What's new

Voxel Custom firmware build for Orbi RBK50/RBK53 (RBR50, RBS50) v. 9.2.5.2.5SF-HW & v. 9.2.5.2.5.1SF-HW

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Understood!
I will take a look on the Voxel's Github for inspiration to know if something can be done for the RBK40.

Last edited:
Hello,
Just installed the Voxel firmware V9.2.5.2.5SF-HW on my RBK50v2 (without USB).
At the moment, wifi performance is better than stock firmware and UI is more responsive.

Thank you very much Voxel!

PS: any chance that you build a firmware for RBK40? :)

There is a .1 release 9.2.5.2.5.1.

Make sure you grab that "1".

Last edited:
He only builds for the 50 series Orbi. The only model hardware he has to develop on.

Hello,
Just installed the Voxel firmware V9.2.5.2.5SF-HW on my RBK50v2 (without USB).
At the moment, wifi performance is better than stock firmware and UI is more responsive.

Thank you very much Voxel!

PS: any chance that you build a firmware for RBK40? :)

There was something wrong with 9.2.5.2.5.1 ... at least for me.

My Apple Watch is my gauge. I can always tell when something is up with my WiFi when my Apple Watch loses like 25% battery per hour. My watch typically lasts 2 days easy. I put 9.2.5.1.19 back on ... my watch has settled down and now loses its normal few points every hour. It is like it has to work extra hard to find a signal, or switching access points constantly, or the like.

I notice there is a .2 release out now.

@Voxel what changed in the .2 release?

i too feel my iphone is loosing too much battery but believe it was because battery health... it is an older iphone.

I installed .2, everything ok

@Voxel: Using your firmware with my RBK50 and it works just perfect!
Any chance for you to integrate the scheduling functionality to turn WiFi off at night eg based on a schedule? Unfortunately Netgear dropped this functionality a while ago and since them I am searching for a way by not unplugging the Router from power. Thanks a million, Alex

@Voxel: Using your firmware with my RBK50 and it works just perfect!
Any chance for you to integrate the scheduling functionality to turn WiFi off at night eg based on a schedule? Unfortunately Netgear dropped this functionality a while ago and since them I am searching for a way by not unplugging the Router from power. Thanks a million, Alex

On the Advanced Tab -> Security -> Schedule it gives you an option to set days/times to block access. Does this work for you or do you need to physically disable wireless for some reason?

Last edited:
On the Advanced Tab -> Security -> Schedule it gives you an option to set days/times to block access. Does this work for you or do you need to physically disable wireless for some reason?

Thanks for the hint. I am less looking for blocking access to my Wifi but for turning off the Wifi signal at night since I have the Orbi next to my bedroom but keep the wired internet running for some wired IoT devices.

Thanks for the hint. I am less looking for blocking access to my Wifi but for turning off the Wifi signal at night since I have the Orbi next to my bedroom but keep the wired internet running for some wired IoT devices.

It "sounds" like the new enhanced parental controls in 2.7.0.70 Netgear stock "may" offer something like that. From what I have read it suggests that you can have control device by device. How much control I genuinely have no idea. Considering I have my own UTM (Untangle on a MiniPC), I just use the Orbi router and its satellites as access points. My UTM gives me all the parental controls and then some that I need.

This thread has been idle for awhile, which honestly is a great sign as it means we're all stable with nothing to ask or complain about :)

Thanks Voxel!

Well, I actually tried 2.7.0.70 ... it was a disaster. I could never get it to see my wired Orbi satellite. This was via the "unofficial" download links a few weeks back. When the "official" download links were made, I download and tried again. This time it worked. Wahoo! A few days go by. My internet gets a little choppy so I thought I would try a reboot of my Orbis. I lost my wired Orbi again and my wifi would drop and come back on, drop and come back on; it was a mess.

Back to Voxel 9.2.5.2.5.2 :) I am going to sit here for a while I think.

Good reason not to use unofficial FW files before they get released officially. There is still room for NG making changes before they officially post them.
I would have done a power OFF for 1 minute, then back ON or factory reset of the system after v70 was applied to see if anything changed. Sometimes a reboot isn't enough.

I was on Voxel 9.2.5.2.5.2.. I did revert to stock 2.5.x before going to stock 2.7. Anyway ... life is good on 9.2.5.2.5.2.

Good reason not to use unofficial FW files before they get released officially. There is still room for NG making changes before they officially post them.

FYI, the leak from a few weeks ago was the same official binary that was released recently. One was just the staging for the auto update system.

I was on Voxel 9.2.5.2.5.2.. I did revert to stock 2.5.x before going to stock 2.7. Anyway ... life is good on 9.2.5.2.5.2.

Did you have to revert to an older stock before you went back to Voxel or did you 2.7 -> Voxel without issue?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!