placed
to /mnt/ntgr directory or/and /mnt/bitdefender/ (internal nand) with name: rc.user. I.e.

/mnt/ntgr/rc.user

or/and

/mnt/bitdefender/rc.user
. . .

Voxel.

If you are flashing Voxel being on the stock: it is strongly recommended to perform downgrade to the stock 2.5.x first.
Damn.

Is there a reliable way to downgrade that actually works? Every time I try to initiate a manual update through the Orbi WebUI, it just goes into an infinite refresh loop of "Please wait a moment...".

Damn.

Is there a reliable way to downgrade that actually works? Every time I try to initiate a manual update through the Orbi WebUI, it just goes into an infinite refresh loop of "Please wait a moment...".
TFTP.

Voxel.

When I try to run the
Code:
mkfs.ext4 -L optware -O ^64bit /dev/sda1
command, I get "sda1 is already mounted: will not create a filesystem here"

I'm assuming I'm meant to insert a USB into the router's USB port.

Last edited:
command, I get "sda1 is already mounted: will not create a filesystem here"

I'm assuming I'm meant to insert a USB into the router's USB port.

You should umount it first. If you insert USB to router it is mountedf automatically. And make sure that samba daemon is stopped:

Code:
 cd /root
/etc/init.d/samba stop
umount /mnt/sda1
mkfs.ext4 -L optware -O ^64bit /dev/sda1

Voxel.

Hi everyone, does anybody know if the Circle filtering works in this version? Seems like from version V9.2.5.2.14 the filtering is not working.

Hi everyone, does anybody know if the Circle filtering works in this version? Seems like from version V9.2.5.2.14 the filtering is not working.
It would be good if somebody could check this. Before I start my own investigation of this alarm enabling Circle in my RBR. To say true I do not like all these cookies from NG...

?

Voxel.

While I haven't tried the firmware, it's clear that this is a monumental effort. Thanks, Voxel, for making it public. I'm looking to block incoming IP addresses at the router, and my RBR50 doesn't allow me to block incoming IP addresses. Does Voxel firmware allow the user to block IP addresses? Thanks.

While I haven't tried the firmware, it's clear that this is a monumental effort. Thanks, Voxel, for making it public. I'm looking to block incoming IP addresses at the router, and my RBR50 doesn't allow me to block incoming IP addresses. Does Voxel firmware allow the user to block IP addresses? Thanks.
I’m sure you can do it with iptables. I suggest you look at Aegis which makes it super easy to block unwanted traffic both ways. http://www.snbforums.com/threads/aegis-1-7-x.70761/

In .17 the congestion control was changed. Since upgrading to .17 our network seems slightly spotty meaning every now and then we lose some packets, but within a few minutes it’s back to normal. Works well most days, but sometimes annoying when streaming Dan’s it buffers. Is there a simple way to change congestion control protocols for me to do some tests?

In .17 the congestion control was changed. Since upgrading to .17 our network seems slightly spotty meaning every now and then we lose some packets, but within a few minutes it’s back to normal. Works well most days, but sometimes annoying when streaming Dan’s it buffers. Is there a simple way to change congestion control protocols for me to do some tests?
Yes sure. Just example (back to 'yeah'):

Code:
sysctl -w net.ipv4.tcp_congestion_control=yeah

FYI:

Code:
sysctl -a | grep congestion
. . .
net.ipv4.tcp_available_congestion_control = highspeed westwood reno cubic htcp vegas yeah illinois

Voxel.

Thanks @Voxel this is super easy. If I make the change does it take into effect immediately or do I need to restart?
Immediately. Restart should return back the 'highspeed'. You should use overlay on USB changing /etc/sysctl.conf to use your preferred congestion control algorithm:

/etc/sysctl.conf
. . .
net.ipv4.icmp_ignore_bogus_error_responses=1
net.ipv4.tcp_congestion_control=highspeed
net.ipv4.tcp_ecn=0
. . .

Voxel.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online