What's new

Voxel Custom firmware build for Orbi RBK50/RBK53 (RBR50, RBS50) v. 9.2.5.2.5SF-HW & v. 9.2.5.2.5.1SF-HW

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I've tried to do that using IP addresses '192.168.1.1' & '192.168.1.250' but the connection fails and the addresses don't respond to a ping.

I did a network scan and the only addresses on '192.168.1.*' are my laptop and something at '192.168.1.42'.

'192.168.1.42' is only there when the laptop is connected to the satellite. I can ping it but can't TFTP to it.

I get a pulsing white light but that's it.

Thanks

To clarify:

1) Unplug power and any ethernet connected device from the satellite.

2) Your laptop should be manually configured to 192.168.1.10 | 255.255.255.0

3) You should have an ethernet cable plugged from the network jack on your laptop to the first Orbi satellite LAN port

4) You should set your laptop to a continuous ping to 192.168.1.1

5) Press and hold the reset button

6) Keep reset button pressed in (don't let it go) while also plugging the power cable back into the satellite. (if you have difficulty with this, you can also keep powered in, but push the power off button instead of removing power cable)

7) Continue to keep reset button pushed for 30 seconds with power plugged back in / turned back on.

8) Release reset button.

9) The LED will go through: solid green -> solid amber -> blinking amber -> blinking green

10) You should receive a reply from your ping, as soon as you do you can use TFTP to PUT the firmware file.

I've tried to do that using IP addresses '192.168.1.1' & '192.168.1.250' but the connection fails and the addresses don't respond to a ping.

I did a network scan and the only addresses on '192.168.1.*' are my laptop and something at '192.168.1.42'.

'192.168.1.42' is only there when the laptop is connected to the satellite. I can ping it but can't TFTP to it.

I get a pulsing white light but that's it.

Thanks
You might want to have a look at this thread on Reddit. I faced the same issue as yours, but was able to do a TFTP after a lot of headbanging

You might want to have a look at this thread on Reddit. I faced the same issue as yours, but was able to do a TFTP after a lot of headbanging

That was my Reddit thread. ;)

This user is using a Mac and roughly followed the same process, the only variance for this particular user was:

Keep the Mac plugged into the router and then restart it with the reset button pushed down with a paperclip. As soon as the router started and the red light blinked I pinged 192.168.1.1 from Terminal and, voila, the red light kept flashing and TFTP mode was activated! I then initiated the transfer of the firmware via the NETGEAR recommended Mac app but it didn't go through, failing with a very cryptic error 103. Will try the Terminal method next

That was my Reddit thread. ;)

This user is using a Mac and roughly followed the same process, the only variance for this particular user was:
Yep, and that's my handle 'a2zRulz' on Reddit. It was good to interact with you as we tried to figure out the root cause. Strangely though if you might remember, in my case it was a different method to put the devices in TFTP mode. :)

Also @Voxel, if you read this, please update and include a strong warning in the README.docx on your homepage which explicitly forbids a factory reset on an Orbi after installing your f/w. Right now the instructions are generic and people still might reset thinking that the instructions are for all the supported devices including Orbi.

To clarify:

1) Unplug power and any ethernet connected device from the satellite.

2) Your laptop should be manually configured to 192.168.1.10 | 255.255.255.0

3) You should have an ethernet cable plugged from the network jack on your laptop to the first Orbi satellite LAN port

4) You should set your laptop to a continuous ping to 192.168.1.1

5) Press and hold the reset button

6) Keep reset button pressed in (don't let it go) while also plugging the power cable back into the satellite. (if you have difficulty with this, you can also keep powered in, but push the power off button instead of removing power cable)

7) Continue to keep reset button pushed for 30 seconds with power plugged back in / turned back on.

8) Release reset button.

9) The LED will go through: solid green -> solid amber -> blinking amber -> blinking green

10) You should receive a reply from your ping, as soon as you do you can use TFTP to PUT the firmware file.

It worked. Thanks so much.

I guess I was too quick/slow with my updating. Once I waited until the ping to 192.168.1.1 was active, the update worked.

Thanks again.

I'm new to this forum but I recently bought a set of 3 rbk50 orbis. The problem I have is that in ap mode the orbis block port forwarding and I have no idea why. Plex in not assessable outside my network. There doesn't seem to be any options to fix the problem on stock firmware. Has anyone else had this issue and did the custom voxel firmware fix the problems. Thanks in advance Jake

I'm new to this forum but I recently bought a set of 3 rbk50 orbis. The problem I have is that in ap mode the orbis block port forwarding and I have no idea why. Plex in not assessable outside my network. There doesn't seem to be any options to fix the problem on stock firmware. Has anyone else had this issue and did the custom voxel firmware fix the problems. Thanks in advance Jake

Doesn't seem to be Orbi specific, seems to be a common issue with Plex, I'd spend some time in their community as there are a number of threads with solutions for various network types that may help.

Was definitely orbi specific

Basically my Plex is on my unraid server. I was previously using powerline adapter as WiFi isn't supported on unraid but this was slow. I then upgraded to a Netgear r7000 and ran this in wireless bridge mode for a while with no problems.

I then purchased the orbis but they refused to forward any ports in access point mode. Plex openvpn nextcloud none of it would work outside the local network.

I have now flashed the voxal custom firmware and I'm happy to report that all my problems are solved. I installed the latest version then set the orbi to access point mode and they worked perfectly no Extra setup required and all my port forwarding was passing from my router to the server through the orbis.

I have the say the firmware is excellent and still can't workout why it didn't work on the stock firmware. For the price it should work in access point mode out of the box

Just wondering if there's a way to force a device onto a specific satalite. For some reason my Nvidia shield seems to want to connect to the router. Kind regards Jake

I am trying to update my RBR50 and RBS50 router and I keep getting the following message:

This firmware file is incorrect! Please get the firmware file again and make sure it is the correct firmware for this product.

I am currently on firmware 2.5.2.4

What am I doing wrong?
or maybe I should ask what is the update process that I must do.

Last edited:
I am trying to update my RBR50 and RBS50 router and I keep getting the following message:

This firmware file is incorrect! Please get the firmware file again and make sure it is the correct firmware for this product.

I am currently on firmware 2.5.2.4

What am I doing wrong?
or maybe I should ask what is the update process that I must do.

1) Did you unzip the downloaded file first?

2) Make sure you are using the right firmware file for each type (ie. the RBR file for the router and the RBS file for the satellite)

1) Did you unzip the downloaded file first?

2) Make sure you are using the right firmware file for each type (ie. the RBR file for the router and the RBS file for the satellite)

Yes I unziped, yes I am using the RBR and RBS correctly. Please explain how the upgrade process is done. Thanks

Unplug all USB connected devices from the router, reboot, flash.

Unplug all USB connected devices from the router, reboot, flash.

Do I upgrade the satellites first then the main router? I understand that I need to reboot, then flash, but please help this old fart out...what is the exact process of the flash. Is is done from the orbi web portal or what??

Yes I unziped, yes I am using the RBR and RBS correctly.

Are you sure you have an RBR50 / RBS50?

Please explain how the upgrade process is done. Thanks Do I upgrade the satellites first then the main router? I understand that I need to reboot, then flash, but please help this old fart out...what is the exact process of the flash. Is is done from the orbi web portal or what??

There is no special process above and beyond what you do for normal stock update.

1) Log into the Orbi web admin: http://orbilogin.com/

2) Advanced Tab -> Administration -> Firmware Update

3) Click on Manual Update

4) While not required, suggested to satellites first (one at a time, waiting till complete). You do this by clicking the box to the left of the satellite name and pushing the update button.

5) You will get a second box pop up (the satellite's admin page) that will prompt you to log in again.

6)You'll get a screen asking you to browse to the firmware file, you push browse and select the RBS50-V9.2.5.2.7.1SF-HW.img file from where you downloaded it and push upload.

7) Wait for it to finish, then do it again for the other satellite (if you have one) and then your router last (using the RBR50-V9.2.5.2.7.1SF-HW.img file)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!